Electrical Problems... Please Help! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problems... Please Help!

SlimStyleGT
08-03-2005, 02:12 PM
Hey everyone, I hope this is the correct area to post this. I own a 99' GAGT and I've got three problems I'd love some help with.

1. My drivers side window switch has quit on me. In a strange way though, it did not simply stop as if I had lost connection. At first it would randomly not work as if I had a poor connection, but the problem got worse. For a while it would go down one time after I started my car and then only go up, then it would not go down again. Then if i turned off my car and pulled the key out and turn the accessories on, it would go down one time again and then up as much and as many times as i pleased. Now it has quit working all together though.

2. Started around the same time as the window dilemma. Randomly while driving my warning alarm goes off with my Traction Off light going off and my ABS light. I can be idling ahead at 5mph or driving 75mph down the freeway, random. Turn the car off and restart it and its ok, this happens 1/2 to 1/3 the time I am driving.

3. It feels as though my car cuts out under excelleration. Almost like i hit a fuel cut or lose spark. It hesitates for a second in mid pick up or will do it in multiple bursts - typically worse if i'm running the air conditioning. Seems like possibly bad wires/plugs or a fuel pump, what do you think?

Anyone had any of these problems and can let me know what happened so I can get working on them. Thanks a lot for the help and guidance.

Dave

(Good info on the resistor for the blower too, my car came that way... i thought thats just the way it was... soon to tackle that too!)

SlimStyleGT
08-04-2005, 06:31 AM
Update: Yesterday and well now everytime i start my car for that matter, as soon as i put my car in gear my SVS light comes on. This first came on when i came out of work yesterday and the hesitation problem was terrible while i was driving home. I let it sit for 5 hours, checked all fluids/fine and then took it for a spin and the hesitation problem relaxed a little and the SVS light didn't appear, but when i started it this morning for work, once again... SVS light. Any one with these problems before and know the diagnosis?

SC/TGrandAm
08-04-2005, 06:47 AM
SVS light usually has nothing to do with an engine problem. It usually has something to do with a burnt out light bulb or something stupid like that. SES light is the engine problem light.

If you have hesitation its probably something with the fuel delivery system. Id start with changing the fuel filter, cleaning the injectors. I doubt its the fuel pump unless its clogged up or something.

Not sure about your other problems.

excitement
08-04-2005, 10:02 AM
For #2: Your ABS/Traction light going on and off sounds like a speed sensor issue. That's usually a symptom of the sensor/wiring harness going bad.

For #3: Have your fuel system serviced and check/replace plugs and wires. Check coil pack also.

The SVS means you have a bulb out somewhere. Check your headlights and DRL to see if they're working.

SlimStyleGT
08-04-2005, 10:55 AM
Hey guys thanks a lot for the info. Everything seems straight forward and i'll start trying things out. Only question: for #2, where would my speed sensor be located and if this is the problem, anyone have a idea on the price of new parts? Thanks again, I have to do the brakes this weekend so i'll just go over my fuel system this weekend too.

excitement
08-04-2005, 01:12 PM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52295&highlight=speed+sensor
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51333&highlight=speed+sensor
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15007&highlight=speed+sensor
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49850&highlight=speed+sensor

SlimStyleGT
08-04-2005, 01:50 PM
Well I guess i have one more thing to look at while doing the brakes haha. Thanks much, you've cured a lot of my frusteration, now just the disappointment of spending the cash for the repairs... Hopefully the window and hesitation work out too.