transmission control module [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : transmission control module

wannabefishing
06-28-2005, 10:52 AM
what/where is this? Car threw code 1870 which is the TCM, but i have no idea where/what it is... gonna grab a haynes/chilton tomorrow, but need to know if it's okay for the wife to take the car to work- 45min each way in the boonies....

any help is appreciated

freakydeaky
06-28-2005, 11:20 AM
The Transmission Control Module controls all electronic operations of the transmission. The TCM receives information regarding vehicle operation from both direct and indirect inputs, and selects the operational mode of the transmission. Based on the information received from these various inputs, the TCM determines the appropriate shift schedule and shift points, depending on the present operating conditions and driver demand. This is possible through the control of various direct and indirect outputs. ............ location---> Right (passenger) side of the engine compartment near the firewall, mounted to the inner fender

wannabefishing
06-28-2005, 12:11 PM
excellant, thank you very much.... gonna grab a new one, hoping it doesn't cost too much, and replace.... thanks again!! :)

wannabefishing
06-29-2005, 02:58 PM
well i assume my '96 is different that the 99+... but anyways, she now sounds supercharged, i can see myself bent over rubbing sand on my ass and then getting shafted :(

freakydeaky
06-30-2005, 09:21 AM
well i assume my '96 is different that the 99+... but anyways, she now sounds supercharged, i can see myself bent over rubbing sand on my ass and then getting shafted :(

:haha:

Coop
07-01-2005, 10:25 AM
I thought 1870 was "transmission component slipping"? That could be anything from the lockup converter to the valve body to slipping clutches/bands or possibly the control module.

wannabefishing
07-02-2005, 06:38 AM
in the book it says "transmission module unstable"... took it to a transmission shop and they said the transmission itself is a-okay, but they can't diagnose the rest of the problem without the light being on..... first i have to replace the alternator tho....