Car sometimes takes a while to "start" [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car sometimes takes a while to "start"

IMICEMAN
06-27-2005, 01:02 PM
Please note, this is not a NEW problem, but one that is bugging me more and more.

PROBLEM:
Most of the time when I start my car I put in the key, turn the key to start the car, but have to "hold the key in that position" until the car "catches/starts".....then I can let go of the key.

Every OTHER fuel-injected car I've ever owned worked such that you simply needed to turn the key to start the car, then let go - the car would start.

I find myself "holding" the key for what seems like at least 2-3 seconds before letting go of the key to start it up.

This was ALWAYS the case, even when I bought it brand new in 2001.

Is this starting behavior "normal" for these cars, or should I have it looked at ?

GrahamKracka
06-27-2005, 01:06 PM
I can just turn the key and it starts....maybe cause its colder where you are?...I dunno

I would also say look at the fuel pump...but you said its been happening since 01 since it was new...so i guess that rules that out....

even then..i dont see it as a problem...unless your trying to make a quick getaway James Bond Style :)

mr_eh
06-27-2005, 01:06 PM
normal for me

02andahalfgt
06-27-2005, 06:32 PM
That started happening to me recently, but only when the gas tank was below a half. Had the fuel pressure regulator replaced and the problem is gone.

Malaclypse
06-28-2005, 01:14 AM
Possible regulator problem. Something to prevent this from happening without replacing any parts is to turn the key to run and let the fuel pump prime the system for a second or two. Cures up everything.

Raven1
06-28-2005, 04:01 PM
my car does the same thing. If I dont hold it at the start position long enough, the starter doesnt engage. My husband tells me its me. I dont think its normal, but it doesnt do it all the time to take it to the dealer.

leviathan
07-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Possible regulator problem. Something to prevent this from happening without replacing any parts is to turn the key to run and let the fuel pump prime the system for a second or two. Cures up everything.

That works for me.

rgdwar1
07-01-2005, 04:57 PM
just yelled at my wife for this one too. Her 03 SE does it as well as my 00gt. But in bothinstances I turn the key, put my seat belt on, adjust my rear view and then start the car...no more problems.

Raven1
07-02-2005, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the tip. I will try that too.

ktgdgt04
07-02-2005, 09:50 PM
It happens to me to with my 9 month old 2004 GT. I honestly think its a pontiac thing, I had a 95 firebird once that did it to, I just thought it was because it was older. I have even noticed it with one of my old friends sunfires that was a 2001 I believe. My car started doing it before I owned it a month and I had it looked at and they found no problems, I think its just pontiacs.