help with grinding on left turns [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : help with grinding on left turns

rgdwar1
07-01-2005, 03:46 PM
ok...so I pull out of a parking lot taking a left, hadn't had the chance to put on AC or tunes yet and I hear a slight grinding that gets faster as I go faster until the road noise drones it out. Anyone have a clue as to what this may be?

Brake pad? Caliper?

I did a search and came up with: " Check your transmission fluid." Checked that and that wasn't the problem. ny help would be appreciated.

:iconfused

SkiZZor
07-01-2005, 06:33 PM
Only thing I can think of is the tires if you have the Goodyear RS-As. I had the same grinding noise when I bought it, I took it in to the dealer and they said it was the tires. I thought it was the brakes too when I heard it. Apparently they have some kind of ribbing on the tire that grinds against the rim.

I also had another grinding sound noise on hard turns at slow speeds. I have no clue what that is, but I would imagine it to be the power steering pump.

rgdwar1
07-02-2005, 10:57 PM
Yeah, but if it was the tires...wouldnt the grinding happen on left AND right turns? Mine is just left. Anyone else with any opinions?

pontga00
07-02-2005, 11:05 PM
if it only happens when you turn in one direction, its probably a wheel bearing.

Malaclypse
07-02-2005, 11:56 PM
It could be the inner bead on the tires causing this noise. If they were loaded just right and had an internal problem the tires could definitely be at fault.

LukeD
07-03-2005, 12:09 AM
I had the same thing and it ended up that one of my splash shields (the one that protects the crank pully) had come loose and the wheel was rubbing against it every time I made a hard turn in one direction (forget if it was left or right)

Hopefully it's a cheap and easy fix like mine was

tenspeed
07-03-2005, 04:52 AM
Since it's happening on left turns, I would check the right front. When you turn left the weight is transferred to the right side and the right front wheel is pushed towards the center of the car.

It could be a wheel bearing, the rotor hitting the brake pad or the wheel rubbing the inner liner (either side). Easiest thing to do is to check the tire pressures and check the liners for clean spots.

rgdwar1
07-03-2005, 08:48 AM
liners? You mean the rotor lining?

tenspeed
07-03-2005, 10:43 AM
Like LukeD said, the wheel well inner liner, splash shield, black plastic piece that is inside of the front tires. You may be rubbing on that for some reason.

rgdwar1
07-04-2005, 07:07 AM
Like LukeD said, the wheel well inner liner, splash shield, black plastic piece that is inside of the front tires. You may be rubbing on that for some reason.

I'll have to turn the tires and take a look. Very strange. If I son't see anything how do you check to see if it's the wheel bearing?

manic mechanic
07-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Lift the car by the frame and have both front wheels off the ground. Grab each tire at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions and try to tilt the wheel by rocking it back and forth. If there is any play, the bearing is shot.

Sounds to me like your right wheel bearing may be going.

tenspeed
07-04-2005, 08:01 PM
When a wheel bearing is on it's way out, it will make noise during a turn. As it gets worse, it will make noise all the time.