CD player hookup Question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : CD player hookup Question

snowaholic
09-01-2005, 03:04 PM
hi i just bought a new cd/mp3 player for my car and im about to install it. i know how to install everything except i never know where the wire is for the ignition.
its the wire you connect to the ignition so when your car turns on it turns the cd player on with it. if any one knows where this is located or have a picture of where this is located i would appreciate it a lot. thank you
also im installing it into a 97 grand am gt 2dr
-thanks
luke

badboy2451
09-01-2005, 03:06 PM
there is no wire thatt goes directly to the ignition, you need to buy a wiring harness for your cars year, which attaches to the one that is already in ur car then match them up with ur cd players, each are color coordinated and should be labeled with what the main wires are

snowaholic
09-01-2005, 03:08 PM
there is no wire thatt goes directly to the ignition, you need to buy a wiring harness for your cars year, which attaches to the one that is already in ur car then match them up with ur cd players, each are color coordinated and should be labeled with what the main wires are

well i installed a cd player in my last car but i just hooked it up to a switch instead of the ignition. do you recommend this or is it bad for the cd playeR?

00SilverGA
09-02-2005, 11:05 PM
If I were you I would do excatly what Zac said. I have done this in my 2000 GA and I used a wire harness. I think it is the easiest and best thing to do!

MantaGreen97
09-03-2005, 09:00 AM
well i installed a cd player in my last car but i just hooked it up to a switch instead of the ignition. do you recommend this or is it bad for the cd playeR?

No it isn't bad for the head unit, it is just kind of a pain/inconvenience. However I will third the recommendation to use a harness--they're only about $5-10 and they will make it much easier and not require cutting the factory harness (in case you ever need to reinstall the factory stereo).