Alero starting problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Alero starting problems

pyro
07-07-2005, 11:55 AM
Im sorry if this has been talked about before, and please direct me to the post and delete this one if it has, but my girlfriends alero, its like the fuel pump or filter is bad, or maybe its the plugs. but every once in awhile it wont start, shell try afew times and it wont, then sometimes like 5 minutes later it will start, im going to setup an appointment to get it checked out but they said it will only be correct if its not starting. does anyone know exactly what is causing this/ had it happen to them? thanks in advance and again im sorry if its been talked about before. :hammer: :iconfused

jeremy

freakydeaky
07-07-2005, 12:03 PM
fuel lines may be partly clogged... or the fuel is going bad..... or possibly a bad tank of gas... which motor does she have?

pyro
07-07-2005, 12:21 PM
v6, its been happening for like 2 months so i dont think its a bad tank of gas

pyro
07-07-2005, 06:00 PM
bump, anyone else have any positive input?

Apollyon9515
07-07-2005, 08:17 PM
:< ive had the same problem for year now. i changed the plugs and wires, not the fuel filter yet. When its drops in temp mine wont start even from 80 to 50 it wouldnt start if you find the problem message me or post it thanks

pyro
07-08-2005, 06:15 AM
bump

freakydeaky
07-08-2005, 07:14 AM
have you posted at aleromod (www.aleromod.com)

pyro
07-08-2005, 07:20 AM
ok, its not running hot, its not all the time and im not sure when anything was last changed, also there are no codes being thrown, just a pain in the ass/danger(alot of girls getting abducted in fl lately) for a 17 year old who gets off work at 11-12 all the time.
when it comes to changing plug wires, do you have to take the plugs out? cuz thats a pita IMO and i dont really wanna do it, also how hard is it to change out the filter? its about 30 mins of labor at a garage by my house. :rage:

Aleromi
07-09-2005, 08:12 AM
ok, its not running hot, its not all the time and im not sure when anything was last changed, also there are no codes being thrown, just a pain in the ass/danger(alot of girls getting abducted in fl lately) for a 17 year old who gets off work at 11-12 all the time.
when it comes to changing plug wires, do you have to take the plugs out? cuz thats a pita IMO and i dont really wanna do it, also how hard is it to change out the filter? its about 30 mins of labor at a garage by my house. :rage:

It sound like u have a failing fuel pump.. and the best thing to do is change it.

Goto ur local auto part store and price the part.. It shouldnt be much more than 300.. Y cuz in the new cars u get the pump and the sender too..

jimraelee
07-10-2005, 07:27 AM
when the car wont start do you hear the fuel pump priming when you put key in and turn to RUN position, the fuel pump should prime for 7-10 sec then shut off... i really doubt the plugs and wires are causing the issue... plugs and wires will cause the car to run like crap but if the wire has a break in line it will happen all the time, not on part time basis... sounds like it could be a hot module issue.. sometimes when modules get hot they fail until cool... but check that fuel pump thing I mentioned

pyro
07-10-2005, 10:13 AM
im pretty sure its the pump hearing what you guys said and on other forums, i hope its that rather than the ignition coil as ive heard also.

jimraelee
07-10-2005, 10:42 AM
another idea is to have someone depress the test port on the fuel rail to see if there is pres in the line, when you try to start it... but if your driving along, and shut off the car then try to restart it there should be enough residual pres in line for car to start back up, but after its sat for a while the pres bleads back off, and so it needs the priming I was talking about.. and other trick is to get can of carb clean, when the car wont start removed the air intake and open the throttle body and couple of squirts in the mainifold while the eng is being cranked, it should start and then die if its a bad fuel pump... also screw driver in the spark plug boot laid against the motor trick will check for bad coil/ignition module...

pyro
07-12-2005, 11:12 AM
by the itme i do all that it wiwll most likey start, i can hear the pump do its thing when the car starts, does that mean its still good?

jimraelee
07-12-2005, 11:27 AM
by the itme i do all that it wiwll most likey start, i can hear the pump do its thing when the car starts, does that mean its still good?

well if the pump is running when it starts, this means the pump is working, but if the pump is not going when the car wont start means there is a elec issue

pyro
07-12-2005, 11:56 AM
ok, so is there anything i can check w/out removing the tank?

jimraelee
07-12-2005, 01:56 PM
ummm it might not be the pump side, but rather someithng at the relay side up under the hood

pyro
07-12-2005, 02:00 PM
i got the filter changed today and it was really really dirty, i think that may have been it, ill bring this thread back up if it isnt, thanks for the help.

pyro
08-03-2005, 06:23 AM
i hate to bring up a dead thread but shortyl after i had the fuel filter changed it started up again, so i took it down to tuffy (unfortunately they were the only place open) and they scanned it and it turns out it was the cam sensor. the air filter, fuel filter, plugs and serpintine belt also needed to be replaces $450! Ouch! good thing i wasnt paying for it.

brim
08-03-2005, 05:00 PM
cam sensor eh?
well if that's what it scanned..

i'd say bad battery connection or battery (you have/had lights the times you went to start it?)

faulty starter, did it click, spin, do nothing?

but if you're all set i guess it don't matter

mcgrady
08-03-2005, 06:26 PM
i hate to bring up a dead thread but shortyl after i had the fuel filter changed it started up again, so i took it down to tuffy (unfortunately they were the only place open) and they scanned it and it turns out it was the cam sensor. the air filter, fuel filter, plugs and serpintine belt also needed to be replaces $450! Ouch! good thing i wasnt paying for it.

Did the vehicle do the no start condition while with them or did they just replace the sensor based on a DTC stored in the computer?

I don't think a camshaft position sensor on your car would cause a no start. I'm pretty sure the PCM has a substitute value for it if it goes bad. The car won't run well but it will run.

pyro
08-03-2005, 06:32 PM
Did the vehicle do the no start condition while with them or did they just replace the sensor based on a DTC stored in the computer?

I don't think a camshaft position sensor on your car would cause a no start. I'm pretty sure the PCM has a substitute value for it if it goes bad. The car won't run well but it will run.
it didnt start for them, thats how they found out thats what it was.
the sensor was reading something like 2000 rpms, but the engine wasnt doing anything. everything works fine now though.

mcgrady
08-03-2005, 06:50 PM
Ok, good. Hopefully that's the end of your problems.

pyro
09-20-2005, 07:20 PM
bad news, its back. any other suggestions?

pyro
09-22-2005, 11:23 AM
c'mon guys...

eric99gt
09-22-2005, 11:49 AM
I highly doubt it's any of that. Alot of other GA's have experienced similar issues. What most suggest to do is make sure you allow the fuel pump to fully prime. IE wait about 10 seconds after you turn the key to on, before you try and start it.

redfox
11-09-2005, 07:00 PM
Dead Horse alive....I was having the same problem... I'm now 250 miles from home on business and the car won't start. could not hear the fuel pump. Had it towed to a dealer, he checked the fuel pressure and it read 7ps1. fuel pump finally bit the dust. $750 including towing and lifetime Mr. Goodwich Warrenty. Hope this is it.

pyro
11-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Dead Horse alive....I was having the same problem... I'm now 250 miles from home on business and the car won't start. could not hear the fuel pump. Had it towed to a dealer, he checked the fuel pressure and it read 7ps1. fuel pump finally bit the dust. $750 including towing and lifetime Mr. Goodwich Warrenty. Hope this is it.
damn, i really hope thats not her problem, she works part time at a grocery store after school and she just got done paying for a cam sensor.

redfox
11-09-2005, 07:11 PM
my acting the same way. it Finally bit the dusk. they have to drop the tank that is why it is soo expensive. I'll let you know for sure, but i'm 95% sure. If she is still haveing the problem I would definily get it changed because she could wind up like me and be 250 miles from home and this happen.