96 GA GT tranny fact info request [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 96 GA GT tranny fact info request

nystreetscene
07-07-2005, 07:16 PM
I have a 98 Cavalier Z24 with the 2.4L. My tranny blew apart at the track a couple of weekends ago and a buddy has a 96 GA GT tranny he wants to sell me. I was wondering if some one could fill me in with some info on the GA tranny, who makes it, how strong it is, how much HP/TQ it can handle, does it have limited slip, yatta, yatta.

Yes, the motor in the Grand Am is 2.4.

Matt95GT
07-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Auto/manual? Which engine does your friend have?

Assuming both are the 2.4 Twin Cam and manual, then they are identical transmissions... both Isuzu.

Nobody has exact figures on max HP/TQ... but supposedly the earlier (not sure which years this includes, but does include 95) ones handle more since the differential gears were made differently. I've personally witnessed 314 HP go thru a 95 Isuzu.

No Grand Am ever came with a limited slip differential.

nystreetscene
07-07-2005, 07:29 PM
Dang, some one told me some of the quad four equipped trannies came with lsd, I was so excited too. Thanks for the info :thumbs:

mcgrady
07-07-2005, 07:34 PM
The Isuzu built tranny used with the LD9 is weak. My 96 Sunfire GT was on it's 3rd when I traded it in. A little over 100k on it. My car before that was a 1990 Beretta GTZ LG0 Q4 and I never had a single tranny issue with it.

nystreetscene
07-07-2005, 07:41 PM
I guess ill have to do some research and find out what cars had the stronger trannies. Was the tranny on your GTZ a Isuzu as well ?

Matt95GT
07-07-2005, 08:21 PM
I guess ill have to do some research and find out what cars had the stronger trannies. Was the tranny on your GTZ a Isuzu as well ?

The Quad 4 HO's (LG0) were all mated to Getrag 5-speeds... they are stronger, and have (arguably) better gear ratios. The 2000-2001 2.4's also used a revised version of the Getrag.

I have one of each... I will agree the Getrag is the stronger of the 2, although the Isuzu seems to be handling the abuse of ~200HP at the crank decently... even on the stock clutch @ 143,000 miles.

nystreetscene
07-07-2005, 09:51 PM
Was 95 the last year of the HO ?? I dont think they made an OBD2 version of it but I could be wrong.

I am probably pushing 200 at the crank but after lowering pressure in my tires my last run at the track and with my stage 3 clutch it buckled.

Matt95GT
07-07-2005, 10:35 PM
Was 95 the last year of the HO ?? I dont think they made an OBD2 version of it but I could be wrong.

94 was the last year of the HO, it was OBD1.5. 95 was a transition year, all Quad 4's were LD2's. Some of the 95's were OBDII, the rest are OBD1.5 - it appears all manuals are OBD1.5, and only some (I'd assume late year) autos are OBDII.

What exactly do you have done to push a 2.4 to 200HP normally aspirated? I have a feeling your clutch contributed to the failure - any slipping now becomes excess torque that the trans has to handle.

nystreetscene
07-07-2005, 11:58 PM
Im going to list everything I remember: 60mm TB, Injen WAI, upper motor mount insert, lower motor mount, rksport 4-2-1 header, straight through cat and rksport o2 sensor sim, rksport dual cat back which I just recently converted to single, spec stage 3 clutch, spec alum. flywheel and some very stiff coil over springs. Not that they make a difference but I also have VSS switched and blocked off EGR. Thanks for all the info above, its hard to find peaple that truly know about the quads and are so willing to share.