2000 Grand AM SE 2.4L replacement tips needed [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Grand AM SE 2.4L replacement tips needed

D0M1N8R
07-12-2005, 05:58 PM
For those of you who dont know I had work done at PepBoys who totally wrecked my engine but are denying the claim and I'm not having to much luck getting a lawyer to go after them. So I guess I'm eating the cost now.

I bought up on a 2.4L from a junk yard with good warranty and 10K miles on it to replace my old one. Getting really close to starting this project and really would love to get any tips I could of things to maybe look out for or to do while the motors out. Expecially tips that will lead to better gas milage which I never was happy with. Them 2.4's eat more gas then the factory V6's. Had I known that before I bought it I would have kept shopping around for a GT. =,(

Anything to make this a more worth while, supriseless, and painless engine swap would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

action
07-13-2005, 08:17 AM
Its pretty simple, if your unsure of what your doing, take lots of digital pictures for reference when your reassembling, buy a repair manual, they are full of tips and check lists to go over, and keep bolts in ziplock bags labled with a permanent marker (eg. all altenator bolts in 1 bag) makes it much easier to figure out later.

The rest is common sense, start taking stuff off from the top down, taking pictures as you go, if not you;ll forget where wires plug in, and where engine grounds go later.

To get the engine out fairly easilly, take off the harmonic balencer (the crank pully actually). This extra inch will be needed if you want to take the engine out from the top without dropping the tranny and the subframe. This saves alot of time over what the book says. Dont forget one of the last steps to getting the engine out is to unbolt it from the tranny and unbolt it from the torque converter. I think there's 3 converter bolts, you can access them from the starter hole one at a time, spinning the engine over with a socket and breaker bar on the crank pully bolt. At this stage you should have the engine suported by your lifting device.

Thats all I can think of for now, I'll be joining in your pain in a couple weeks when we swap motors (2.4l) in my budies 97 GA (blew connecting rod through the block).

D0M1N8R
08-30-2005, 06:30 PM
Well things didnt go so well. The tranny and engine had to come out together since I didnt have enough space under the hood to seperate them. Got that all done and other motor in. took 3 days but its done.
The replacement motor though has a knock in it. Plenty of oil in it and no oil light. This motor was suppose to have 10,000 miles on it according to the junkyard that sold it to me. Anyway Im about ready to pull out the credit card and get a rebuilt motor put in from the GM dealer just so I dont have to deal with this stuff any more. I was quoted in for about $2,500 at one dealer. Is that a good price?
Im gonna need a lot of over time to get this paid off too. =,(

action
09-02-2005, 07:57 AM
Most wrecking yards aound here have a good warranty that not only covers the cost to replace their bad engine but also the cost to have it installed. They pay the labour to replace their POS!!! Check it out.

BTW: did you remove teh crank pulley and all of the engine mount from the engine before trying to seperate the engine and tranny??? If you didnt, they will not come apart.

D0M1N8R
09-02-2005, 08:03 AM
Well I called around for pricing and rebuilt motors everywhere cost $4000 up installed. So I called back the one I got that price from and asked again and I must have not understood them because thats the price for them to install a junkyard motor. I also checked with the junkyard since the motor did have a 2 year warranty installed by any garage or 6 month warranty if not and they can do trade or money back but wont be covering labor. I will be towing the car there later on today and letting them install another motor. gonna cost me almost $1000 just for labor. Thats pretty much the price every garage and dealer has been giving me. Oh well out comes the card to soak up the cost.

action
09-02-2005, 08:12 AM
Well you escaped the Labour the 1st time, so youre still only paying 1 labor charge so its not all bad!!! Too bad it never worked out fo you.

D0M1N8R
09-02-2005, 12:45 PM
True.. Just asked my friend who helped me work on it. He actually pulled the motor/tranny out cuz I had to go to work. He said he didnt pull that pulley off but he actually wanted it all to come out together so he could just get it all together out of the hood. Personally I think I would have done it the other way around but guess it all comes down to personal preference. =\