gas guzzler [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : gas guzzler

1hotgagt
08-17-2005, 07:38 PM
ok i drive about 15 miles a day to tech school and most of it is highway driving and i noticed my car uses quarter of a tank just one way im killing a tank of gas in 2 days any ideas what could be eating my gas so fast? the fuel filter is new so are the spark plugs and wires im thinking maybe injecters? and also the other day i pressed the gas pedal and nothing happened i pressed it farther and still nothing happened i didnt get a responce until the pedal was about on the floor and my rpms jumped to 4000 and then a sec later right back to 2000 some help please im lost maybe my tps? i would appreciate it

NorKoastal
08-17-2005, 08:24 PM
Car smell like eggs?? Might be a clogged Cat or bad O2 sensor

lironet
08-17-2005, 08:39 PM
and also the other day i pressed the gas pedal and nothing happened i pressed it farther and still nothing happened i didnt get a response until the pedal was about on the floor and my rpms jumped to 4000 and then a sec later right back to 2000

Sounds like a clogged cat to me. The following is a direct quote from a website about exhaust systems.

"Sometimes you can tell that a converter is clogged because you don't go any faster when you push the gas pedal. Also, there usually is a noticeable drop in gas mileage associated with a clogged catalytic converter."

traingeek087
08-17-2005, 10:09 PM
where do you get a new cat and how much do they cost? I have the same kind of problems, but on a lower level. And since I'm doing my exhast soon, I might as well change that while I'm fiddling around with it.

R1ce Hata
08-17-2005, 10:40 PM
If you know the Cat is clogged/broken, take it to a Pontiac dealer's service center. I did this (pieces of my cat broke off inside) and they replaced it for free b/c the cat failed on its own. I think my car had around 65k miles on it when this happened...so under 100k miles they will replace it free of charge as long as the cat failed!

rizer
08-18-2005, 07:57 PM
and also the other day i pressed the gas pedal and nothing happened i pressed it farther and still nothing happened i didnt get a responce until the pedal was about on the floor and my rpms jumped to 4000 and then a sec later right back to 2000 some help please im lost maybe my tps? i would appreciate it

Does it rev smoothly when in Neutral? If it isnt, then the torque converter could be giving you crap

1hotgagt
08-19-2005, 06:44 PM
i had a guy at like midas or one of them lil places check it and he took me into the shop and he punched the cat and told me if it dont rattle its good go figure but i am noticing a exhaust smell coming into my car coudl that me that cat backing up? and my acceleration is terrible too thats caused by a bad cat right?

stewartsolsi
08-19-2005, 07:42 PM
Could be anything from faulty/clogged emissions, faulty EGR valve or bad cat.....Probly bad cat.