Ran my Battery too low [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Ran my Battery too low

traingeek087
07-12-2005, 04:15 PM
I was listening to my music when my car was off and i ran the battery too low. I drove it around for a half and hour and it didn't seem to work. There is a light on my Alpine faceplace that turned red, i think that's telling it's low, and my 2 15" neons don't even turn on. What should I do? Keep driving around?

Matt95GT
07-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Battery charger.

Most batteries (Optima is the exception) do not like to be deep cycled and will not ever hold a good charge again. If you still have problems after charging it, you'll need to replace the battery.

traingeek087
07-12-2005, 05:09 PM
so if i did buy a new battery do you recommend any certain type?

BadGT471
07-12-2005, 07:35 PM
Optima red top, badazz battery.. I've had one for 3 years now, and never had a problem and I have a ton of aftermarket stuff - system, neons, HID's, awesome awesome battery

stangdude
07-12-2005, 07:39 PM
i concur on the red top, badass and damn near indestructable battery

traingeek087
07-12-2005, 11:08 PM
hey where do i buy one of these and how much?

Mike Jung
07-13-2005, 04:48 AM
so if i did buy a new battery do you recommend any certain type?
Optima Group D75/25 YellowTop deep-cycle battery (http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/product_info/automotive/deep_cycle/spec_sheets.RowPar.0001.ContentPar.0001.ColumnPar. 0010.File.tmp/D75_25_082104.pdf)

http://www.optimabatteries.com

ZedR2
07-13-2005, 06:51 AM
I have a Optima red top in every vehicle I own except my G/A G/T because I just bought it last week but it will get one soon ..

To tell you how good they are , in my 1985 show truck I put one in there in 1991 and have killed it around 10 times by doing stupid things like leaving the door open and the lights on at car shows , anyways a 5 minute charge and it's back up to 12.5 volts again ...

These things just won't die ..

You can get them at Wal-Mart , get the 800 cold cranking amps ( the bigger one )

You can see it in my 85 S10 4x4 on the left , back then they came with this real cool top that made a good tool tray , not any more , people try and steal mine at car shows :p

Paul

http://img17.echo.cx/img17/7739/6carshow1cr.jpg

Matt95GT
07-13-2005, 07:12 AM
If you're going to deep cycle (play system w/ car not running) the battery frequently, then get the Yellowtop. If not, I'll recommend the redtop.

action
07-13-2005, 08:27 AM
If your battery is stock, then its definantly time to replace it. As a battery gets older, its tolerance for comming back to life after being drained is next to zilch. Plus now you run the risk of ruining your altenator trying to charge the battery plus run the car, heat kills them and running almost constantly to keep up with the demand placed by the dead battery will damage it if left alone.

freakydeaky
07-13-2005, 08:37 AM
Optima red top, badazz battery.. I've had one for 3 years now, and never had a problem and I have a ton of aftermarket stuff - system, neons, HID's, awesome awesome battery

i also have this battery..... highly, highly recommend

traingeek087
07-13-2005, 10:54 AM
ok so i probably will run it down once in a while because i love to park and run the system. But i'm still not sure what one to buy, red or yellow. They both look very good, but reading on the site it appears that the red is for more off road.

Just to give a follow up of what i will be running in my GA, I will have underglow neons, neons in the front air dam, 4 trunk neons, 5 interior neons, and my 1000 watt amp w/ two subs.

And i didn't see any price quotes on that site, how much do they cost and is there a warranty or some kind of back up incase of it not working properly? Thanks to all who helped me out on this one.

action
07-13-2005, 11:31 AM
If your running all that gear for more than on hour or 2 pretty often, go with the yellow top, they're designed to be run low and recharged. Then again the RED top is still better for this than the stock battery ever was, so buy what you can get a decent deal on.

Matt95GT
07-13-2005, 11:41 AM
Red is a "starting" battery. Off-road? lol Um, no
Yellow is the same plus some deep cycle ability.

You'll need the yellow.

traingeek087
07-13-2005, 12:21 PM
i've heard about 50/50 between red and yellow, and this thing isn't cheap for making $6 an hour. I guess I'll just look for the better deal. I don't have all my crap on when the cars parked, only my trunk neons and my system. but as i said i will park it for 1-2 hours.

BadGT471
07-13-2005, 12:25 PM
Hey bro, I think the red tops go for $119? I could be wrong, but I believe that is it. Anyway's, you have to do what you feel is right. I'm a firm believer in that you get what you pay for. It's an investment, but at least if you deep cycle your battery, it will still perform like new. It's all up to you and what you want to do. I'd shop around on the net, you might be able to find a deal on one somewhere. They're badass batteries, and I would totally recommend one!

Jeff

Matt95GT
07-13-2005, 12:28 PM
i've heard about 50/50 between red and yellow, and this thing isn't cheap for making $6 an hour. I guess I'll just look for the better deal. I don't have all my crap on when the cars parked, only my trunk neons and my system. but as i said i will park it for 1-2 hours.

Then get a traditional battery, the system will need to remain off while the car is parked. Pay to play. 1-2 hours is deep cycle... again, you'll need the yellow.

traingeek087
07-13-2005, 01:23 PM
ok i went down and priced them and here's what i came up with

red = 120
yellow = 160

they both have a 3 year warranty on them

i could buy red if i didn't run my system when my car is off right, because i'll only use it when my car is running if it's going to save me 40 bucks.

brim
07-13-2005, 08:54 PM
other option, get a battery with a warranty from autozone, duralasts are in the 50-65 range with 2 year free swap replacement, duralast gold are higher cranking amps with 3 year free replacement and go up to $80 or so

action
07-14-2005, 07:31 AM
If you havent got the $$$ just go get a stock replacement battery like brim said. Optima batteris are great, but if you havent got the $$$ a standard battery will be much better than what you have now. Keep the car running if you have your gear on , they dont burn much gas idling anyway.