Remove A/C completely [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Remove A/C completely

2000GT
08-05-2005, 12:00 AM
Does anyone know if this is possible? I know it is in other cars and it frees up like one or two hp. Just wondering cause i dont want to pay 800 or more to get something fixed that I dont use.

SpyhunteR
08-05-2005, 02:18 AM
I removed my entire a/c system and kept the heater.. I have a quad, not that v6 bull though.

action
08-05-2005, 07:08 AM
If you depressurize the system (if you have had a leak its already depressurized) your already saving your horse power. The pully on the AC compressor has an electric clutch that will engage and disengage the pump as needed. Right now with the pressure switch reading zero, the pump will never kick in so the pully is just freewheeling. Removing the system will free up no more power (it dont take any power really to turn a free pulley) and the weight savings will be miminal and not worth the fooling around finding a new belt size to fit plus the hacked apperance of your engine bay (resale killer).

2000GT
08-05-2005, 07:50 AM
yeah I was just wondering cause the compressor is makeing this loud screeching noise when not being used

coupe
08-05-2005, 08:28 AM
Im gonna remove mine eventaully. The only hard part is finding the right size belt.

2000GT
08-05-2005, 10:38 AM
yeah I that was my only worry if I wouldn't be able to find the right size belt.

action
08-08-2005, 09:43 AM
On the compressor, there's a plug on the front close to the pully, if you unplug it , it will ensure that the compressor isnt kicking in. If it still makes the noise then you have a bad bearing in the compressor. You can either fool around and find a shorter belt, or for some vechicles you can buy a bracket with a pully on it so you can use the same belt.