Need New Battery? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Need New Battery?

Rich
08-27-2005, 05:58 AM
i did a quick search and didnt find what i was looking for. this morning when i was getting ready to go home from work i hit unlock on the keypad and the doors unlocked. i get inside my car, put the key in, turn it, and nothing. no lights or click. so i get a jump and all is well. lately ive noticed my headlights flickering more when i hit the brakes or stuff like that. my cd player said "error" when i drove in to work last night and didnt work at all. i dont know if that matters, and its working fine now. basically i just want to know if i need a new battery or if this was just kind of a one time thing. if i do need a new battery, how long can i wait until i get a new one. if it needs a new battery ill just get a red top and not worry about it. i just dont want to deal with it. thanks in advance.

my car is an 01 with the 2.4, 51000 miles

freakydeaky
08-27-2005, 07:03 AM
imo it's definately the battery.... i would change it now before it leaves you stranded somewhere.... and by the way, the optima red top is a great battery, but pricey and well worth it... this is the best priced one i could find by quickly searching the net... optima (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Optima-Group-25-Red-Top-Cars-Trucks-SUV_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33574QQitemZ7972789 694QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V) ... they do want $21 for shipping, which makes it equal out with the retail stores... you can get them around here at advance auto parts for $105, everyday.

Mike Jung
08-28-2005, 08:22 AM
...if i do need a new battery, how long can i wait until i get a new one.
if it needs a new battery ill just get a red top and not worry about it.
i just dont want to deal with it...

my car is an 01 with the 2.4, 51000 miles
If it is your battery being the problem:
DON'T wait to get a new battery !

You WILL eventually kill your alternator !

If the battery is always low or no good:
The alternator will always be trying to charge it & will burn out.

Don't forget to fully re-charge the new car battery, before using.
To take some of the strain off of the alternator, when you first put the battery in.
New car batteries sitting on the shelves drain down while sitting.
& alternators are not meant to re-charge a weak or low battery; just meant to keep a good charged battery topped up after being used to start the car & when it was used for power when the alternator was not meeting the load requirements (like when stopped idling in traffic with the AC on).

fraws
08-28-2005, 08:26 AM
Mega-Tron Plus - 72 Months - 700 CCAmps

Battery / Batteries Name...
Mega-Tron Plus - 72 Months - 700 CCAmps

Battery / Batteries Part #: MTP-75

Battery / Batteries Description...
This is one of the most powerful batteries in the industry. With Silver Calcium alloy, it has 22% more life! With up to 800 cold cranking amps and a guaranteed warranty, this battery will fit your passenger car needs.

Battery Product Specifications

Weight: 35.00 pounds
Length: 9.00 inches
Width: 7 1/4 inches
Height: 7 5/8 inches
Cranking Amps: 875.00
Cold Cranking Amps: 700.00
Voltage: 12.00

http://www.crankit.com/Batteries/Products/Product_MTP-75.htm

:winner: (highly recommend...!) :winner:

Mike Jung
08-28-2005, 08:34 AM
Yes, Interstate car batteries are also good;
if you don't want a AGM type battery like Optima RedTop.

dcb2001gt
08-28-2005, 09:04 AM
Optima made by Johnson Controls are the best batteries around. They do not lose charge even after a year of sitting on the shelf. Don't fool around with imitators, I know I work for Johnson controls and enjoy getting the Optima's for $65 dollars no matter what plus 15 dollars shipping. I am allowed to get two per year.

Rich
09-01-2005, 02:20 PM
thanks for the info guys. i just wanted to make sure it was my battery before i did anything. today was the first day i could get to it, and when i left my house my radio said error again so i figured i better get to autozone pretty quick. sure enough after i got there i tried starting it and it was dead. so i got my red top and im happy. thanks again.

Hodge
09-01-2005, 02:34 PM
the red top is nice :thumbs:

I got the bigger one and had to cut out the tray a little bit, but I love being able to not worry about playing music while i work on it. Plus my lights don't dim at night when the bass is pounding :)

Rich
09-01-2005, 02:45 PM
i got the smaller one because the guy said that would fit my car *shrug* im looking forward to my lights not dimming when i hit the brakes tonight. heh.

DevilSlayer
09-01-2005, 07:32 PM
While were talking about dimming, I have a Optima Red Top, but the interior backlights (dashconsole and factory stereo) always dim when RPM's drop below ~1000 RPM. I just got the red top in May, and the alternator was replaced last November. This has always happened since I bought the car at 55k miles, and now has 88k. Just curious to see if this is normal.

Ajaxus
09-01-2005, 07:47 PM
um, for the first post, not the last one. check for corrosion first. alot of people ALWAYS overlook that. if there isnt any, then proceed to replace the battery.

Rich
09-01-2005, 07:52 PM
it looked pretty corosion free to me. regardless, i have the new battery and am not worried about it anymore.

Ajaxus
09-02-2005, 09:34 AM
i need to take a picture of my battery tonight when im working on my car. my mechanic put some sort of clamp or something on it so the terminals dont corrode anymore. cause last time they corroded, the terminals fell right off. so they decided preventing corrosion was a good way to go this time around, lol.