Rear brakes locked [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rear brakes locked

cwheeler
09-03-2005, 03:19 PM
my car has been sitting for almost 3 months, i have moved it twice in those months to wash it, now i am trying to move the car b/c i have it back on the road and my rear wheels are locked. I put it in reverse and gae it some gas and the passanger side came free but the drivers side rear is still locked. it actually dragged the tired a few.
Any ideas on how to fix this??

thanks

-Christian

2K2GAGT1BQE
09-03-2005, 03:24 PM
did you have the emergency brake on while it sat there? I would guess it maybe rusted... dunno about this one.. maybe jack that wheel off the ground, and remove the wheel to see what's going on with it.

digitalballz
09-03-2005, 03:31 PM
take the caliper off, and try to free up the sliders. If they dont free up then you my friend most likely need a caliper.

cwheeler
09-03-2005, 03:50 PM
Ya i had the emergency brake up, just habbit :(

MantaGreen97
09-03-2005, 06:31 PM
take the caliper off, and try to free up the sliders. If they dont free up then you my friend most likely need a caliper.

Says he has a 2003 SE though, which would have drums at the back no?

If it does have drums at the back, and you can't get it free by driving in either direction, jack up the car on that side and remove the wheel (with the handbrake released) and then use a mallet to tap the drum a bit (the same way you'd do if you were trying to remove a drum that didn't come off easy). Don't bang too hard, and use a rubber mallet to prevent deforming the drum... I'd say that should do it.

If you get it free be sure to do some firm braking in reverse to make sure the self adjusters are still moving and that it doesn't stick again. If it is bad enough that it sticks again, you might want to raise the rear axle and remove the drums and check out the condition of the return springs; but if it was only 3 months I think you should be okay.

tenspeed
09-03-2005, 06:37 PM
Make sure the Ebrake cable slides in the sheath. It could be frozen holding the shoes onto the drum.

cwheeler
09-03-2005, 07:15 PM
thanks, is there a way anyone can get a picture underneath and point out which cable is the e-brake?

thanks for all the info
-chrisitan

tenspeed
09-04-2005, 08:56 AM
It comes from the center of the car and goes to both wheels. You also have a rubber brake fluid line and a couple of wires for the ABS wheel sensor.

Jack the car up and mark where the cables go into the sheath with the Ebrake off. Pull the Ebrake handle and check the cable again. If the mark moves toward the center, then the cable is free. If it stays in the same place, it's stuck.

It might be easier if you have someone else pulling the Ebrake while you watch so you can see it move. Be careful if you have someone leaning in or getting in or out when the car is up on jack stands.

You can see the cable in this picture. It's the gray line on the rear of the axle.

http://teamgi.invisionzone.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=35

cwheeler
09-04-2005, 03:35 PM
well i went under the car and tapped it with a small hammer and put it in reverse and it was stuck then put it in drive and it went free.

thanks for the picture, helped a lot!

So thanks to the the advice, much appreciated!!!
-Christian