Fuel pump replaced=guzzling gas?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump replaced=guzzling gas??

SilverEcstasy
07-15-2005, 07:55 AM
I had my car at the dealership yesturday for a simple oil change. Then as I started to think about it, I realized I should ask if they would install a new fuel filter while they were at it. So the guy (whom I always deal with, great guy to work with) runs back there and tells em to throw a new one in. Granted, they have told me you have to change it every 30k miles, and I have 48k on my car on the original fuel filter. So I pay for everything and go to leave on my 15 minute ride home, and my car is just guzzling gas. I seriously think it went down like an 1/8th of a tank in a matter of a couple miles.

The one thing I do remember my rep saying was, if I don't replace the fuel filter, it could burn up the fuel pump trying to get gas to the engine through a gunked up filter. So is that maybe why? My fuel pump is running super hard but it doesn't need to now because its got a new filter? I dunno, what do you guys think?

action
07-15-2005, 08:12 AM
Fill the car up and drive it for a couple days to really see if there's a difference in mileage. If anything it should be better. Check for leaks from the filter area (basically smack between the 2 rear tires ), if theres a leak that would explain your problem, but youd be getting a very strong gas odour every time you park.

Malaclypse
07-16-2005, 12:13 AM
See what your actual mileage does as GM fuel level sensors aren't the most accurate things n the world.

SilverEcstasy
07-16-2005, 07:44 AM
Well i'm waiting to get rid of this tank of gas first then i'm going to try. Normally in the past with the old filter, i'd get 250-260 miles to the tank. Back in the day prior to the 30k mark, i'd get 300 miles to the tank, easy. So we'll see what I can get this time?