CV Joint Boot ripped, grinding can be heard [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : CV Joint Boot ripped, grinding can be heard

5-lO
08-26-2005, 09:12 AM
Some of you may have already seen my thread about my POS Grand Am that I am gettting rid of. Now a problem arises.

I knew that the CV Joint boot was ripped, and the shop said I could go for a little while before it was a major issue. I figured I would just get rid of the car like that, because, frankly, I cant justify putting any more money into that car.

The problem? Already one day later after the tear/rip was discovered, grinding can be heard. At low speeds < 5 - 10 mph and on rough roads, a terrible grinding can be heard and I would assume that is the actual joint itself. Dirt and dust and sand and sh!t has all gotten into the joint knuckle and is causing it to make a noise.

Question: Its $90 to get the boot replaced, should I just say fock it and get it done? If not, how long can I last? I know that if the joint gets to a certain point, it will basically seize up and render the car innoperable. I cant have that, especially since I beleive a new drive shaft (which is what I think I would have to buy, no?) is like $300.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Ant
08-26-2005, 09:19 AM
not on warranty anymore I suppose?

either way, get it fixed. you'll get alot more than 90 bucks extra for the car if you get it fixed.

coupe
08-26-2005, 09:19 AM
$90 parts and labor?

5-lO
08-26-2005, 09:25 AM
$90 parts and labor?

I beleive that is what I was quoted I said "What is this going to cost me for you to fix" he said "On average, about $90"

Edit: Yes, no warranty, 39k miles

coupe
08-26-2005, 09:28 AM
If its that cheap then its an easy fix most likely you can do yourself.

Ant
08-26-2005, 09:32 AM
Edit: Yes, no warranty, 39k miles

ouch.

think though....a busted shaft/joint will probably drop a few hundred bucks off the value of the car....just get it fixed.

5-lO
08-26-2005, 09:32 AM
If its that cheap then its an easy fix most likely you can do yourself.

One thing that I dont trust myself doing, as its a really critical peice. Plus I would definately need a lift, you have to detach the hub and joint from each other, its a lot of work. I have already replaced the whole drive shaft before on some old POS, its not a fun job.

coupe
08-26-2005, 10:48 AM
Funny they would only charge $90 then.

praasch
08-26-2005, 12:39 PM
cv boot on my wife's rodeo ran like close to $300 IIRC...but then again that had 4 wheel drive to disassemble...so yeah, $90 seems a little cheap...but i'd get it fixed before it trashes more stuff....

mcgrady
08-26-2005, 05:50 PM
If that noise is actually the shaft, replacing the boot isn't going to take it away.

Usually CV axles will make a click-click sound when turning when the joint is bad. I've never had one in the shop that would "grind."

5-lO
08-27-2005, 02:16 AM
It is not when turning, its only at slow speeds, I think it is becuase all of the grease has come out. Its going in to be fixed on Monday, I dont want to drop the money (im planning on $150) but its a necassary evil.

digitalballz
08-27-2005, 05:47 AM
yeah most axles are click click noise when turning. No way you can replace just the boot. Besides replacing the axle your only real option as far as im concerned would be to have it rebuilt. But that is probly just as expensive.

5-lO
08-27-2005, 10:05 AM
The shop told me (and the guy at the place is very well known for good work, and Ive seen lots of good work come out of it) that the boot itself is replaceable.

Unless your saying that axle is already focked, and I sincerely hope that isnt the case :(

digitalballz
08-27-2005, 02:13 PM
i know at my shop we NEVER replace just the boot.

5-lO
08-27-2005, 02:15 PM
They just told me that the boot is replaceable. Its not completely seperated, there is just a small rip in the boot that is releasing the grease inside.

Seeing that I will be getting rid of the car soon, even if this is only the "quick fix" thats fine, just as long as I keep the car from getting totally effed up within the next month or two.

action
08-29-2005, 09:19 AM
You should never let a torn CV boot go for awhile, not only is the grease comming out, more importantly water, dust and sand is getting in there and ruining the joint, which is likely the sound your hearing. Left long enough the sand will rapidly wear the joint to the point that it fails. Then your $90 boot replacement job shoots to hundreds for a new 1/2 shaft.

When replacing the boot its very important to take apart the CV joint and clean the old grease, water and dirt out. Also a good time to check for free play. This has to be surgically clean, the new boot will come with a packet of grease to put in, be sure to use it all.