'00 GAGT Won't Start - Clicking Noise? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : '00 GAGT Won't Start - Clicking Noise?

Phayze
07-30-2005, 04:43 PM
After running a few errands this morning, I was about to head out again with a friend. I turned my key in the ignition and nothing happened, except a clicking noise started. We traced the noise down to underneath and behind the glovebox, right near the end-side fuse box.

The noise continues to click (going right now, the car is off and everything is closed) no matter what, unless I turn the key in the ignition again, but it begins again right when I let go. A friend said it's probably the battery, is there truth to this? I'm stranded, someone save me! :X

mcgrady
07-30-2005, 05:59 PM
The fog light relay always clicks in that area when I leave the switch on.

Sounds like you have a battery/alternator/starter issue.

Have someone tap on the starter with a hammer while you are cranking. If the starter drive is seized, this may temporarily loosen it up.

If a battery boost gets it going, it's probably a bad battery. If it's an AC Delco from the factory, it's probably no good.

And please don't let some idiot check to see if your alternator is good by unplugging the negative battery cable while the engine is running if you get it running.

XtremeGaGt00
07-31-2005, 08:21 AM
did you check to see if you have it in gear? wont start that way either...

tjc13
07-31-2005, 10:12 AM
I would bet it's your battery...

Ajaxus
07-31-2005, 11:03 AM
check the + and - battery terminals for corrosion, if there is some go to the store and get some "purple stuff"..sometimes a corroded terminal will stop the flow from your battery and make your car appear that it has a dead battery, when infact your battery has a full charge.

crazypontiac03
07-31-2005, 11:16 AM
Its probably the battery. Just had the same thing happen to my mom's van. Is it still on the orginal battery? If so its a pretty good bet its ur battery. Or just buy a new one anyone and if it still wont crack then its prob ur alt, or starter. Probably the battery though.

customcarsff
07-31-2005, 11:19 AM
100 percent sure its your batterey i had the same problem. i replaced it with a optima red top. and its so much better.