CAI and engine oil? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : CAI and engine oil?

02andahalfgt
08-12-2005, 09:30 PM
So I had my car in for an oil change at the beginning of July and I was also throwing a SES light and the car is running/starting differently when it has less than half a tank. They tell me I need a new fuel pressure regulator. Replace it, SES goes away, car runs better. Couple days later the SES is back, I take the car back and they tell me that I should take off the CAI b/c the computer doesn't understand the different amount of air entering the engine. The tech then says that a stock intake pulls in about 3 grams of air (not sure what he means by that, 3 grams measured against what?) and with the CAI I'm taking in over 5 grams. He says that having that much air come into the engine will force the oil out of the engine thus seizing the motor. I'm thinking :erika:, sounds like BS to me. Then yesterday my change oil light comes on 1300 miles before I'm due for a change. (Also this is the first time the change oil light has come on in the 3 years I've owned the car.)

So is his claim legit? He says I need to get a new chip or something to fix the problem but they won't touch anything like that. (Again, :erika: )

So should I be worried about this? I find it hard to believe I'm due for an oil change after 6 weeks and less than 2000 miles.

lironet
08-12-2005, 10:03 PM
I take the car back and they tell me that I should take off the CAI b/c the computer doesn't understand the different amount of air entering the engine. The tech then says that a stock intake pulls in about 3 grams of air (not sure what he means by that, 3 grams measured against what?) and with the CAI I'm taking in over 5 grams. He says that having that much air come into the engine will force the oil out of the engine thus seizing the motor.

Perhaps this “tech” would like explain how my friends supercharged car runs perfectly fine without him modifying the computer. I sure as hell know that my friend’s engine stuffs more air with his supercharger than your CAI.

I'm not even remotely an expert in this field, but it does sound like BS.

Ryan
08-12-2005, 10:13 PM
Hahahha.......WHAT!!

The CAI has NOTHING to do with airflow. The throttle limits airflow. You could run without an airbox/filter at all and the car would run. Sure you could run dirt right into the intake and a backfire could start the engine bay one fire, but the car will run fine.

I had to read that post twice....most ****amaymee thing I had EVER read.

He says that having that much air come into the engine will force the oil out of the engine thus seizing the motor

Sounds like Cooter got a job at the dealership.

pulls in about 3 grams of air (not sure what he means by that, 3 grams measured against what?) and with the CAI I'm taking in over 5 grams

Airflow is measured in CFMs. Grams are the measurement of the crack this guy's been smoking.

Honestly, this guy was prolly having fun with you. I'd go talk to the service manager and tell him how you don't appreciate being ridiculed.

02andahalfgt
08-12-2005, 10:31 PM
I figured this was BS, I didn't take it seriously til my oil light came on so early. Oh, and this guy was the service manager, tech is just the first word I thought of while typing the post. lol :nono:

Matt95GT
08-14-2005, 08:50 PM
:rx7:

Time to stop going to there. I know there's many crooked service centers in the Lehigh Valley, but that excuse for incompetence takes the cake. Sounds like the FPR was an uneducated guess, and now they'll blame any aftermarket equipment for their poor troubleshooting.

AznGA
08-14-2005, 09:20 PM
Jon, I have Dr. Speed CAI and SLP exhaust, just like you. Never had SES light come on at all, no matter how I drive it. Check plugs and wires. They might be misfiring.

02andahalfgt
08-14-2005, 09:21 PM
I know there's many crooked service centers in the Lehigh Valley

Tell me about it, I thought this place was cool, no one I know has had any problems. I'm running out of places to take my car. lol Can't trust anyone.

GAGTnut38
08-14-2005, 09:38 PM
do you have the mass airflow sensor thats calibrated for cai installed cuz that may be the problem . just a idea from a guy who is around grease monkeys all the time

badboy2451
08-14-2005, 09:42 PM
Airflow is measured in CFMs. Grams are the measurement of the crack this guy's been smoking.

thats great :heh: :thumbs:

notsoaveragej0e
08-14-2005, 09:42 PM
Grams are the measurement of the crack this guy's been smoking.

:heh: :crazy:

Malaclypse
08-14-2005, 10:18 PM
Airflow measurement by the MAF is displayed on the Tech 2 as both grams/second and frequency of MAF switching in Hz. In saying that he's correct. All the rest is crap, though.

5 g/s sounds normal to me. Get your car scanned at an Autozone and let us know what the code is.

02andahalfgt
08-14-2005, 10:24 PM
do you have the mass airflow sensor thats calibrated for cai installed cuz that may be the problem . just a idea from a guy who is around grease monkeys all the time

Pro-M cold air calibrated. :thumbs:

Matt95GT
08-14-2005, 10:41 PM
Tell me about it, I thought this place was cool, no one I know has had any problems. I'm running out of places to take my car. lol Can't trust anyone.

Out of curiousity, where was it? I have a fairly large sh1tlist of places in that area.

I can highly recommend 1 guy... my family has trusted him for years. He even has given us freebie parts (alternator pulley, bulbs, etc) because either his supplier didn't charge him (pulley) or if he considers "part of standard service" (bulbs) - that honest. PM me if you want the info... he's great for any old-school wrenching work, but he doesn't care much for OBDII troubleshooting. (in other words if you want to troubleshoot yourself, he'll change out/rebuild anything you want)

02andahalfgt
08-15-2005, 05:12 PM
PM me if you want the info...

That would be awesome, shoot the info my way! :thumbs:

It was at the Faulkner dealership on Stoke Park Rd. near Steak n Ale. Used to be Faulkner Olds, now it's chevy/caddy/saab/subaru.