Idling Problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Idling Problem

mandkcasey
06-25-2005, 03:02 PM
My Grand Am has a problem I cannot put my finger on. When it first starts, or I start driving at first. the motor is trying to idle properly. It wants to die, but if you give it a little gas or feather the gas pedal, the engine revs up real high and then go back to idle. After I drive for about 3 minutes, it is good to go. I tried replacing the IAT sensor and I even have a different MAS in there but it is still doing it. There are no lights on the dash. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. I have the following mods

S&S Headers
SLP Exhaust
DHP
CAI

Thanks,

SilverGAGT04
06-25-2005, 03:11 PM
Does it happen hot or cold?

mandkcasey
06-26-2005, 09:50 AM
It happens either way. It happens quicker whe it is warm though. Have you had any experiences?

Thanks,

SilverGAGT04
06-26-2005, 11:12 AM
I'm guessing that your running rich. Typicly, that happens when your engine is in open loop, or the O2 sensor is not yet calibrating the fuel going into the engine. My guess would be a O2 sensor, but I am not 100% sure if that is it or which one it would be. I ran into this once at work on a early 90's Buick Lasabre. That car is OBD1 and had not light on, so I dont know if the OBD2 would set the light either. This is my thought.

coupe
06-26-2005, 02:09 PM
^^ thats not it.

I have had this problem since my GA was stock.

Mods (not all the mods)
SLP cat-back
Magnaflow highflow cat no O2 sensor
O2 sim
Flex pipe
S&S headers
ENTIRE exhuast is 2.5"
DC CAI
Taylor Wires
NGK plugs
DHP 1.0v
Caspers fan switch

Alot of people have this problem but no one knows how to fix it or what causes it. Every phuckin thread ive read the same answers are given but still no fix. No one else has had success either. By the time you replace the MAF, IAT, sensors etc. you spent a small fortune and have not fixed it. I am sick of it.
Ussually happens after you have already driven and engine is hot/warm still. Ya fire her up a few min/hours later and the RPM's go up and down up and down up and down for about oh say 1 minute. Then it straitens its self up and is fine. Some times it happens when the engine is completely cold but not as much. If ya tap the gas it flys up to like 1500 rpm and then holds there for a split second then drops back down and go right back to doing it. Sometimes the RPM's will drop so low it stalls. Im so ussed to it now i keep feathering the pedal to make sure it dont stall until it stops doing that.

ViperGTSR
06-26-2005, 02:12 PM
fuel injectors. clean em

helped me anyway, same problem

SilverGAGT04
06-26-2005, 04:37 PM
Ok, I guess that I misunderstood the question. Also, I've never heard of this happening on GA's. Is it only 3.4's or what? I never experianced this situation.

coupe
06-26-2005, 05:17 PM
fuel injectors. clean em

helped me anyway, same problem

I have not done that myself but have read threads of people doing that and had no luck.

coupe
06-26-2005, 05:20 PM
Air Conditioning Also, Uses Belt Power, Check If Its On, Mine Does It When The AC's On

Thats definately not it either. If we meet up some time i can show you what im talkin about. It literally sounds like i have one HELL of a wild cam.

coupe
06-26-2005, 05:21 PM
Ok, I guess that I misunderstood the question. Also, I've never heard of this happening on GA's. Is it only 3.4's or what? I never experianced this situation.

You havent been around long enough plus your GA is very new and wont have it happen for awhile yet most likely. Mine started around 35K miles or so.

ViperGTSR
06-26-2005, 05:45 PM
I have not done that myself but have read threads of people doing that and had no luck.
im not talking like some addative, i actually took the injectors out and cleaned them by hand.

mandkcasey
06-26-2005, 05:49 PM
Well what coupe said explained my problem to a T. You hit the gas and it revs up to 1500. After a minute od driving it is fine. Its like the car is trying to calibrate itself, but it can't until you drive it a little. When I start it up and don't drive, it sounds like it is about to die, then I can totally smell unburnt gas coming out the exhaust. That's why I attempted the IAT and the mass air because it seems like an air monitoring problem. I want to check a couple of things this week and I will post back if I find anything.

Thanks,

coupe
06-26-2005, 06:06 PM
Well what coupe said explained my problem to a T. You hit the gas and it revs up to 1500. After a minute od driving it is fine. Its like the car is trying to calibrate itself, but it can't until you drive it a little. When I start it up and don't drive, it sounds like it is about to die, then I can totally smell unburnt gas coming out the exhaust. That's why I attempted the IAT and the mass air because it seems like an air monitoring problem. I want to check a couple of things this week and I will post back if I find anything.

Thanks,

Yup yup, i know exactly what your talkin about. I have been dealing with it for years.

coupe
06-26-2005, 06:11 PM
im not talking like some addative, i actually took the injectors out and cleaned them by hand.

Yes alot of people have tried that but did not work. That is my next move to fixing this problem but i already know the out come. I just dont want to spend EVEN more money to fix this problem and still have no solution.

ViperGTSR
06-26-2005, 07:20 PM
get a new car

GrandAmGT1996
06-26-2005, 09:55 PM
You might a miss in your coils, not sure but that will make your engine run a little stupid. I think I have one right now. lol. Not making any promises that it will fix it, but autozone can check that for free.

coupe
06-27-2005, 07:12 AM
get a new car

Im in the search for a 3/4 ton truck. Keeping the GA though.

GA SE/T
06-27-2005, 01:10 PM
I had a similar problem, but for me it was the IAC motor. Replaced it and it worked. It would idle high then come back down real fast almost about to die. When I turned on the AC, my motor just stopped. Glad everything is back to normal. :)

GrahamKracka
06-27-2005, 01:14 PM
The only problem I have with Idle is that it Idles really high If I dont start the car for a while...or in the morning...other than that its fine..doesnt want to die like yall are saying. Hell when it does that i can drive around the neighborhood and not press the gas pedal it idles so high ;)