how to- replace the tilt steering lever [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : how to- replace the tilt steering lever

action
07-07-2005, 09:30 AM
I accidently cracked off the lever for the tilt steering and I was ever so pleased that the part could be purchased at the dealer since scrap yards wouldn't sell the item seperatly.

First remove the 3 screws that hold the plastic to the bottom of the steering column, then remove the upper and lower halves.

When you look at the cast aluminum piece that the lever goes into, you'll notice its wrapped in a piece of thin black steel on 3 sides. When looking at it, you have to bend down the steel on the right side of this block to expose the set pin that keeps the lever in place. Once the pin is taken out (bent needle nose pliers work well), slide the old lever out and slide the new lever in. Reinstall the lock pin and bend the black steel piece back into place. Once you reinstall the steering column plastic (which can be a real PITA to fit the lower piece over the tilt lever) your done.

AaronGAGT
07-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Hmmm... mines been broken forever... gettin that lower piece of plastic over the lever is how i broke it the first time. whats the trick?

action
07-08-2005, 05:49 AM
I dremeled mine a little, made it alot easier and still looks stock!!!

AaronGAGT
07-08-2005, 11:04 AM
heh... good idea! How much did the piece cost though?

Kdawg207
07-08-2005, 11:30 AM
mine broke off during my alarm install....big head hit it...

easy enough to replace though