Does anybody else have a starting problem?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else have a starting problem??

ktgdgt04
08-17-2005, 09:46 PM
Ive owned my grand am for a year next month. Its an 04 and ive been the only owner. Well when I start it sometimes it turns over but takes a few seconds to start. Sometimes I have to have it on the start position for like 10 seconds just for it to start! Ive had it in about it and since of course it didnt do it when they started it they say theres nothing wrong. DOes anybody else have this problem? If you did and got it fixed what was wrong??? When I owned a 95' firebird a few years ago I had the same exact problem with it, is it just a pontiac thing or what??? I thought then it was just because the car was older.

bossoftech
08-17-2005, 09:52 PM
you i have the same with my 04 couple sometime if i shut if off and start it back up within a few minutes it takes a couples of seconds to turn over.

its kinda embarrising when it does it when theres a bunch of people around

Panacea
08-17-2005, 09:53 PM
It's called the passlock system. You need to turn your key to the "On" position (Without starting it) for 3 seconds to allow the fuel system to pressurize. Once you do that it should start without a problem.

CrucialTK
08-18-2005, 06:59 PM
Do 01 grand ams have that? Cuz sometimes my engine just doesn't want to turn over. It does after a few tries though...

badboy2451
08-18-2005, 09:56 PM
yea my 99 does that...throw it in the "on" position and u will hear the fuel pump kick on, when the sound is gone just start the car

grandamracer05
08-18-2005, 11:12 PM
It might be good for yall to look into any recalls pontiac has had lately because i have a 96 that had problems starting and i found out that they had recalled the whole ignition system in the steering column and i had to go have it replaced. it cost nothing because it is a recall , only the tow bill if you have to have it towed. in the recal the claim that the wires would actually melt their insulation off and ground to the column, causeing the ignition not to work. also it said this could cause a fire not noticable untill long after the whole column is destroyed. so my suggestion is check into the recalls and if it is recalled then get the wok done . like i said it is free for recall repairs.

badboy2451
08-18-2005, 11:16 PM
It might be good for yall to look into any recalls pontiac has had lately because i have a 96 that had problems starting and i found out that they had recalled the whole ignition system in the steering column and i had to go have it replaced. it cost nothing because it is a recall , only the tow bill if you have to have it towed. in the recal the claim that the wires would actually melt their insulation off and ground to the column, causeing the ignition not to work. also it said this could cause a fire not noticable untill long after the whole column is destroyed. so my suggestion is check into the recalls and if it is recalled then get the wok done . like i said it is free for recall repairs.

highly doubtful...the cars are made like this

brsexton
08-19-2005, 03:45 AM
It realy has nothing to do with the passlock system. If the passlock were enabled, it would not start at all until you left the key in the ON positioin for 10 mins. Plus the security light would be blinking. It seems this starting issues only affects the 3400's. There is a TSB for long and hard starts (.Multiple Driveability Symptoms Due to Clogged Fuel Injectors (Clean Injectors) #03-06-04-030A - (Jun 24, 2004) So you guys may want to have that done. Plus its always good to have your fuel filter replaced every 20-30k miles.

Roush GT
08-19-2005, 05:01 AM
sometimes my security light comes on while driving.. anyone else have this happen?

Panacea
08-19-2005, 05:22 AM
Security light could mean a lot of things. Common cause seems to be the ignitian cylinder going bad. Or if you use a spare key that you got done at a hardware store it can sometimes cause the system to think it's a bad key.

As for the starting, it sounds like a case of impatience. As I stated before, if the original poster puts the key into the "On" position for 3-5 seconds before he attpemts to start it, I'm sure it'll be fine.

mcgrady
08-19-2005, 07:27 AM

The ignition system recalled in the older GA's is different than what they use in the 99+ models.

By the way, in that recall, all they do is wire in a resistor in the ignition that prevents high voltage from entering it. Without the recall performed, if you left the key in the on position without starting the car, you could cause a fire. Cars this actually occured with are very few in number.

The extended crank also happens with my 02 now and again. Normally it turns over right sway but sometimes there is a two or three second delay with the engine cranking before it catches. It's nothing to worry about.

wildlifeman
08-20-2005, 09:21 PM
I had the same problem on my 01 GT, it started slow (cranking for 5-10 sec), then burned up fuel pump, because of the clogged fuel filter (taking long time to pressurize the system) giving me a $650 headache. Change the filter at 25k. Have your system pressure tested to see if that is the problem.

rocketfast123
08-21-2005, 04:11 PM
sometimes my security light comes on while driving.. anyone else have this happen?

My does that once in a blue moon, becuase i have a bad switch. I can pull the key out when the car is running.

Pontiac GIRL
09-04-2005, 05:56 AM
I am having problems with my car starting. Everything turns on just hear a clicking sound and nothing. What could it be? HELP!!! I do not have a owners manual.

Mike Jung
09-04-2005, 08:42 AM
I am having problems with my car starting. Everything turns on just hear a clicking sound and nothing. What could it be? HELP!!! I do not have a owners manual.
I'm guessing dead/low car battery (?).

GAGT7386
09-04-2005, 09:43 AM
sorry slighty off topic but how much does it cost to have your fuel injectors cleaned?