Horn doesnt chip with remote lock, starter sluggish, help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Horn doesnt chip with remote lock, starter sluggish, help

tysix
08-31-2005, 12:46 PM
Here's the scenario, i went out to my car to start it 10 min after i had just parked it and the battery was completely dead. after jumping, the car started up but since then, the starter has been running sluggish. the battery is showing 14v so this may indicate that the alternator is ok. however, ive been given a few different opinions. in addition, the horn chirp when the remote entry is locked does not work, it just clicks from under the hood. all of the fuses and relays were checked. here is what it could be: battery, starter, alternator but if anyone has shared a similar experiance, i could use the help.

Mike Jung
08-31-2005, 12:57 PM
Check the battery (& the battery connections) 1st, & then move onto the Alternator.

But if the battery is no good, & you have been driving a long time like that.
You will need a new alternator too.

or if your alternator was fried 1st.
It killed your battery.

But I am guessing battery.

Chemboy
08-31-2005, 12:59 PM
The horn does not chrip because the door is closed when you hit the lock button. If you were to hit the lock button on the remote while the drivers side door is open and then close the door you will hear the chrip after a few seconds. At least that is how mine is because I have an aftermarket keyless entry with remote start.

Mike Jung
08-31-2005, 01:55 PM
...At least that is how mine is because I have an aftermarket keyless entry with remote start.
And how will this this help him with a stock keyless entry :rolleyes:

tysix
08-31-2005, 02:03 PM
yeah...note that it is stock, i also forget to say that it does, in fact, work sometimes. if it rains or if i just get of the express way, it will work. but ill come out 10 min later and it doesnt work. thanks for the quick replies!

Chemboy
08-31-2005, 07:37 PM
And how will this this help him with a stock keyless entry :rolleyes:

Well he did not say it was stock before. I was just share a little bit of information snice my car does the same thing he described. :hammer:

videoman
06-18-2007, 05:00 PM
I am sorry to renew such an old thread, but I have searched to no avail and done the usual checks ( fuses, horn cable plug ect. ) I seem to be having a similar issue.
When I attempt to lock my door with the remote the horn will either not chirp or will do so very weak. Yet when I push on the horn switch on the steering wheel, it will sound out , np. I have checked the fuses and removed the passenger light to see that the wiring was plugged in and had no damage to the wires. I have even tried switching the feature off then on again ( holding unlock down for 10 sec's from inside the car )

Any other ideas?

BTW my battery tests fine and I have no issues at all starting the car. Voltage levels are ok.

cardude007617
06-18-2007, 05:22 PM
does the keyless entry work tho? like does it lock/unlock the car? if not then id check the battery in the remote

videoman
06-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Oh yeah, both the un lock and lock features work fine with the remote. The lights will also flick on/off as well. Its just the mild chirp of the horn that doesn't work all the time ( at least with the remote ).

videoman
08-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Just touching back on this older thread.

The issue I had before was fixed. I cut the stock ground wire and grounded it on the body and found it worked for a while. ( about 1 year later) Now I am having the same issue as before and the only thing I can think or is perhaps lime buildup on the ground wire. I am saying this because the horn started to get weak then only the high pitch would respond, then nothing.

I am going to take my multimeter out this weekend and measure whether I am getting current or have a fault in the ground cable.

Even though I already have a diffrent horn ( 200PSI Air horn ), I would still like to have my stock horn working just in case I don't need to blare 140DB's at someone.

Anyone have any other ideas, they would be appreciated.