P0301 Cylinder #1 Misfire [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : P0301 Cylinder #1 Misfire

Micro Trauma
08-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Hi everyone.
Sadly I've stumbled across this forum while looking for some help with a SES light (P0301 - Cylinder #1 Misfire). I'm hoping someone here can offer some insight.
Here's what's going on; I filled up my 2000 GAGT on a Saturday morning. Later that afternoon, after the car had been sitting for an hour or so, it idled rather rough and flashed the SES light. I assumed it was a bad batch of fuel and ran some Iso-Heet through it, but that was no help. So I changed all six plugs and wires, PCV (long as I was in mechanic mode) and ran a more expensive fuel treatment (some STP $9/bottle was of money BS). Also I've filled up a time or 2 since this began so the suspect fuel should be gone by now.

Basically the car idles roughest while stopped and in drive. When in park or neutral the car idles much more smoothly (makes no sense to me) but light stays on. If I accelerate to about 25-30mph the the light begins to flash and will continue to flash at higher speeds, however the engine seems to run much more smoothly.

So now for my questions....has anyone had a similiar problem and what seemed to fix it? My guess is either a stuck valve or fuel injector, but either way I'm not sure I'm able to fix it myself. Anyone changed their own injectors? I'm thinking it's time to take it in since even if I can identify the problem the fix is likely to out reach my abilities....Unless any of you folks have a suggestion

Thanks!

Ajaxus
08-04-2005, 12:16 PM
yep, definitely a misfire, make sure you check that its only just one, cause i had 3 misfiring at once on mine. cant really tell you how to fix it cause my lazy ass had a mechanic do it.

before others bitch at you, all i have to say is that you should do a thorough search on the subject, its certainly been covered many times before.

hope ya find somethin or someone posts somethin more helpful than i did.

Micro Trauma
08-04-2005, 12:37 PM
Thanks
I've done a search....perhaps not for the right phrases. :hammer:
I'll check again... :newbie:

But really what's an internet forum without folks to tell ya what a moron and a jackass you are...?
Bring on the bitching

:rtfm :hang: :rage:

XDEVILMANX
08-04-2005, 02:10 PM
I have the same problem, except mine is #4. I cleared out the code with my buddies gadget and said "F" that......

I however have a problem with the ABS light, service vehicle soon, and trac off light all coming on at once. Anyone have any help for that problem????

Ajaxus
08-04-2005, 03:21 PM
um, for the track off light, did you try pushing the little "ETS" button right above your stereo headunit?

SVS is probably due to the misfire. and i wouldnt know where to begin with the abs light.

Mike Jung
08-04-2005, 09:27 PM
...SVS is probably due to the misfire...
:nono:

That would be a SES light.

About the mis-fire: Also check the coil packs & the connections to the spark plug wires for corrosion & get the fuel injectors clean through the rails.

If your engine is running lean: When was the last time you changed the fuel filter ?

About the idle: Clean-out the throttle body area of carbon & gunk & change/clean the air filter.

Mike Jung
08-04-2005, 09:33 PM
...I however have a problem with the ABS light, service vehicle soon, and trac off light all coming on at once. Anyone have any help for that problem????
Check your wheel hubs & wheel speed sensor wire connections.

Check your battery & alternator for proper power operations; low power will disable your ABS fuction.

GrandAmGT1996
08-04-2005, 10:25 PM
In my dads '99 F-150, he had a misfire. All we did was go out to Autozone, told the guy we have a misfire in the engine and that we need a new coil. We got the new coil, pulled out the old one and put the new one in...problem solved. As for the "what is a coil" question...follow your spark plug wires to your #1 cylinder and there should be a rubber piece you should be able to pull out and that is your coil its kinda long. I don't know about on the GA's though, this is judging from doing it on a F-150. So I can't gaurntee that the GA will be the same, since one is a GM product and the other is a Ford. I'll try to get a picture of what the coil looks like on an F-150 since the old one is laying in our garage...but I need to borrow my friends digital camera since mine is broken.

Micro Trauma
08-05-2005, 09:04 AM

About the mis-fire: Also check the coil packs & the connections to the spark plug wires for corrosion & get the fuel injectors clean through the rails.

Thanks for the suggestion, but if it is the coil wouldn't 2 cylinders be misfiring (not sure what cylinder shares a coil with #1 off hand)??

Still worth a try since a shop quoted me $1300 to replace all six injectors :rolleyes:

Any suggestions on how to clean the injectors through the rail?? That definately sounds like it's worth trying. I was thinking about scraping the six that were in there and installing some new one's myself but it looks like injectors for the 2000 are $$$$$.
Much rather try and clean the stock one's... :smokin:

thx!

Ajaxus
08-05-2005, 09:58 AM

That would be a SES light.

you know what i meant. i type like **** when im in a rush.

Sprucegagt
08-05-2005, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, but if it is the coil wouldn't 2 cylinders be misfiring (not sure what cylinder shares a coil with #1 off hand)??

Still worth a try since a shop quoted me $1300 to replace all six injectors :rolleyes:

Any suggestions on how to clean the injectors through the rail?? That definately sounds like it's worth trying. I was thinking about scraping the six that were in there and installing some new one's myself but it looks like injectors for the 2000 are $$$$$.
Much rather try and clean the stock one's... :smokin:

thx!

If one terminal on the coil pack is corroded enough, only one cylinder will misfire. I believe you have a bad injector. Verify this by checking if you are getting spark to #1 cylinder. If you don't know how to do this, find someone who does. Your spark plugs operate on a very LETHAL voltage.

If you are getting spark, then it pretty much narrows things down. To change the injector you will need to remove the UIM. It's not hard but only if you are mechanically inclined. Don't bother changing all the injectors, just the one that is bad.

Mike Jung
08-06-2005, 04:29 PM
...get the fuel injectors clean through the rails...

...Any suggestions on how to clean the injectors through the rail?? That definately sounds like it's worth trying...
You can take it to a garage & get them to do a fuel injector flush/cleaning.
Where they hook-up a can (or machine) that contains pressurized cleaner, that hooks-up to the fuel injector's rail & the engine runs of it instead of gasoline.

Make sure to get your oil changed afterwards.
Any unburned cleaner will end up in contaminating your engine oil.

digitalballz
08-06-2005, 05:55 PM
If one terminal on the coil pack is corroded enough, only one cylinder will misfire. I believe you have a bad injector. Verify this by checking if you are getting spark to #1 cylinder. If you don't know how to do this, find someone who does. Your spark plugs operate on a very LETHAL voltage.

If you are getting spark, then it pretty much narrows things down. To change the injector you will need to remove the UIM. It's not hard but only if you are mechanically inclined. Don't bother changing all the injectors, just the one that is bad.

I can vouch that the spark from the wires is very powerful. Had one hit me pretty good a couple of monthe ago. I was lucky to cuz it was on a weak coil on a ford.

Micro Trauma
08-08-2005, 09:17 AM
Thanks a lot for the info guys! I'm pretty confident it's the injector myself....probably call up some shops today see what the dammage will be. Would like to do it myself but the wife usually takes this car and the last thing I need is to hear it from her if there's a problem with my fix job...

BS thing is I'm pretty sure this is all the result of some contaminated fuel....#$%#$%# Mobile!! :rage:

Thanks again, i'll let ya know how it turns out...

Micro Trauma
08-12-2005, 07:58 AM
WELL...it turns out it's a crapped out injector. Took it to the shop to have them cleaned and they were able to tell that the injector is hosed and has to be replaced. At least they checked before they did the cleaning. They had suggested just replacing the bad injector with another stock one so that's what ime doing...err paying to have done rather.....Thanks again for all the help/info.

:driving: