Effects of the 1-2-3 in an automatic Grand AM [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Effects of the 1-2-3 in an automatic Grand AM

mm2311
07-24-2005, 11:58 PM
I just wanted to know about the effects of using the 1-2-3 in my transmission. Using it I can hold my gears longer and shift when I want instead of the computer doing it for me (basically tap-shifting). It seems to work a little better when racing cars......

However, I want to know if doing this occasionally is extremely bad for the trans...

I put the car in 1st gear only when the car is at a complete stop. I just want to know if I should stop doing this, and if so, why does Pontiac put it there in the first place.

I guess I'll need to start saving for a 6-speed car...any advice on this is appreciated.

Rich
07-25-2005, 12:01 AM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35513&highlight=321

i asked the same question before. but maybe some people can add some more. and when did they make a 200 grand am? :heh:

mm2311
07-25-2005, 12:05 AM
Ok thanks for the help

Yea...I forgot to mention...I NEVER downshift.....only upshift

I already knew that is terrible for an auto trans....

Rich
07-25-2005, 12:17 AM
an option, if you have the 2.4 or 2.2 and you're dying for a manual you could swap one in if you want. but if you have the v6 its not quite as easy.

rocketfast123
07-25-2005, 01:15 AM
Your best bet is to leave it in 2. On my 2.4 if i leave it in 2 it firms up the 1-2 shift. I do drop it down to 3 when on the interstate and i need to pass someone.

Malaclypse
07-25-2005, 08:50 AM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with downshifting your car so long as you aren't out-revving the gear you're downshifting into.

I do it all the time in my car.. usually when coasting to a stop and I don't feel like using the brakes. I'll downshift into 3 around 50 mph and into 2 at around 35 - 40 mph. Since 2nd gear in my car goes all the way to 81 mph there's no danger of hurting anything.

Hell.. sometimes I think its good for the transmission to go through the manual ranges. It clears the passeges in the channel plate by applying fluid through the entire transaxle and not just overdrive/drive range.

action
07-25-2005, 10:10 AM
When your downshifting, the computer wont let it shift if the revs will be too high. Eg, if your slowing down on the highway, you can pull the lever into 1st, but it wont actually go into 1st until about 50 kp/h.

I use it every now and then since I've owned my car, often when trailering, with no adverse side effects.

atc3434
07-25-2005, 10:48 AM
+1 for downshifting. I'll gear down when de-accelerating off the highway. Or I'll keep in a lower gear for stop and go traffic to avoid constant shifting. When I shift down, I feed a little throttle to the motor as the downshift comes, to make it easier on the engadging clutchpacks that are speedin up the motor. 105k and my tranny is still nice and firm.

I'll also manuel upshift at the track to pull gears deeper. Additionally, the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are firmer if you manuel shift them.