Driver's Side Fuse Box Melted [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Driver's Side Fuse Box Melted

PaPa-G
06-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Hi all, it's my first post here.
First off I did a search for this and was unable to find anything specific for what I'm lookin for.
My driver's side fuse box shorted and it melted a little where the lock/unlock door relays are. In short it needs to be replaced. The dealer is asking 300 for the fix, and I talked to a guy who works at another autoshop, and he said most shops won't touch an electrical problem like that in case it's something more.

Anyway, I was thinking maybe I can give this a shot myself. I'm not a retard when it comes to stuff like this, if I have good directions I can handle most stuff no problem.

Have any of you had to replace the fuse box before? If the majority of the consensus seems to lean to toward taking it in to get it fixed, I guess I can do that. But, obviously I'd rather not.

Thanks.

Edit: Forgot to mention, it's a 2000 GT

Malaclypse
06-29-2005, 01:20 AM
I work at a dealer. I've replaced two fuse-blocks before and I can say this.. Replacing your own fuse block is not for the faint of heart. In a '96 - '99 5.7L pickup you have to sort through about 60 different wires and get each one located in its proper position. If you don't get everything right some components of the vehicle won't work right and you risk cooking electrical components or your wiring harness.

Take it in to get it fixed. If for no other reason then to get a warranty on the repair. Keep in mind if you break your car, you pay for the fix. If the dealer replaces a part and that part fails within the warranty they have to pay for it.

One other question I have, though... Is there a door lock switch shorting out? Do you have an aftermarket alarm that could be constantly commanding one door lock to lock/unlock? Either of these problems could cause your fuse block to melt on you.

Another thing, the dealer is only asking $300 for the repair? I'm guessing most of that is labor and the fuse block itself only costs $30. Knowing how much people can spend at a dealer, that's a steal as far as cost goes. Get the dealer to do it, man. Electricians at the dealers have dealt with this before and won't have any problem getting it right. (At least if they're as anal as I am.)

SilverGAGT04
06-29-2005, 07:32 PM
Did anyone give you a potental reason it melted? I know most GA's have windshield waterleaks. Did water get in there for the last 4-5 years and slowly short it out. I have seen it once. It was a 99 and the passagner side fuse block melted. When I took it out, it was all green and corroded. So maybe check the part after they replace it and see.

PaPa-G
07-05-2005, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the responses. Malaclypse...no as far as I'm aware a door lock switch isn't shorting out, I do NOT have any aftermarket parts on the vehical whatsoever. I beleive the actual price quoted was 286 or something. I see where you are coming from in the warning about cooking other electrical components, I guess just having the locks out is better then something going wrong in replacing it and everything going out, right?

The whole thing of paying to have it fixed kinda drives me nuts to begin with, considering the crap-warranty which I will never buy ever again on anything covers just about everything electrical EXCEPT the fuse box. I'll be getting some extra cash here in a month or so I'll get it fixed then, nothing high on the list.

And I'll definately ask if they know a cause for it, but I'm anticipating some kind of guess that probably isn't close to what happened.

Thanks again.

cavingman
07-05-2005, 03:52 PM
that **** doesnt just happen. go ahead and fix it, but unless you track down the poblem your going to be fixing it again...

Malaclypse
07-06-2005, 01:39 AM
A waterleak could have very well caused G's problem.

About the warranty you bought.. which one was it? GMPP ValuGuard obviously doesn't cover anything but the powertrain because its cheap. Majorguard will cover almost everything. Like fuse blocks melting... and whatever caused it...

PaPa-G
07-08-2005, 12:33 PM
A waterleak could have very well caused G's problem.

About the warranty you bought.. which one was it? GMPP ValuGuard obviously doesn't cover anything but the powertrain because its cheap. Majorguard will cover almost everything. Like fuse blocks melting... and whatever caused it...

I don't remember off hand. All I know is, after the guy from the dealer told me it wasn't covered, I checked the book, and under the "Electrical" part they had just about everything else you could think of EXCEPT the fuse box. I think they even had the relays being covered, if I'm not mistaken.