What exactly happens when a dealership agrees negligence on their part? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : What exactly happens when a dealership agrees negligence on their part?

82-T/A
06-24-2005, 10:24 AM
I'm just curious...

What exactly happens if a dealership screws up a repair, forgets to put oil in the motor or something like that, and the car gets damaged further due to their negligence? When it has been determined that the vehicle has been damaged by their doing, what happens?

Who pays for it?

Who ends up being responsible?

From an experience I'm having with a dealership, it seems to me like this is a near-death experience for them to admit negligence... they basically forgot to burp the cooling system or refill the cooling system after servicing my car, and my car is having serious overheating problems now. The car is still at the dealership and they insist that they didn't do anything wrong, but it slipped out in one of their conversations.. "When we got the car back, there was TONS of air in the system..." (this was after they had already worked on it... proving that it was their fault).

I'm just curious what the process is.... because I'm trying to understand why they are so defiant.

angelluv98
06-24-2005, 10:42 AM
I had a similar problem about a year ago when I made a stupid mistake to have my oil changed at the dealership since I had a pretty good deal with a coupon to get a cheap change. When they got done, they "accidently" forgot to put my oil cap back on and oil went spewing everywhere. Not only did it get all over everything, it also dented my hood when they closed the hood on top of it, which was sitting on the ST. They tried to deny it until they were blue in the face, but it got them nowhere. It was interesting though, all of a sudden they admitted fault after I called GM and made a complaint. They ended up having to fix my hood, paint, hood liner, and completely clean my engine bay. The firewall is still stained with oil and my hood still has a couple spots on it, but it's as good as it's going to get considering the fact that the people that I dealt with suddenly disappeared after this all happened.

All I have to say is keep on them. IF it gets to the point that there is nothing more you can do at the dealership level, climb up the ladder and call GM.

action
06-24-2005, 12:21 PM
After reading your other post, after fixing your leak they either didn't fill the system or didnt bleed out the air (likely both) because unless you had a catastrophic failure (big leak) on the way home, you wouldn't loose as much coolant as you had to put in without noticeing it.

As for what to do??? Speak to the manager, then someone from GM, if you get no satisfaction get a lawyer or mention a lawyer.

I agree with you that when you have a car in a garage, especially a dealership you shouldn't have to do a full inspection when you leave, especially for stuff like that. Your comment about a non mechanic soccer mom is dead on.

mcgrady
06-24-2005, 04:15 PM
You're probably going to have to speak with a lawyer. Calling GM is going to do squat in this case because your car was not under warranty.

They are defiant simply because they don't want to pay for their mistake.

Your vehicle should have been filled with coolant and all the air removed. If there was a problem bleeding the system, they should have told you to watch the temperature needle.