Tranny problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Tranny problems

stanjk3
07-12-2005, 07:02 PM
Hit 75K miles on Sunday, end of extended warranty, and so what happens?? Tranny starts shifting wierd, sometimes it bucks, other times it wil shift a few times in a couple times. Does it less often if I drive in 3. Only seems to occur ~40-60mph.

SES light came on Monday, codes are:
P0741 not sure what it means, I'm guessing it's a stuck or dead solenoid
P1860 TC stuck

Anybody know any good tranny repair shops near West Chester (PA)??? I'm assuming a dealer would say "oh well" and not fix it under warranty. I'm ~30 miles over, but 5 yrs will be on 7/27.

GrahamKracka
07-12-2005, 07:25 PM
i think these cars are designed to die when the warranty goes.......

and it depends on your dealer...but yea...most likely theyll try to **** you in the ass

stanjk3
07-14-2005, 07:09 PM
Looks like there's a Cottman and an Aamco within ~20 minutes of my house.
Anyone have good or bad experiences with either?? Right now I'd go with Cottman, as they do a free check.

action
07-15-2005, 07:26 AM
Free quotes are always good, a transmission service may help you out, but see what they recomend.

The JoKeR
07-15-2005, 07:30 AM
Looks like there's a Cottman and an Aamco within ~20 minutes of my house.
Anyone have good or bad experiences with either?? Right now I'd go with Cottman, as they do a free check.

Stay the F*** away from AAMCO. I had a tranny rebuilt there....600 miles later, got the same problem. I got it fixed under warranty and it lasted about 3 months. Took it back again under warranty ... same problem. Only reason I kept going back was because of the warranty. Probably had another problem but I got rid of the car as soon as I got the tranny rebuilt the last time. Be careful with the "free quote". If they have to take anything off the car to inspect the tranny, you're paying for it. What is going to happen is they'll pull your tranny, check it out...if it's bad and you have them fix it, they'll waive the labor and all that for pulling it. If you decide to go elsewhere, they're going to charge you for it.

GrandAmGT1996
07-16-2005, 09:47 AM
I had my tranny fixed at cottman, they fixed the code P1870. Havnt' had any problems since, and I didn't have any problems with service.

robc7gt
07-18-2005, 09:52 PM
stay away from ammco

stanjk3
07-19-2005, 07:34 PM
Took it to Cottman, should be done on Thursday.
Guy said the problem was it shifts into 3rd and 4th, but it doesn't stay in gear.

Graxall
07-19-2005, 07:56 PM
Free quotes are always good, a transmission service may help you out, but see what they recomend.
Yea ide go with a actually transmission mechanic shop.

stanjk3
07-20-2005, 05:34 PM
Got a call back today, and basically I needed the whole tranny rebuilt. Will be $2400 :rage:
Clutches were worn, and whatever failed that caused the loss of pressure, contaminated the tranny fluid which would further screw up everything if I didn't have it all rebuilt.

Jason E
07-21-2005, 08:00 PM
GM transmissions seem to be pretty damn bulletproof, especially compared to Chrysler's and imports like Mazda and Nissan. Surprised to see yours go...did you drive it hard?

I've worked at a dealer for 5 years now, and I've only seen one GP and one GA come in with blown trannys...and those were both beat rental cars!

Malaclypse
07-21-2005, 10:37 PM
[QUOTE=Jason EI've worked at a dealer for 5 years now, and I've only seen one GP and one GA come in with blown trannys...and those were both beat rental cars![/QUOTE]

This might be something regional.. but I've been working at a GM dealer for 3 years and I see all sorts of FWD transmission implosions. T45s are really bad about it.

Chemboy
07-22-2005, 05:14 AM
I had a 97 Grand Am and the week after I made the last payment the tranny went. They told me around $2000 to fix it. I just traded it in but I was not happy about it.

stanjk3
07-22-2005, 07:53 PM
IMO the problem is GM cutting corners and using the 4T45E, which is barely strong enough to handle our engine, instead of designing the car to be able to easily fit the 4T65E.

Thing is when I drive semi-aggressively/floor it, it's in the lower end, then I let up when I'm up to speed. So I would have expected 1st and 2nd to go, not 3rd and 4th.