Does this constitute an OIL CHANGE? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Does this constitute an OIL CHANGE?

BadGT471
08-19-2005, 12:42 PM
I have an 02 GAGT coupe... Well, today i went to put some windshield washer fluid in the car and I noticed that on the side of the engine there is like an oil stain. it's on both sides... I checked the oil, and opened the cap and it doesn't look like a milkshake in there. I also checked the dip stick and the oil level is full. My question is, where is this coming from? Does this happen to engines, or am I leaking oil somewhere? I have 44K miles on it... Any help would be appreciated..

Jeff

atc3434
08-19-2005, 12:47 PM
Sounds like fairly normal seepage to me. If your not lossing fluid, and coolant and oil arn't getting mixed, your probably ok on the LIM gaskets, and its just normal seepage. Over time, a little bit of oil will work its was out past the gaskets, and you'll see just what you described. Nothing to worry about.

02andahalfgt
08-19-2005, 12:50 PM
When you say 'oil stain', does it look like it's been there awhile? Could have spilled the last time you had an oil change (if it's in that area?). If the levels look good now just keep an eye on it for the next few days and if the oil still looks good I wouldn't worry too much.

BadGT471
08-20-2005, 01:38 AM
It's definitely an oil stain.... And it's on the side of the the part where you put the oil in... The part that the oil cap is on. I am sorry, I don't know what you call that.... It's on both sides of it though, but primarily on the right side when you're looking at the engine from the front of the car. My oil level seems fine though, and when I open the oil cap, the oil looks clean and I don't see any gunky white stuff...... I'll have it looked at when I get another oil change... However, can I take simple green and spray it on that oil stain then hose it off? Will that get rid of it?

Jeff

02andahalfgt
08-20-2005, 08:09 AM
Since the stain is by the filler for the oil then I'd go with what I said before, probably just a little spill from an earlier oil change that wasn't wiped up. Any kind of engine cleaner/degreaser should clean that right up for you.

freakydeaky
08-20-2005, 10:19 AM
It's definitely an oil stain.... And it's on the side of the the part where you put the oil in... The part that the oil cap is on. I am sorry, I don't know what you call that.... It's on both sides of it though, but primarily on the right side when you're looking at the engine from the front of the car. My oil level seems fine though, and when I open the oil cap, the oil looks clean and I don't see any gunky white stuff...... I'll have it looked at when I get another oil change... However, can I take simple green and spray it on that oil stain then hose it off? Will that get rid of it?

Jeff

use Gunk engine cleaner
gunk (http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp?part=UMI-50201)