Headlights are always on... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Headlights are always on...

div1977
07-24-2005, 01:17 PM
On our newly purchased 97 Grand Am GT, the headlights and tail lights are always on. Or it seems most of the time. The switch is off, but they are on. I noticed on the drive home that they went out for a bit, then came back on. I am just worried that sometime at night they won't come back on. Is this a switch problem or something like that?? I appreciate any help...

pyro
07-24-2005, 01:22 PM
is there something covering the light sensor on the dash?

RamAirGT22
07-24-2005, 01:23 PM
:stupid:

tenspeed
07-24-2005, 01:47 PM
On my '96 Achieva, first the automatic headlights would not come on at dusk then the DRL's would stay on with the key off. At first I was pulling the silver relay in the drivers fuse panel (I had a duct tape tab on it). Then I made up a switch and fuse that I replaced the relay with so I could shut all power off to the headlights.

It's probably in the Body Control Module (BCM), I think that controlls all the lights.

GrandAmGT1996
07-24-2005, 09:04 PM
On my '96 GAGT my headlights wouldnt stay on when i first bought it, I almost had to hold it back a little...it was something within the whole peice. I took it back to the dealer and he replaced it all, fixed the problem. So I don't know if you might be having the same problem?

action
07-25-2005, 09:16 AM
It has automatic lights, the sensor is in the defroster vent for the windshield. Either you have something layed on the dash, or the sensor is really dirty. Pop off the grill, take out the sensor (round black thing with a 1/8" hole. Take it apart, clean it and test it. It'll work fine after.

div1977
07-26-2005, 02:41 PM
But the tail lights are also on. I don't think they should be on according to the manual if it were the daytime running lights. I think it is something in the switch or BCU as someone said. As long as they work I don't really care if they are on all the time...