need a direct fit high flow catalytic converter [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : need a direct fit high flow catalytic converter

buffbison
08-11-2005, 08:09 PM
I did use the search feature, however not much turned up.

I need a new catalytic converter. the one i had was a random technology and had little over 20,000 miles on it (will contact random for replacement under warranty, although i'm affriad they won't honor it, since they no longer produce these. )

SO. Is there a direct fit high performance catalytic converters out in the market for grand ams? I searched on the internet, but nothing came up. However i did find this at advance auto, http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=MAR&mfrpartnumber=652071&parttype=145&ptset=A i doubt its high performance, but the price seems to be very steep for just a regular catalytic converter. so im gonna check it out tomorrow and see what kind of converter it is. anywho, if anyone has insight on one, please let me know! thanks!

MetaGTP1
08-11-2005, 09:00 PM
I did use the search feature, however not much turned up.

I need a new catalytic converter. the one i had was a random technology and had little over 20,000 miles on it (will contact random for replacement under warranty, although i'm affriad they won't honor it, since they no longer produce these. )

SO. Is there a direct fit high performance catalytic converters out in the market for grand ams? I searched on the internet, but nothing came up. However i did find this at advance auto, http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=MAR&mfrpartnumber=652071&parttype=145&ptset=A i doubt its high performance, but the price seems to be very steep for just a regular catalytic converter. so im gonna check it out tomorrow and see what kind of converter it is. anywho, if anyone has insight on one, please let me know! thanks!There are no direct-fit cats for the GA. Try www.fulllineexhaust.com for a selection of high-flow converters at good prices.

DevilSlayer
08-11-2005, 09:04 PM
There are no direct-fit cats for the GA. Try www.fulllineexhaust.com for a selection of high-flow converters at good prices.
How about this one? S&S high flow cat for 3.4L Grand Am (https://ssl10.mysecureserver.com/bosstoolscom/store/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idproduct=545)

MetaGTP1
08-11-2005, 09:14 PM
How about this one? S&S high flow cat for 3.4L Grand Am (https://ssl10.mysecureserver.com/bosstoolscom/store/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idproduct=545)It seems to say that the price is for the cat only. If that is the actual picture, it doesn't look like it would fit.

buffbison
08-11-2005, 09:25 PM
looks like it would fit. But what i'm not sure is what kind of converter is used and who made it. Is it a magnaflow converter?? and does S & S make them direct fit? ... hmm i guess im gonna shoot them an email to find out.

buffbison
08-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Okay, I have another question. The car did have a coolent leak awhile back and i couldn't get it fixed till a month later. While I was thinking what caused the fairly new converter to fail, the leaked coolent came into mind. So my question is, is it possible for the coolent to clog the converter enough, the point its unoperating? Also, would using something like brake cleaner would unclog it, or is it once its clogged, its done for? (in the event the converter is clogged. I am willing to give it a try) Thanks.

DevilSlayer
08-11-2005, 10:13 PM
I seriously seriously doubt a coolant leak would clog the converter. If coolant somehow got into the exhaust it would just go through the cat. By fairly new, how new do you mean? 10k miles? 20k miles? I've heard that the coating on TOG headers flaking off can clog the cat. Oh, and I doubt brake cleaner will work.

buffbison
08-11-2005, 10:22 PM
20k on the cat.. i dont know how long random technology's ccs are guaranteed for, but its gotta last longer than 20k!

DevilSlayer
08-11-2005, 10:45 PM
86k miles on my stocker and still going.

buffbison
08-12-2005, 12:45 PM
Good news everyone! Since there was a check engine light when all of this happened, I went to my parents house today to use my trouble code reader. After checking it, it spewed out the same information what the reader from advance auto told me, catalytic converter low theshold. Still, I wasn't convinced it was the catalytic converter. So i checked the systems check on the O2 sensors and other vitals with the reader.... TADA... The voltage reading for the second O2 was only .01! Well below normal. The normal voltage is .1. SOOO. The first thing I'm going to replace will be the O2 sensor and cross my fingers.

I am so glad I paid that extra $500 for a really good trouble code reader, instead of the same $100 reader used from advance. That thing has paid for itself!