Whining Noise while driving [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Whining Noise while driving

CrucialTK
07-25-2005, 06:10 PM
Yeah, so I was driving the other day and noticed a whining coming from the engine bay. It gets louder while i'm accelerating, it almost sounds like a turbo spinning (it'd be nice if that were the problem). Its not limited to being in gear either. I popped it into neutral and brought it to 2200 and it was still whining.

I know this is vague, but any ideas?

ATL99GT
07-25-2005, 07:40 PM
Is it greater when you turn the wheel more drastically? If so it's that you're low on power steering fluid

Braves299
07-25-2005, 08:07 PM
you leaking any coolant? My water pump went bad and was spraying coolant onto my belt which would make it squeal.

Anyways, you prob. just need a new belt.

freakydeaky
07-26-2005, 07:56 AM
check your alternator

CrucialTK
07-26-2005, 02:01 PM
Not power steering (had a small problem with that from the beginning, the shop didn't tighten the cap up enough and it shot all over the car). I'm thinking its probably the accessory belt perhaps, because its not all the time that i hear it. If it weren't so friggin hot out right now I'd go check it.

DevilSlayer
07-26-2005, 07:31 PM
I'm having a similar noise. Loudest for me in first gear during WOT between 4k-6k RPM when the engine climbs fastest. Also happens during 2nd gear in same RPM range, but it isn't quite as loud. Doesn't happen all the time. At first I thought it was coming from the tranny. I thought that I might have had a worn out clutch plate or something, but then I thought to myself that I would have a lot more problems if it was infact a worn clutch plate.

So new belts should solve this problem? Which belts should I replace, if not all. I have 86k miles and I don't think any of the belts have ever been replaced. I bought the car used at 55k miles 3 years ago. Not sure if the dealer replaced them or not.

DevilSlayer
07-27-2005, 11:26 AM
Ok, just to add something for me. The noise only comes up while in drive. It doesn't make any sounds while I'm in neutral. And the noise has a whine, but also a little grinding noise. Def going to keep off the pedal till I figure it out. I think it may be my transmission.

freakydeaky
07-27-2005, 11:28 AM
c-h-e-c-k-y-o-u-r-a-l-t-e-r-n-a-t-o-r, it might also possibly be the hub assembly... put the front of the car up on jack stands.... put it in drive and give it gas, this will tell you whether or not it is the bearings

DevilSlayer
07-27-2005, 11:37 AM
c-h-e-c-k-y-o-u-r-a-l-t-e-r-n-a-t-o-r, it might also possibly be the hub assembly... put the front of the car up on jack stands.... put it in drive and give it gas, this will tell you whether or not it is the bearings
i-h-a-v-e-a-n-e-w-a-l-t-e-r-n-a-t-o-r Just had it replaced last October when the original died. Thanks to my Optima, I was able to get it to get it home before the battery died. And which bearings are you talking about? And where is the hub assembly?

freakydeaky
07-27-2005, 11:49 AM
i-h-a-v-e-a-n-e-w-a-l-t-e-r-n-a-t-o-r Just had it replaced last October when the original died. Thanks to my Optima, I was able to get it to get it home before the battery died. And which bearings are you talking about? And where is the hub assembly?
front wheel bearings.....

CrucialTK
07-27-2005, 02:24 PM
I'll have to talk to my friend about possibly using his dads jackstand.

GrahamKracka
07-27-2005, 03:06 PM
I have a simaler noise....tho it sounds more like a supercharger...most noticable in reverse

Chemboy
07-27-2005, 03:55 PM
I have a slight noise in my engine if my AC is running. It could be that if your AC is running...

DevilSlayer
07-27-2005, 05:27 PM
Ok, I take back what I said. It does make the noise in neutral, but since I can't get past 4k RPM it doesn't make the noise very much. Only between 4-6k RPM is the noise really noticeable. I'm pretty sure its my belts.

ganut
07-27-2005, 07:17 PM
I have a whining sound coming from my car too. :)

MetaGTP1
07-27-2005, 07:21 PM
I have a whining sound coming from my car too. :)So do I. It sounds like an SC. Oh yeah, it is an SC. lol

freakydeaky
07-28-2005, 07:20 AM
So do I. It sounds like an SC. Oh yeah, it is an SC. lol

ha..... ha.... lol

freakydeaky
07-28-2005, 07:21 AM
here's a really helpful link.... library (http://hostingprod.com/@aa1car.com/library.htm)

coupe
07-28-2005, 07:27 AM
I'm having a similar noise. Loudest for me in first gear during WOT between 4k-6k RPM when the engine climbs fastest. Also happens during 2nd gear in same RPM range, but it isn't quite as loud. Doesn't happen all the time. At first I thought it was coming from the tranny. I thought that I might have had a worn out clutch plate or something, but then I thought to myself that I would have a lot more problems if it was infact a worn clutch plate.

So new belts should solve this problem? Which belts should I replace, if not all. I have 86k miles and I don't think any of the belts have ever been replaced. I bought the car used at 55k miles 3 years ago. Not sure if the dealer replaced them or not.

You only have 1 belt.

freakydeaky
07-28-2005, 08:55 AM
You only have 1 belt.

only the serpentine belt.... if it is frayed, really worn, or noticeably loose it could make some noise... i doubt it's the belt

GrahamKracka
07-28-2005, 10:08 AM
my belt has maybe 1000 miles on it..cant be that

Braves299
07-28-2005, 08:56 PM
^It also may not be perfectly lined up.

ganut
07-28-2005, 10:27 PM
So do I. It sounds like an SC. Oh yeah, it is an SC. lol

mine sounds like a supercharger too! But I also get the Oh so good sound of the BOV.

on topic....... Try another brand of belt. If the one you have is new, it might just be shotty.

MetaGTP1
07-29-2005, 06:06 AM
The belt tensioner could be a possibility.

coupe
07-29-2005, 06:10 AM
Good call Kman, i dint even think about that. Thats an easy fix at least.

MetaGTP1
07-29-2005, 06:33 AM
Good call Kman, i dint even think about that. Thats an easy fix at least.I had to replace my tensioner twice. A bad tensioner will create a type of grinding sound and throw the belt out of proper tension.

coupe
07-29-2005, 07:37 AM
^^ Thats why i feel like an idiot. I had to replace my tensioner and belt 2 days after i bought the car.

w82drv
07-29-2005, 12:05 PM
well my car, for about 3 weeks now makes a loud ass whining noise. most noticible when i just started it up and goes away after the car and engine warms up. is that probably the same problem or could it be the power steering unit gettin ready to go? fluid level is at normal.

also i was driving at about 25 mph and all of a sudden my cars right front tire locked up, sounded like something blew. the pads and rotors are both brand new so i have a feeling its the hub. any comments?

DevilSlayer
07-29-2005, 04:31 PM
For some reason the noise no longer exists. It doesn't make it when the engine is cold or warmed up anymore (used to do it when the engine was warmed up). It's like the problem never existed *shrugs*. Until it starts making the noise again I probably won't need to bring it into the shop to get it fixed.

CrucialTK
08-02-2005, 04:05 PM
its not a grinding sound. Perhaps something is stuck in my intake... a friend said some intakes can make a sound like that depending on the piping

/btw, stock ram air.

AaronGAGT
08-02-2005, 06:50 PM
Does the sound change when you turn the wheel? If yes, then its most likely your hub assembly.

rgdwar1
08-04-2005, 09:30 AM
Just a quick question. Did you happen to stick your girlfriend in the trunk? Is she possibly whining in the passenger seat? If either are the case....

2 words!

DUCT TAPE