cai water problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : cai water problems

customcarsff
07-24-2005, 10:18 AM
how can i prevent water getting in my intake?

UNCTYPE-S
07-24-2005, 10:21 AM
dont go 70-mph WOT through flooded streets or lakes.

Mike Jung
07-24-2005, 10:25 AM
Add a K&N PreCharger wrap (http://www.knfilters.com/wraps.htm)
&
AEM Cold Air Intake Bypass Value (http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product?storeId=10201&Pr=p_Product.CATENTRY_ID%3A2005551&TID=8014524&productId=2005551&catalogId=10101&langId=-1)

Take the CAI off in the winter time, also helps.

AleroME
07-24-2005, 10:46 AM
make it a WAI (warm air intake) by relocating the filter in the engine bay.

pyro
07-24-2005, 12:09 PM
make it a WAI (warm air intake) by relocating the filter in the engine bay.
kinda defeats the purpose

AleroME
07-24-2005, 12:21 PM
kinda defeats the purpose

Better than getting water slashed on by in the fenderwell area. Its not really noticable .. WAI vs CAI.. like 1-2 hp loss. What CAI only give maybe 4hp max. Not a big deal. Better yet.. put your stock air back, you'll notice your low end torque power back.

Panacea
07-24-2005, 02:32 PM
Use a K&N filter. Have had my CAI for 3-4 years with no problems whatsoever.

DevilSlayer
07-24-2005, 04:33 PM
Would the Doctor Speed Cold Air Box be a better option then the CAI? Since the filter is in the engine bay, draws air from the fender well passage, and is heat shielded?

pyro
07-24-2005, 05:39 PM
u should make your own for the price they're asking

Pontiac Ninja
07-24-2005, 06:55 PM
how can i prevent water getting in my intake?

Should be fine man. I have been through many rain storms and have never gotten water in my APOC fenderwell CAI. You would have to drive through like 2 feet of water at a high speed to possible suck water up.

Ant
07-24-2005, 07:13 PM
i've gone through water deep enough to make "waves" come over the fenders, and still no problem with my K&N sourced CAI.

JohnnyB4439
07-24-2005, 07:58 PM
I havent had any problems, ive had my CAI for about 6 months or so. Been through rain and snow. The only problem is cleaning it. Ive noticed being in the fenderwell it gets dirtier faster.

Pontiac Ninja
07-24-2005, 09:16 PM
I havent had any problems, ive had my CAI for about 6 months or so. Been through rain and snow. The only problem is cleaning it. Ive noticed being in the fenderwell it gets dirtier faster.

How often have you had to clean it in 6 months? I've had mine for well over that and have not cleaned, so I was just wondering.

action
07-25-2005, 09:15 AM
dont go 70-mph WOT through flooded streets or lakes.

Exactly. A WAI is a waste of time and money, just keep the filter as high as possible, dont put it right behind the fog light and you'll be OK. For extra insurance, you can cover the gap in the plastic wheel well liner with black duct tape.

I've used a CAI here in Newfoundland (and it is as wet as it gets here) with no troubles in the last 4 years.

atc3434
07-25-2005, 09:44 AM
Better than getting water slashed on by in the fenderwell area. Its not really noticable .. WAI vs CAI.. like 1-2 hp loss. What CAI only give maybe 4hp max. Not a big deal. Better yet.. put your stock air back, you'll notice your low end torque power back.

You know that with a WAI you can see intake air temps well over 150* in the summer. You know that the car will pull up to 6* of timing right off the bat for air that hot. Plus, being that hot, you'll see knock retard, pulling even more timing. So, you might see 5 - 10 degree's of ignition retard. Every degree of ignition timing is worth between 1 and 3 horsepower, call it two for this argument. So, if you pull 10 degrees of ignition advance, you just lost 20hp. That, is why a WAI sucks.

AleroME
07-25-2005, 11:05 AM
You know that with a WAI you can see intake air temps well over 150* in the summer. You know that the car will pull up to 6* of timing right off the bat for air that hot. Plus, being that hot, you'll see knock retard, pulling even more timing. So, you might see 5 - 10 degree's of ignition retard. Every degree of ignition timing is worth between 1 and 3 horsepower, call it two for this argument. So, if you pull 10 degrees of ignition advance, you just lost 20hp. That, is why a WAI sucks.

alright...and? our car isn't make for speed to begin with. And i could careless to make it fast. Mines all show anyways. you don't have tell me about heat..i live in texas. Been almost 2 1/2 months without rain and 100 degree weather.

badboy2451
07-25-2005, 11:45 AM
i think there has been like 2 people who complained about gettin water sucked into their CAI...and there are tons of people on here that have never had a problem with it

hypothesis: dont worry about water, its not likely to happen

atc3434
07-25-2005, 11:51 AM
alright...and? our car isn't make for speed to begin with. And i could careless to make it fast. Mines all show anyways. you don't have tell me about heat..i live in texas. Been almost 2 1/2 months without rain and 100 degree weather.

So then, what is the purpose of the CAI if your not interested in speed? I'm not sure why your giving advice about someting you could care less about. My point is, know what your talking about before you start handing out advice.

AleroME
07-25-2005, 01:20 PM
So then, what is the purpose of the CAI if your not interested in speed? I'm not sure why your giving advice about someting you could care less about. My point is, know what your talking about before you start handing out advice.

I got a WAI and its for show. Not HP issues. Oh but I do know what i'm talking bout. Go read the wai vs cai old threads and stuff.

JohnnyB4439
07-25-2005, 06:31 PM
How often have you had to clean it in 6 months? I've had mine for well over that and have not cleaned, so I was just wondering.

Ive cleaned it twice so far. First time was pretty dirty because of winter, the second time was just the other day and it wasnt that bad. I just like to keep on top on it.