cooling issue... $5 to the one who solves it [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : cooling issue... $5 to the one who solves it

timmat1
07-11-2005, 08:20 PM
First lets go thru what I've replaced and what it's not.... it's not the water pump or the thermostat. I've flushed it... so I dont think anywhere is cloged.

I will fill up the cooling system with coolant (and bleed the air out) then I will turn on the engine. The engine wil heat up normally and then I turn on the heat inside the car. It will blow heat for a few minutes... but then it stops blowing hot air and the air turns cool (not just warm) then It'll start to spue up coolant thru the overflow line. And when I open the bleader theres nothing but air. So it's kinda like the system is backing up and sending all the coolant to the overflow then it gets too much in there and spits it out and then when the engine cools the coolant tank and most of the cooling system has no coolant. I thought that something could be blocking the line to the heater core hence no coolant getting to it causing the cool air inside the cabin and the air out of the bleeder. but I flushed it a few times and I reversed flushed it and everything seemed fine. I am going to buy a overflow cap tommorow to see if its that. Oh and one more things... every now and then it has this pulse that will occur in the big hose going from the radiator to the engine on the right side. This pulse is pretty intense and makes the hose jump. Oh and theres no coolant leaking into the oil.

I will pay anyone 5 dollars via paypal to the one who solves this problem. I would like to pay more but being in the military and married.... I'm very poor. Thanks in advance for your help :wave:

stangdude
07-11-2005, 08:45 PM
the overflow cap is actually the radiator cap on these cars, and it seems like it could possibly be a hella blowout of the lower intake manifold gasket or even head gaskets. Sometimes the head gaskets blow in such a way that the oil is fine, it leaks air into the water jackets and thus the backflow into the overflow tank. no matter what, sorry to say this seems like a pretty big problem that probably can't be fixed cheaply.

iceman1793
07-11-2005, 08:48 PM
The first thing it's your thermostat. If you replaced your thermostat you have to bleed the system. You have to run the engine to temperture and then bleed the system. Turn on the vehicle and run it until it reaches temperature then open the bleeder.

stangdude
07-11-2005, 08:51 PM
actually, check the thermostat too, i've seen probably a dozen in the past 5 years of selling them that were bad out of the box. Dunk the stat in a bowl of really hot water, you should see the pentle open up and close as you take it in and out of the water. This kind of thing is definately possible, and extremely aggrevating

AaronGAGT
07-11-2005, 08:54 PM
I had this problem for a while... then eventually it just stopped. I dont know what the heck was goin on but til this day it worries me.

atc3434
07-11-2005, 09:09 PM
Bad and improperly installed caps are fairly common with this car, I would have the cap checked out.

Malaclypse
07-12-2005, 01:09 AM
Pressure test the cap and make sure there isn't air in the system. A bleed on these cars can take a half hour or more to get everything out.

One thing that helps out alot is opening the bleeder before you fill the car with coolant.

deadhorsey
07-12-2005, 11:23 AM
You said that you filled the system up with coolant... You DID put half water in right? It's not that uncommon to overlook that you need half water... I'm not being a smartass, but if it's all coolant, I think your problem COULD happen.

timmat1
07-12-2005, 05:42 PM
You said that you filled the system up with coolant... You DID put half water in right? It's not that uncommon to overlook that you need half water... I'm not being a smartass, but if it's all coolant, I think your problem COULD happen.

yes I used the right mixture.... I wasn't able to get to autozone today to get the 180 degree thermostat and cap... but I'll get those tommorow.

when I filled up the coolant I left the bleeder open like it says in the manual... then after it steadily flows out you put it back in then brought the car up to operating temperature then would bleed again. then after another 5 minutes or so I would go to bleed it and no coolant at all... all air.... at that time the coolant is all backing up in the overflow and spueing out.... does that narrow the selection of problems down? thanks so much guys :cheers:

SilverGAGT04
07-12-2005, 06:08 PM
I think head gasket. I seen several of these in the dealer in the past year or 2.

deadhorsey
07-12-2005, 07:50 PM
*iagree* What he said sounds right.

Molson
07-13-2005, 07:29 AM
I can take up to an hour to properly bleed all the air out. It acutally just sounds like you still have an air pocket in there.

deadhorsey
07-13-2005, 12:01 PM
Sure sounds like this problem sucks! But here is what I do to avoid ANY air pockets in the cooling system... I flush the living hell out of it.

After you get what you believe to be the majority of the old collant out, I actually will leave the bleeder open. And while the engine is running, I stick my garden hose into the fill tank. (just make sure the hose is pumping enough water in as the bleeder is draining out.

...Once you get this going, you'll notice that the fluid coming out is actually still colored (not clear, like the water your putting in) for a good five minuets or so! We have really big radiators on our cars, compared to many other models. I sit there, leaving the motor running, "flushing" everything for a good 15 mins or so. Eventually the bleeder valve has very clear water running out of it.

At this point, I shut off the hose, and once the bleeder seems to be slowing down on it's draining a bit, I shut down the motor, make my 50 50 mix of coolant and water, and I'm done.

If you think about it, perhaps that will kinda force any air pockets out of your cooling system that are being stubborn.

Hope it helps,
--Jim

timmat1
09-10-2005, 09:40 AM
well I thought it was fixed only have have further problems. I had no other choice but to take it in to a shop. They did a few tests and told me it has 2 problems. The Intake pressure is leaking and it has a blown head gasket. Has anyone had any experiance with steel seal (http://www.steelseal.com/eng/video.html) I am in the army and am POOR. Need a fix that will work so I can sell it. Thanks for any input

deadhorsey
09-10-2005, 12:27 PM
I'd say go for it. It does sound like a gimmik, but might work at least temporarily.

Kinda like that "stop oil leak" stuff... It really works, just not as well as they claim...

So I'd be the perfect thing for you to use, to at least get the damn car sold. ...HOPEFULLY.

Now what's important, is that you get some trigger time, and go blow away some terrorists!!! :horse:

GrahamKracka
09-10-2005, 12:46 PM
well I thought it was fixed only have have further problems. I had no other choice but to take it in to a shop. They did a few tests and told me it has 2 problems. The Intake pressure is leaking and it has a blown head gasket. Has anyone had any experiance with steel seal (http://www.steelseal.com/eng/video.html) I am in the army and am POOR. Need a fix that will work so I can sell it. Thanks for any input

one thing...your in the military....of course you dont get paid that much....but seriously its not that damn bad..you just need to manage your money

deadhorsey
09-10-2005, 12:50 PM
Hey, if we all get together, and donate 5 dollars to him every time he blows away a terrorist... He'll be rich quick!

02andahalfgt
09-10-2005, 01:58 PM
Wow offering cash to solve car problems. That could change a lot around here. lol

timmat1
09-10-2005, 08:11 PM
yea... the military isn't that bad... but when you have debt and a wife that isn't working... the money doesn't come in that quick. Thanks for you support cept for grahm... I understand a lot of you younger folks aren't used to having money. I was a design engineer and a financial advisor before the military... and I'm just not used to this income yet. Sorry for the rant...

THANKS EVERYONE

deadhorsey
09-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Rant all you want tim, I respect anyone in the millitary. You take a risk that 99% of people arent willing to take.

But anyway I don't wanna get off subject... Use that gimmick ****, what have you got to lose?

tony t
04-19-2013, 04:33 PM
that stuff they sell to fix a leaking head gasket did work for me,it stoped the colant to be mixed with the oil in the iol pan ,but,as i got me a job i had the LIM repaired for 500 bucks bar leaks does work i can testify on it

kzulfic
04-19-2013, 04:36 PM
Don't think he needs help anymore, considering this was posted in '05.

Hanauer51
04-19-2013, 05:18 PM
Don't think he needs help anymore, considering this was posted in '05.

lol

sleepyalero
04-19-2013, 07:29 PM
:applause: