How to change transmisson fluid? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : How to change transmisson fluid?

Mendoza
07-28-2005, 02:17 PM
Hello everyone! I got a few questions i have 90,000 miles on my car now and i have never changed my tranny fluid. Since i have this many miles on it now i was thinking it would be a good decison to change the fluid and fliter. But my question is what fluid do i put inside the tranny and where do i buy the filter? Do you guys think that it is in good judgement to change the tranny fluid? Thanks for all the help i hope to get! :gablack2:

Malaclypse
07-28-2005, 11:47 PM
At that mileage? Depending on your driving conditions and how you treat the car.. I'd have chagned the fluid at 50,000. Close to 100k there's quite a bit more risk of your transmission grenading on you after a fluid change.

No powerflushes and no abrasive chemicals. A pan drop and filter change would be the best idea in your instance. Use Dexron III Mercon. I find my transmission likes the Castrol or GM branded Dexron III.

fireshadow540
07-30-2005, 01:29 AM
i use the valvoline brand dexron 3 in my fluid changes ive done 5 on my 99 without any problems..there is one thing to remember though that when you are doin it that the gasket for the tranny pan is rubber and is reusable as long as you dont tear,rip, or cut it in any way..which makes out for a cheaper change..filter only kits are around 20-30 bucks the gasket is around 40-50 dependin on where you go to get it.. pretty much any parts store should have the parts you need...hope i helped out some...