slp w/out cai [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : slp w/out cai

whaleman10
07-21-2005, 11:59 PM
hey im getting slp but i cant get the cai b/c i heard it voids my engine warrenty. so my question is will the slp still sound great. and i saw in motor trend these things are they good.

http://www.turbonator.com/index.html?id=adWordsTurbonatorTO
http://www.tornadoair.com/

thnx again :irate:

sluggerx5
07-22-2005, 05:58 AM
i cant get the cai b/c i heard it voids my engine warrenty.

http://www.turbonator.com/index.html?id=adWordsTurbonatorTO
http://www.tornadoair.com/

1. No it wont void any warrenty. There is some act saying that installing aftermarket parts does not void your warrenty unless it is proved that the problem with your car was caused by that part and ect.

2. Please dont get that gimmic

Ant
07-22-2005, 08:33 AM
1. No it wont void any warrenty. There is some act saying that installing aftermarket parts does not void your warrenty unless it is proved that the problem with your car was caused by that part and ect.

Magnuson-Moss

sluggerx5
07-22-2005, 09:18 AM
^ yeah what he said lol

boost21
07-22-2005, 11:54 AM
the turbonator goes woooo woooooooooo! lol

AMRAAM4
07-22-2005, 12:24 PM
SLP isn't going to do anything either but change your exhaust sound. It might shave .2 seconds off a 1/4 mile which equates to nothing on daily driving because you are not racing from a dead stop to a 1/4 mile all the time.

Add the CAI to it and watch your torque levels go to crap as well.

I'll await the naysayers here now who always argue my response of this. But here is a list of "power" I have noticed through MY OWN EXPERIENCE with all the above. List gets "slower" as you go down it:

-Stock 3400 + Borla + CAI + Supercharger
-Stock 3400 + Borla + Supercharger
-Stock 3400 + Borla + CAI
-Stock 3400 + Borla
-Stock 3400
-Stock 3400 + SLP
-Stock 3400 + SLP + CAI

sluggerx5
07-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Good ole bob makes me wanna spend the extra money for the borla

AznGA
07-22-2005, 06:36 PM
From MY OWN EXPERIENCE, my 3400 with SLP and CAI is definitely faster than stock.

sluggerx5
07-22-2005, 06:40 PM
^ lol one would think so but what the hell do i know

AMRAAM4
07-23-2005, 10:19 AM
From MY OWN EXPERIENCE, my 3400 with SLP and CAI is definitely faster than stock.
And seeing that you are going to Iowa State for engineering I would think that you would realize that scientifically, you dont' have much validity since you haven't had all the combinations I have had, and can't compare all without confounds.

Thank you...good day.

AznGA
07-23-2005, 10:48 AM
And seeing that you are going to Iowa State for engineering I would think that you would realize that scientifically, you dont' have much validity since you haven't had all the combinations I have had, and can't compare all without confounds.

Thank you...good day.
Then explain to me how SLP and CAI makes the car slower than stock? Thanks. I am having a good day already.

puller
07-23-2005, 11:28 AM
AMRAAM4.

Here is a dyno chart of a 3100 SFI Beretta. Which was also offered in grand ams, among other vehicles, and near identical to the 3400 SFI engine. http://www.berettaspeed.com/canada/StockvsKNvsRSM.jpg

The first run was with the stock air box and filter, 134.03hp 153.48tq.
Second run with the stock airbox and a K&N drop in filter, 135.26hp, 154.29tq.
Third run was with RSM racing's intake, 138.75hp, 157.15tq.

Numbers don't lie.

I would like to see your "proof" of a cai, slp exhaust, ect. causing a loss in power. Some actual dynochart numbers perhaps? Since you don't have any, I think everyone will agree with me... you are an idiot.

AMRAAM4
07-23-2005, 11:51 AM
AMRAAM4.

Here is a dyno chart of a 3100 SFI Beretta. Which was also offered in grand ams, among other vehicles, and near identical to the 3400 SFI engine. http://www.berettaspeed.com/canada/StockvsKNvsRSM.jpg

The first run was with the stock air box and filter, 134.03hp 153.48tq.
Second run with the stock airbox and a K&N drop in filter, 135.26hp, 154.29tq.
Third run was with RSM racing's intake, 138.75hp, 157.15tq.

Numbers don't lie.

I would like to see your "proof" of a cai, slp exhaust, ect. causing a loss in power. Some actual dynochart numbers perhaps? Since you don't have any, I think everyone will agree with me... you are an idiot.
For Chrissakes, do you really think you are going to feel 4.7HP to the wheels and 2.7 ft/lb of torque :rolleyes: You guys must have a really sensitive ass. And those numbers, or even slightly more would probably match exactly what I said above...aout .2 seconds off your 1/4.

I'll agree someone may be an idiot if they think paying all that for an intake/UIM/exhaust/etc is worth the small differences you're gaining to THE WHEELS on a 3100/3400. You don't need a dyno chart to understand that, that's something some people are born with, it's called common sense.

Common sense don't lie.

Don't let me get in the way of people spending $5-600 for an exhaust and intake to make those massive gains to the wheel though. Start doing forced induction and internal work, and then it is a logical modification.

lironet
07-23-2005, 11:53 AM
AMRAAM4.
Numbers don't lie.

He is stating his opinion and you are stating yours. Adding the "you are an idiot" comment only adds fuel to the fire and is uncalled for. I am tired of threads being deleted or closed because members like you resort to all sorts of childish bull$hit.

AMRAAM4
07-23-2005, 11:57 AM
He is stating his opinion and you are stating yours. Adding the "you are an idiot" comment only adds fuel to the fire and is uncalled for. I am tired of threads being deleted or closed because members like you resort to all sorts of childish bull$hit.
he and Yun have car knowledge out the ying yang (as with many younger folks here). They have a lot of experience around ACTUAL cars and built them or helped build them. They have spoken to many different tuners in their lives so far. We should feel honored to have so many folks around that don't have to grab dyno sheets and stories off the internet to prove their point. It's good they have so much personal experience.

..might as well lock this thread

Sprucegagt
07-23-2005, 08:50 PM
SLP isn't going to do anything either but change your exhaust sound. It might shave .2 seconds off a 1/4 mile which equates to nothing on daily driving because you are not racing from a dead stop to a 1/4 mile all the time.

Add the CAI to it and watch your torque levels go to crap as well.

I'll await the naysayers here now who always argue my response of this. But here is a list of "power" I have noticed through MY OWN EXPERIENCE with all the above. List gets "slower" as you go down it:

-Stock 3400 + Borla + CAI + Supercharger
-Stock 3400 + Borla + Supercharger
-Stock 3400 + Borla + CAI
-Stock 3400 + Borla
-Stock 3400
-Stock 3400 + SLP
-Stock 3400 + SLP + CAI

Bob, care to enlight people here on why the Borla is so much better than SLP? I mean your vast amount of experience on the subject must be able to provide some valid and intangible facts. I mean it's not like you would be biased?
:hijacked:

iceman1793
07-23-2005, 09:18 PM
I had the Borla Cat-back with a stage three CAI. I switched to the Dr. Speed Cold Air Box and it made a difference. I re-gained the low end. All I need is the SD hood and I think this will make the right combo.

02andahalfgt
07-23-2005, 10:10 PM
I think everyone will agree with me... you are an idiot.

Actually no, no one is going to agree with you. Bob is a long time member here with a ton of knowledge.

jscarano13
07-23-2005, 10:35 PM
Actually no, no one is going to agree with you. Bob is a long time member here with a ton of knowledge.
*iagree*

AMRAAM4
07-23-2005, 11:00 PM
Bob, care to enlight people here on why the Borla is so much better than SLP? I mean your vast amount of experience on the subject must be able to provide some valid and intangible facts. I mean it's not like you would be biased?
:hijacked:
build quality, piping diameter, muffler design.

whaleman10
07-23-2005, 11:07 PM
i didnt expect you peoples to fight over the question that i thought would be easy to answere.. lol w/e *banana*

Sprucegagt
07-23-2005, 11:21 PM
build quality, piping diameter, muffler design.

Piping may keep torque up but hurt HP. Car has plenty of torque on the low end as is. So losing a little is no big deal.

Muffler design and build quality are arbitrary. My SLP has been on the car for over 3 years and 80,000 miles. There is nothing wrong with it. No rust, only road grime. Muffler metal is so hard that I could not drill a drain hole in it. This may be the only problem with the SLP muffler. I believe it is the reason why it changes sound sometimes. Muffler starts to fill with water from condensation. A drain hole could fix this.

AMRAAM4
07-23-2005, 11:29 PM
Piping may keep torque up but hurt HP. Car has plenty of torque on the low end as is. So losing a little is no big deal.

Muffler design and build quality are arbitrary. My SLP has been on the car for over 3 years and 80,000 miles. There is nothing wrong with it. No rust, only road grime. Muffler metal is so hard that I could not drill a drain hole in it. This may be the only problem with the SLP muffler. I believe it is the reason why it changes sound sometimes. Muffler starts to fill with water from condensation. A drain hole could fix this.
So that's why you switched from Borla to SLP?

Sprucegagt
07-23-2005, 11:57 PM
Cute but no.

gagt13
07-24-2005, 12:21 AM
id have 2 agree w/ bob.... i have the cai and the slp exhaust, there was deff a power/torque loss after gettin them, i also got the DHP which imo brought it bak to almost slightly better than stock, so pretty much for the $900 i spent , alls i got is a diff sound, imo a waste of money

Sprucegagt
07-24-2005, 01:42 AM
id have 2 agree w/ bob.... i have the cai and the slp exhaust, there was deff a power/torque loss after gettin them, i also got the DHP which imo brought it bak to almost slightly better than stock, so pretty much for the $900 i spent , alls i got is a diff sound, imo a waste of money

I'm sure 1/4 times tell a different story. Butt dyno is worthless.

AMRAAM4
07-24-2005, 09:42 AM
I'm sure 1/4 times tell a different story. Butt dyno is worthless.
So is arguing for SLP when you haven't owned Borla.

Anyone want to pay me for Ball Room Dancing Lessons?? Hell, I don't know any steps, but I have slow danced a few times in my life and have seen the dancing on TV.

Sprucegagt
07-24-2005, 02:30 PM
So is arguing for SLP when you haven't owned Borla.

Anyone want to pay me for Ball Room Dancing Lessons?? Hell, I don't know any steps, but I have slow danced a few times in my life and have seen the dancing on TV.

My point is none of this really matters. There are 78889823423 SLP vs. Borla threads that prove this. So why stir more sh!t?

AMRAAM4
07-24-2005, 04:25 PM
My point is none of this really matters. There are 78889823423 SLP vs. Borla threads that prove this. So why stir more sh!t?
yeah, it's always me :rolleyes: nevermind the people like you and a few others here who are always following me around and being very coy at being an instigator.

I'm going to say this once.................................I'm tired of it, so cut the crap. Dont' like my posts or don't like my info, don't read ANY of them.

Sprucegagt
07-24-2005, 04:41 PM
yeah, it's always me :rolleyes: nevermind the people like you and a few others here who are always following me around and being very coy at being an instigator.

I'm going to say this once.................................I'm tired of it, so cut the crap. Dont' like my posts or don't like my info, don't read ANY of them.

Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black. If anybody else posts like you did it would be deleted or the thread locked. If you didn't want a response you wouldn't of posted. Sounds to me like you can't take responses that are contrary to your own.

Either way for your sake I'll end this.

jazzman
07-24-2005, 10:03 PM
you don't have to be a jackass, bob is not the one starting all of this... He stated and OPINION and you and a few others have felt the need to nit pick at what bob has first hand experience with....

i'm sorry but arguing on the internet is so stupid and I'm sorry that bob has to always get dragged into it. Bob is full of info if you just shut your mouth, or stop typing and listen/read what he writes!

pyro
07-24-2005, 10:09 PM
:swordfigh :whogives: :horse:

Sprucegagt
07-24-2005, 10:20 PM
you don't have to be a jackass, bob is not the one starting all of this... He stated and OPINION and you and a few others have felt the need to nit pick at what bob has first hand experience with....

i'm sorry but arguing on the internet is so stupid and I'm sorry that bob has to always get dragged into it. Bob is full of info if you just shut your mouth, or stop typing and listen/read what he writes!

He stated his opinion and I replied with mine. It's called debating. Quit sucking on Bob's nut sack. He can take care of himself.

Pontiac Ninja
07-24-2005, 10:47 PM
hey what about this thread from january of 2004........http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27985&highlight=Hpp+dyno...Hpp got about a 23hp gain. I deleted the dyno I posted in that thread awhile back to free up some space for some other pics I posted. But it can't be that much worse guys, 23hp is pretty good, and it was from an SLP EXHAUST and CAI!!! :)