Fuel gage wrong indication [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fuel gage wrong indication

Alfonso
07-18-2005, 01:01 PM
Hello, I have a problem with my GAGT 2000 fuel gage. It has a wrong indication of the fuel qty. sometimes its marking 1/4 and then moves to 1/2, it has a lot of oscillation. I take my car to the mechanic and he pull out the fuel pump and clean booth resistors (fuel gage and low fuel light), and he check the conections. But the problem still.
Somebody had a problem like this?
Thank you very much.

KPimm
07-18-2005, 03:03 PM
I just had the fuel level sensor replaced at 58k miles. I'll try to find the paperwork when I get home to see exactly what was replaced. My guage wasn't oscillating much, but it was sticking at like 3/4 and 1/2 full.

atc3434
07-18-2005, 03:20 PM
My gauge also exhibits generally pyschotic behavior. When I fill up, it goes from full to empty over and over. Then it'll stay at full till about 140mile, then starts the dive to E from there. I just go by my mileage, I don't trust it.

GrahamKracka
07-18-2005, 03:37 PM
I got the whole damn thing replaced after bitching and whining to the dealer (warranty)

Mike Jung
07-18-2005, 04:19 PM
Fuel Level Sensor (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14550)

Try running a total fuel system cleaner/treatment through the gas tank.

Alfonso
07-18-2005, 06:27 PM
Ok, must be the fuel sensor. Where is located? Is the thing like resistor in the fuel pump?, it sold separately of fuel pump?, because the complete fuel pump must be very expensive.
Thank you guys.

DevilSlayer
07-18-2005, 07:26 PM
My gauge also exhibits generally pyschotic behavior. When I fill up, it goes from full to empty over and over. Then it'll stay at full till about 140mile, then starts the dive to E from there. I just go by my mileage, I don't trust it.

Ditto. I just count miles, reset after each fill up. If you do a lot of city driving, then refill at about 200-225 miles to be safe. I ran out of gas at 275 miles what I did a lot of city. If you do a lot of highway driving, then refill at about 230-250 to be safe. I ran out at about 330 when I did a lot of highway. All of this was before I discovered that my gauge was no longer reliable. I've run out of gas 2 times (since my fuel gauge became fuked up) to figure out those numbers. Luckily I was close to a gas station, ran out right in front of one the first time ^_^

KPimm
07-18-2005, 08:39 PM
Well, mine was fixed under extended warrenty, so I don't have a price. It's a sensor kit P/N 88966972.
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com
Enter the P/N and it comes right up for like $63.