View Full Version : YAY!....my car won't start

Tuckie
08-29-2005, 07:23 PM
To start things off:
I own a 2002 grand am, bought it used little under a year ago
It now has about 63000 miles
3 weeks ago I installed my own remote start
Battery voltage is fine
During crank all devices perform as usual.

So, two days ago I was driving down the road, and my power steering went out with everything else fine (radio, lights, breaks, etc). I pulled off to the side of the road, shut off the car, and restarted it---Worked fine with no other reoccurances of this or degredation in ease of turning.

Today, I went to start the car, it cranked fine, but did not start. Tried again, no go, and again, it worked perfectly. Thinking everything was dandy I went on my way, only to have the same thing happen later in the day. When I went to check on the car to se what was up, It wouldn't start at all; it would crank over all fine and dandy, but no start.

Would installing the remote start have anything to do with this? The only wire that has any real life effect on performance would be the starter kill, but i have checked that wire by shorting the wires where they would enter the relay unit. I have yet to remove the electrical tape where it connects to the original wire, but I do not see any issues with the connection.

Thanks all in advance for any input

Mike Jung
08-29-2005, 07:37 PM
Check your Passlock II bypass connections for the remote starter.
(You did put a GM Passlock II Bypass module in :rolleyes: )

When you say your car would only crank, but not start.
Did you mean with the remote or with the key ?

GaRedCoupe
08-29-2005, 07:44 PM
Im pretty sure it won't start period.

Tuckie
08-29-2005, 08:01 PM
if the passlock unit was malfunctioning would it even allow it to crank? also wouldnt it pop up a security light?

ps, same prob with either key or key fob

Mike Jung
08-29-2005, 08:07 PM
if the passlock unit was malfunctioning would it even allow it to crank? also wouldnt it pop up a security light?...
Yes, if the Passlock bypass was malfunctioning.
It would allow for cranking of the starter; but no fuel.

The security light should be flashing, but stranger things have happened with electronics.

Tuckie
08-29-2005, 08:15 PM
isnt the paslock module programed by grabbing the r value when you start the car using a key? So how could it cause an issue? I will take a stab at removing it when I get a chance.

GAGT7386
08-29-2005, 09:39 PM
as soon as i had my remote start installed on my 01, the same problem started. it has been into the dealer about six times and everytime they couldn't find anything wrong. all they would tell me is to take out the remote start. so when it happens i have to wait 10 min. to start my car ... pita ... but u'll get used to it

lastryghts
08-29-2005, 11:49 PM
isnt the paslock module programed by grabbing the r value when you start the car using a key? So how could it cause an issue? I will take a stab at removing it when I get a chance.

Yes the passlock reads the resistance accross the key. That is why we need a passlock modual when we install a remote start. The modual feeds the passlock system the same resisted value when the remote start is used. If the modual is malfuntioning it would be like tring to start the car without the right resistance key.

Graxall
08-30-2005, 07:30 AM
all i know is that i questioned my local audio/secrurity/mod store that i get all my stuff done at an he just shook his head and goes "you dont wanan go there trust me, theres so much sh!t ide have to do that i dont even wanan take that much money from you brother" i was like ok thats fine how bout thme subs in the back hah

sc02grandam
08-30-2005, 08:39 AM
Yes, if the Passlock bypass was malfunctioning.
It would allow for cranking of the starter; but no fuel.

The security light should be flashing, but stranger things have happened with electronics.

in my ga.. if passlock is active.. the engine wont crank for me and the security light will flash

by the way... when was the last time you changed your fuel filter? a clogged fuel filter will gave the same symptoms as you've described

Tuckie
08-31-2005, 05:59 AM
well...never, i bought the car used with 61,000 miles on it

Tuckie
09-01-2005, 08:12 AM
well, i got it towed and taken to the mechanic; they said it was the fuel pump, and its going to cost 550 to fix w. a new filter as well. Is this a reasonable price?

GAGT7386
09-01-2005, 01:03 PM
before you pay go back to the sho and get your car! i was told by two different places that it was my fuel pump, so i went to the dealer and had it changed under a "warrenty" fix. car still has the same problem. if you can disconnect your remote start and try that for a few days see if there is a difference.

just to let you know, my car was in the dealer six different times for this problem and this is what they replaced :

- fuel pump
- fuel filter
- starter
- ignition cylinder
- they even messed with my bcm
- couple other things i dont even know what they do

still have the same dang problem, only happens like once a month but it is still annoying b/c it just happens at the wrong time

Lab Rat
09-01-2005, 04:02 PM
If the security light is on and it will crank but not start it IS the passlock. The module ( or some resister to mimic the r value ) is most likely the cause. I agree that you should disconnect the remote for a few days and see. If the prob goes away you have it figured out. Passlock is a b#$%^. But the problems can be overcome. Probably 80000 miles on mine and still working fine.

Tuckie
09-02-2005, 09:35 PM
got the pump switched and all is fine :)

Thanks to all for your help