tranny problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : tranny problems

BoodabulB
08-11-2005, 01:29 PM
its rare but sometimes when i back up and put my ga into drive it takes a few seconds to catch the gear, I took it in to have the tranny flushed, about a week after the service the same problem happened, any idea what might be causing this?

Graxall
08-11-2005, 03:19 PM
your tranny is gone to sh!t. its slipping like you said, the problem will keep getting worse n worse. i had a 1990 mustang lx, it took like 5s to change gears and it wud jump like a mofo. I brought it to a place to get LOOKED at. told me its 2g's for new tranny to be rebuilt i said EF that cuz i bought the car for 500 so i said put it back together and ill just drive till it dies. Still cost me 300 to have it looked at cleaned and put back together so i got screwed then like a month later blew a cylinder or 2(on a inline 4 lol) and it died, then i got my GA. But yea moral of the story, hope u got warranty or ur gonnba be paying like 2-3g's for a new tranny. for now i suggest getting that no slip tranny stuff from like pep boys..helps a lil

rizer
08-13-2005, 02:13 AM
Try unplugging your battery for a minute or so and let the computer relearn, specially since you said its rare, might help out. Its normal on my car, its about 2 seconds to engage into reverse and bout the same time when going into drive.
Dropped the tranny last week in class and inspected everything, no issues at all. In my opinion, gm just made a sloppy tranny with no dipstick

DevilSlayer
08-13-2005, 12:55 PM
Try unplugging your battery for a minute or so and let the computer relearn, specially since you said its rare, might help out. Its normal on my car, its about 2 seconds to engage into reverse and bout the same time when going into drive.
Dropped the tranny last week in class and inspected everything, no issues at all. In my opinion, gm just made a sloppy tranny with no dipstick
Seriously. Theres no way for us to check fluid levels, and if there was a dipstick the hole to pour the fluid in is tucked up nice and deep where we can't reach. Then draining it is messier then it needs to be because there's no plug on the tranny pan. Manual says that the fluid never needs to be changed just like the coolant doesnt need to be changed or topped off for 150,000 or whatever miles :erika: SURRRREEE, I won't change it ever.......if I want it to die just after the warranty expires. Already had the tranny system completely flushed it at 80k miles and replaced all the fluid with Royal Purple Max ATF. Slightly smoother shifts in general, and significantly smoother when shifting during WOT. Other then that I haven't noticed a difference. Hopefully the RP will help extend the tranny's life.

digitalballz
08-13-2005, 02:23 PM
I allready changed the tranny fluid twice on my car. Not cuz I was having problems, just figured it couldnt hurt. Did it once at 30,000 and then again just a couple weeks ago around 46,000 cuz I had nothing to do at work. As for the radiator I had a new one put in when i crashed the car. So thats new as of last november

Undersexed
08-13-2005, 09:21 PM
They tell you not to change it 'cause they expect the fluid to outlast the predicted lifetime of the car itself... Tell you anything?

00blackGT
08-14-2005, 11:38 AM
Hey my car does the same thing, But when it starts to take a few to shift gears i will come to a stop and then take off and my rpms will be high but my car will not be going hardly anywhere then goes to redline and shifts into 2nd. (After going thought the whole rpm range to shift out of 1st). The dealer told me i was low on fluid and the tranny pan bolts where lose...so i will have to see how it goes now.

grandamgto1
08-17-2005, 06:40 PM
My 98 GT did that alot before the tranny went out completely somtimes it took up to 10 seconds.All I did was floor the gas so that when it did shift people thought I could really do a burnout.The car now rests in my backyard.

boost21
08-17-2005, 06:53 PM
my mom's cadillac did it...had the tranny rebuilt..1400 dollars later it is working fine :thumbs:

bigtard
08-20-2005, 12:31 PM
its rare but sometimes when i back up and put my ga into drive it takes a few seconds to catch the gear, I took it in to have the tranny flushed, about a week after the service the same problem happened, any idea what might be causing this?

I have a 1999 GT that does the same thing on occasion. I took it to one transmission shop, and they told me that they couldn't find anything wrong. (Obviously there's something wrong -- why do they think I took it to them?) Then I took it to a GM dealership. They couldn't find anything wrong either. They basically said, "well, with that many miles (~94k) you'll probably have to get a new transmission. A service replacement will cost about $3600."

For now, it only seems to slip when shifting into drive when it gets really hot. And since I only drive it about 5 miles for my commute each way, it doesn't normally get hot. So, I'm just hoping nothing goes out any time soon

Brken123
12-30-2005, 03:22 PM
Anyone's tranny do this? It's hard to explain, but I'll do my best. Ok...say your coming up to a stop sign. You slow down, and naturally the car downshifts accordingly....but when you get to the stop sign, you don't completely stop. At this point the trans is in second gear, as it won't downshift to first unless you come to a complete stop. Now me (i don't always stop completely at stop signs....depending on where they are ;) ) I'll put my foot back on the gas (while it's in second gear) and it will literally rev up for about a second an a half, as if i threw it in neutral to show off the exhaust or something, and slam back into gear. It's almost as if the computer is telling the car to downshift into first....and as it goes to do it, midshift it realizes it didn't need to, so it goes back to second. It does this about 2 or 3 times until it gets back up into the 3000 rpm range. Anyone have something similar to this happen to them? Any idea's what it is? Bad selonid? Bad bands in the tranny itself? I have about 2000 miles left on my extended warranty, and believe me this is going in the shop. Just popped on here to see if anyone has ever heard of or experienced this?

Bonnor
06-23-2006, 05:43 PM
my tranny is acting up again..today once i shifted it into drive from reverse the car started top surge..it surged about 2 times then the tranny finally caught and it drove fine..then i slowed down adn started driving again and the same thing happened...now this has happened to be be4..it happened last year about 18,000km/s ago and i went and had teh tranny flushed, preassurized and then refilled and it seemed to work fine...excapt for today when it started to slip..also where do i find where 2 fill teh tranny up with fluid?

Bonnor
06-23-2006, 05:43 PM
my tranny is acting up again..today once i shifted it into drive from reverse the car started top surge..it surged about 2 times then the tranny finally caught and it drove fine..then i slowed down adn started driving again and the same thing happened...now this has happened to be be4..it happened last year about 18,000km/s ago and i went and had teh tranny flushed, preassurized and then refilled and it seemed to work fine...excapt for today when it started to slip..also where do i find where 2 fill teh tranny up with fluid?

GA SE/T
06-28-2006, 03:15 AM
Well, I'm not having those exact problems with my 4T40E, but when I go from "N" to "D", the damn engine lunges foward and then follows the car with a lunge. We replaced the rear tranny mount as it did have a crack in the rubber but no fix. :( Still lunges foward and I hear major clunking noises. I know I'm screwed.......:crying: It also "clunks" in every gear up/down shifting. This sux.
Anyone ever replaced their 40E???? Looking into how much $$$$ I'm going to have to invest.........and I do have a 2.4........

Bonnor
06-28-2006, 04:14 AM
probably $2000-$3500 to replace it