Whining noise from belt area [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Whining noise from belt area

ruthless brad
07-11-2005, 06:16 PM
I have a 99 Alero and there is a whining noise coming from under the hood on the passenger side. It seems to be coming from somewhere in the belt area. It sounds a lot like the noise the CD player makes when ejecting a CD, assuming you have the same CD player that I have. It gets louder and the pitch gets slightly higher as the RPMs increase (it's not coming from the speakers). I can just barely hear it when idling. At first I thought it was the alternator bearings going, because I have gone through so many alternators before on this car. Replaced it, noise remains. Then I thought it might be the belt. Changed the belt, noise still remains. I had the power steering pump replaced two weeks ago before the noise started. The noise started all of a sudden one day, not gradually. I don't know what else it could be. I would like to do the work myself because I cannot afford to have my car in the shop for a day. The noise is the same whether the A/C is on or off. I know it could be a number of things, but I'm just looking for some help to limit the number of things it could be. I suppose I could bring it to a mechanic and see what he thinks it is, then do the work myself if it will take him overnight to fix. Thanks in advance.

iceman1793
07-11-2005, 07:08 PM
The fluid in the P/S pump may need to be topped off. If it is full you may have air in the system because of the newly replaced pump. If this is the case try turning your steering wheel all the way to the right and left a couple of times. I hope this helps.

ruthless brad
07-11-2005, 07:14 PM
The fluid level is right at the 'Cold' level mark, but the car is hot. I'll check the level in the morning. Thanks for the advice.

iceman1793
07-11-2005, 07:23 PM
If the car is hot it should be at the hot level. Sometimes when you install a new pump it collects air and after driving a while it needs to be topped off.

AznGA
07-11-2005, 08:35 PM
I have the same problem. I have put in more power steering fluid one time, because it used to leak. I will check my level sometime as well.

ruthless brad
07-12-2005, 03:59 PM
The power steering fluid level is good now, but the noise is still there. I just realized something today... the sound has been changing a little bit. A few days ago, it sounded like TV or radio static. Today is sounds more like a small electric motor, like the ejection of my CD player. I do not think it has anything to do with the power steering because the sound is constant as I rotate the steering wheel. Could it be one of the pulleys making the noise?

SilverGAGT04
07-12-2005, 06:22 PM
I think its the alternator.

ruthless brad
07-12-2005, 08:25 PM
I think its the alternator.

That's what I thought, too, but I put a new one in and the noise did not go away.

99REDGAGT
07-13-2005, 08:57 AM
I have had the same noise since having my alternator replaced. When I bought the car it didn't make that sound, then the alternator went. If you listen very closely to the alternator you will hear it. I can hear mine when idling also.

Kdawg207
07-13-2005, 08:58 AM
That's what I thought, too, but I put a new one in and the noise did not go away.

so the noise was there before and after yur new alt was installed.

maybe it's as simple as a worn belt

ruthless brad
07-13-2005, 03:32 PM
so the noise was there before and after yur new alt was installed.

maybe it's as simple as a worn belt

Yes. I started hearing the noise, so I replaced the alternator. Since that didn't get rid of the noise, I replaced the serpentine belt. The noise is still there, so I know that it isn't from the alternator or the serpentine belt. Are there any other belts under the hood? I think I'm going to bring it in to a mechanic Thursday evening if I don't locate it myself. I gave one of my co-workers a few rides when his car was in the shop, so he owes me.

AznGA
07-13-2005, 03:37 PM
Can the power steering pump make the noise?

Rich
07-13-2005, 03:58 PM
supercharger? :heh:

ruthless brad
07-13-2005, 04:20 PM
supercharger? :heh:

I wish!

Can the power steering pump make the noise?

It might have something to do with power steering, but considering it was just replaced a couple weeks ago (for making a loud grinding noise), that isn't very likely. It's still worth looking into, though. I just wish each accessory was driven by a different belt... then I could remove one at a time and easily diagnose the source of the sound.

eric99gt
07-13-2005, 08:22 PM
what kind of belt are you using? Some belts are known to make some noise. My gatorback belt whines like a supercharger.

ruthless brad
07-14-2005, 03:21 PM
what kind of belt are you using? Some belts are known to make some noise. My gatorback belt whines like a supercharger.

It's a poly-cog belt. I've been using the exact same brand/type of belt for a couple years and have never heard this sound before. It does have a slight whine to it, but nowhere near the volume I'm hearing now.

Kdawg207
07-15-2005, 08:09 AM
check the idler pulley?

Hodge
07-15-2005, 08:21 AM
have you checked your power steering fluid lately? .. my buddy has the same problem with a totally different car. His power steering fluid is leaking and if he doesn't fill it up it makes a nasty whine.

ruthless brad
11-12-2005, 01:10 PM
I just fixed the noise today (4 months, 2 belts, and an alternator later). I changed my belt today because it had been squeaking lately (the fact that it has stretched out so much in only a couple of months worried me initially). Just for fun, I spun the belt tensioner pulley. Guess what I heard... GRINDING NOISE!!! I guess the bearings in the belt tensioner pulley were shot, causing that awful noise and stretching out my belt prematurely. I went to the auto parts store to get a belt tensioner pulley, but all they had was the entire belt tensioner assembly for about $20 more ($40 total). I didn't want to wait for them to order the pulley, so I got the whole darn assembly. Plopped the new tensioner in and my car is nice and QUIET. I can't believe how quiet the thing is... can't remember it ever being that quiet. Now I can hear all of the little creaks and rattles from the various cheap interior parts. Lesson learned: start replacing the cheap (and easy to replace) parts first when I can't isolate a noise.

polo77
06-25-2006, 08:43 AM
i have that same problem now. went to a baseball game and i did not here it before i went to the game, came out to leave and there it was. sounds like its coming right from the alternator. but ill deff. give this a try. this forum is great.