Need Help!!! - Window Clips !!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!!! - Window Clips !!!

5-lO
08-30-2005, 10:23 AM
Ok so, Im just coming back from a walk with this girl and I have to move my car, she comes with.

... As I go park it where it is supposed to be, I roll the windows back up a and hear crack woosh. Wtf? Yeah well I look, and the WINDOW ISNT UP. I press the window button a few times, and the window isnt coming out of the door. GREAT.

After I take her back I come back to the car (mind you at 1:30am) and proceed to pull the door panel off. Those two white clips everyone talks about on the windows? Well from the look of it, apparently they are plastic, glued to the WINDOW, and then the window is actually pulled up by a wire line that is attatched to the window regulator. Otherwise known as FOCKING GHETTO SET UP.

Both of the clips on my window are disintigrated. Currently, I have the window pushed up and DUCTTAPED in place, so fockers dont steal anything. This is:
a) hard to clean off later
b) if the tape comes loose, window goes boom
c) bad for the plastic that its also attatched too

So I really need someone to tell me how to fix this, as I will NOT pay a dealership to fix it, and to have it break again. OH yeah, this is the FIFTH TIME This window has broken. HOW THE FOCK DOES THAT HAPPEN.

Ajaxus
08-30-2005, 10:37 AM
check the tsb's to see if there is one for this problem. because if there is then you dont have to pay the dealership for the repair. id do that before considering new parts or putting in your own time laboring over it.

Edit: #01-08-64-018D Front Door Window Glass Wont Roll Up or Out of Channel (Replace Guide) - (Oct 20, 2003)

That looks like it might be the one. The only other tsb is for the motor going which isnt your problem. I'd take that tsb to the dealer and see what you can do about it. :cheers:

5-lO
08-30-2005, 10:46 AM
Do TSBs work even without a warranty ?

Ajaxus
08-30-2005, 10:57 AM
hm, i think so. but im not positive, ask iceman since he made the index. my understanding is that a tsb is similar to a recall in that the manufacturer pays for the repair. its just not made public because it is for something that is a design flaw that is not a threat to drivers or passengers lives.

but i dont know how it applies to after warranty. sorry.

1hotgagt
08-30-2005, 11:28 AM
i had th same thing happen to me the clips are like 8 bucks a pop and you just have to pull the old ones off and slide the ones ones on tighten them down and put eveything back together and your windown should be fine what broke on it the other 5 times?

02andahalfgt
08-30-2005, 03:02 PM
*cough*lemon*cough*
Dude just leave the duct tape, it's fitting for how focked up your ride is.

5-lO
08-31-2005, 12:48 AM
Tighten them down? Fock that they are glued in place...

FOCK THIS CAR

SC/TGrandAm
08-31-2005, 02:08 AM
Wrong. A dealer is not obligated to fix a issue that has a TSB for free. What your thinking of is called a recall.

Ive had this happen like 10 times to me, you have to buy the clips from the parts department and remove the old ones and get some good holding glue and glue the new clips on. Actually I believe you can buy the glue they use from the parts department also.
Make sure you let the window set overnight to let the glue dry before you roll it back down.

Ajaxus
08-31-2005, 09:10 AM
then what the hell is the benefit of a tsb? :iconfused

5-lO
08-31-2005, 09:53 AM
Alright, well I will have a fun weekend with this one.

Kyle, any idea as to the cost of the parts?

SC/TGrandAm
08-31-2005, 03:49 PM
A TSB (technical service bulletin) basically just tells dealers/customers what problems are widespread and how to fix them.

Im not sure on the cost of parts Jon, Id say under 50 bones though.

onesexyga
08-31-2005, 04:26 PM
A dealship quoted me at 300 for parts alone. I went to a salvage yard, took them off myself, and got them free. Pretty easy repair. Hard part is getting the clip attached to the glass. Had to call in a favor from a body shop guy i know. Used the end of a tube of windshield sealer.

SC/TGrandAm
08-31-2005, 04:51 PM
300 dollars for 2 clips? They must be smoking the good stuff, you can buy a whole brand new window for less than that.

Ajaxus
08-31-2005, 05:32 PM
is there an extra zero in that quote? or did you accidentally go to a dodge dealer?

ryanbgb22
11-13-2006, 02:19 PM
So if my window falls into the door, and i can hear the motor spinning but it doesnt do anything, is this most likly my problem?

White99GAGT
11-13-2006, 02:29 PM
So if my window falls into the door, and i can hear the motor spinning but it doesnt do anything, is this most likly my problem?

Most likely yes, the clips are plastic and tend to break. I had the same problem when I bought my GT, the previous owner no longer wanted to mess with the car so I was able to get it for a 1/3 of the book value. After some researching on here, I found out it was the window regulator and replaced it from one off of ebay for like $100. This was before I found out you could just replace the plastic clips for like $8 bucks. Just pull the door panel off, just a couple of screws and look into the door. I will see if I can find out the write up I used.

you can use this link to get the door panel off. You can see the clips on page 5. Fawk this is an old thread.
http://www.a1electric.com/grandam.htm