Water Temperature? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Water Temperature?

SilverEcstasy
07-18-2005, 08:49 AM
Back when I first got my car, my engine always ran at exactly 200 (I think thats what the temp is, with the needle straight in the middle), and when I got my exhaust and CAI it would always run a few degrees below 200. Now, winter or summer, this thing runs above 200 for some reason! Anyone have any ideas what might be the issue? I thought it was the filter, so I changed the cai filter but it still gets up to normal operating temperature above 200! Its not much, but its enough to make me wonder.

(trying out the new smiley)
:gablackbu

boost21
07-18-2005, 08:52 AM
mine is the same way...i do get uneasy but im getting to feel that it is normal with this hot arse weather

DevilSlayer
07-18-2005, 09:09 AM
It happens to me in the friggin' winter. Mine also used to run at 200 on the nose, but not its 205 all the time, cold or hot weather.

action
07-18-2005, 11:18 AM
Not unusual for the temperature to run the width of the needle above or below normal.

dna_dan
11-03-2005, 10:57 AM
I just changed my water pump at 103K miles and noticed this. I also changed the thermostat and flushed the radiator.

The funny thing is, the temp NEVER used to fluctuate at all before. Now when I sit in traffic, the car gets hotter and I can see the temp go up. Nothing major, only to like 210-215. But then it will drop when I start moving at freeway speed again. The car never did this prior to me changing the water pump and thermostat. So I figure a few things are going on here:

1) The reservoir cap is broken or not working properly, (I had to install and remove it a lot when I flushed it. )

2) There is still an air pocket somewhere in the system. I bled the system through bleed valve but no air came out.

3) The temp sensor was not working properly before, but now is. Perhaps it wasn't connected all the way to begin with.

The damn gauge never used to move AT ALL before. It was always 200 rock solid irregardless of weather or driving situation. This is sooo strange. I gotta throw in the freak alert for this one: :jackson

I am a little concerned about this because of the age of the car. It's a 2000 with 100K+ miles on it. I am hoping to god it isn't the dreaded LIM gasket leaking. I am watching fluids very carefully.

atc3434
11-03-2005, 11:03 AM
Mine always fluctuates... runs 190-195 on the highway, it'll heat up some in traffic. I monitor with the scan gauge too, and the stock temp gauge isn't 100% accurate, and it moves pretty slow.

Slim
11-03-2005, 11:04 AM
A few things could cause that.

1. Coolant getting older.
2. Thermostat.
3. Reduced flow through the rad (gummed up).
4. etc.... You get the idea.

coupe
11-03-2005, 11:20 AM
All GA's have heat issues, comes with the car. All i gotta say is "caspers fan switch".

dna_dan
11-03-2005, 02:44 PM
Yeah I think you are right coupe. It's better just to keep the engine cooler overall.

Do you run the fan all the time the car is running? Is there a detriment to doing so? Certainly any heat is bad for all engines.

nascarnate326
11-03-2005, 03:20 PM
I am a little concerned about this because of the age of the car. It's a 2000 with 100K+ miles on it. I am hoping to god it isn't the dreaded LIM gasket leaking. I am watching fluids very carefully.

I didnt hope enough, and had to have $800 dollars of work done to my '99.
Although now it runs at 200 or a tick over consistantly .

Heating issues are just like the stearing wheel, comes with the car. Well Usually.

Panacea
11-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Mine stays a smidgion the the left of the 200 degree mark. During summer time/idle it is a smidgion to the right of 200 or one tick over. It's normal.

stanjk3
11-03-2005, 10:01 PM
Mine was running 2-3 marks below 200 even in warm weather, rarely saw 200. Had the thermostat replaced and that fixed it. Had the opposite problem in my last car, '88 Bonneville. Temp went 3/4 of the way up before the cooling kicked in.

coupe
11-04-2005, 05:58 AM
If i let it idle it will get WAY over 200, like scary over. I think the headers dont help. When it gets to 200 i flip the switch, it keeps it just under 200 when its on.

Panacea
11-04-2005, 06:25 AM
I think the fan is suppose to kick in around 230-235 degrees, but I'm not positive.

coupe
11-04-2005, 06:48 AM
Mine dosent seem to, DHP dont even help. Caspers turns the fan on at full blast.

Pontiac Ninja
11-04-2005, 10:13 AM
Mine stays a smidgion the the left of the 200 degree mark. During summer time/idle it is a smidgion to the right of 200 or one tick over. It's normal.

That's exactly what mine does.

2002AmSE
11-07-2005, 01:24 PM
Mine runs 200 degrees for the first 10 mins or so of driving and if I'm not going over 40 or have the heat on it creeps up two or three notches. With extended idling it goes up even more. The A/C trick won't work anymore because of an issue where the high pressure side cap caused the rubber valve inside the port to start leaking... I have flushed it until it was clear and mixed it 50/50 and I still have the same amount of heat. I figure that it can't be the thermostat because it will cool to the right temperature when driving at speed so I'm pretty sure it's working just fine.

My thoughts are:
...Engine is running hotter than it used to...
...The impellers on the water pump are wearing out...
...The cooling passages are becoming blocked... (although I used a flushing agent the first time I flused and that hadn't changed anything.)

Panacea
11-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Also, if your coolant resevoir cap isn't tightened all the way (or damaged) it will cause a pressure leak and your temp will raise significantly (I know, this happened to me once).

00blackGT
11-10-2005, 09:59 AM
Mine dosent seem to, DHP dont even help. Caspers turns the fan on at full blast.

Hey, about how hard is it to install them? I think i am going to get one for my GA...Thanks!

coupe
11-10-2005, 10:51 AM
EASY. It comes with detailed instructions and there is no cutting at all. It took me 30 minutes to install. One of my favorite mods i have, not to mention the cheapest mod i have.

DevilSlayer
11-10-2005, 11:06 AM
Might also want to check your LIM. I just found out recently that mine was leaking and it seems to have been leaking for some time. Luckily it is leaking coolant outside the engine and isn't mixing with the oil. The coolant leaking in this fashion could cause some pressure loss and may explain the slightly higher temps.

dna_dan
11-11-2005, 02:47 PM
Replaced the coolant reservoir cap today and it made a slight difference in how hot my car gets. Must have been leaking = lower coolant pressure as someone here mentioned. The damn cap is $13 USD, but I suppose that is a deal compared to the $33 USD charged for the brake reservoir cap! Yes that cap costs $33. BASTARDS!

Anyway, I am going to change my thermostat again with the one from PFYC. Do you guys usually change the intake gasket when doing this? The first time around I didn't because I didn't have one, but now that I am taking it apart again, I am thinking about doing it because the gasket has impressions on it.

Pontiac Ninja
11-11-2005, 04:36 PM
not to mention the cheapest mod i have.

lol There is a true enthsuiest right there! $315 (if you keep your core and it is brand new) as the cheapest mod a person has! I like it!:irate: