Powertuners on more than one car? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Powertuners on more than one car?

deadhorsey
07-06-2005, 07:36 PM
Me and a buddy are thinking of going half and half on the purchase of a powertuner.

My question is, can we use one tuner on multiple cars? I had heard a rumor somewhere that the tuner is actually only able to work with ONE VIN... That would really suck, but is it true? If so, is there a workaround?

Thanks.

sc02grandam
07-06-2005, 07:38 PM
2 vins i believe

deadhorsey
07-06-2005, 07:53 PM
What do you think I should do to verify this? I don't wanna cough up the dough if I'm not gonna be able to use it!

sc02grandam
07-06-2005, 07:58 PM
http://www.digitalhorsepower.com/

deadhorsey
07-06-2005, 08:36 PM
Ummmm That's not the site... That's a web design company.

I THINK the actual site is http://www.digitalhorsepowerinc.com/products.htm ...Yet there is no mention of the powertuner on their products page. What a pain in the ass.

deadhorsey
07-08-2005, 08:09 PM
Who actually has a powertuner, and who HAS used it on more than one car???

lucky13rme
07-09-2005, 06:35 AM
AFAIK it's only one car, because the programmer is vin locked and also stores the factory program on it, atleast thats how it is on the hypertach and superchips I'm familiar with.

5-lO
07-10-2005, 12:00 AM
I dont beleive so... becuase I was aware that you could buy a PCM and tune it if its of the same model year? And also the program had a VIN changer, or something to that effect?

Coop
07-10-2005, 04:56 AM
I was under the impression you could buy one for one VIN, multiple VINS, or all VINS, just depends how deep your wallet is. I may be thinking of a different tuner too. Most will let you add a VIN for a little extra cash iirc.

If you really want to know for sure just call the company that makes it and ask for someone in tech support.

jimraelee
07-10-2005, 07:22 AM
I just purchased my PT.... You get option of 2 cars via the model and year.... you can purchase additional types for more $$$. you can get any pcm and flash it to your year and type... so if two diff engines and trannys are the same you can make his 98 a 00 if you wanted... IM NOT SAYING IT IS THE BEST THING TO DO, but Im getting a spare pcm and using this a a test pcm and saving mine for default... for the record, Ihave a 00pcm/harness in my GA and the pcm has 98 code it in, take that for whats its worth