94 GT won't move when first started! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 94 GT won't move when first started!

docprego
09-03-2005, 07:39 PM
I left my 94 GT sitting in the garage over the summer here in very hot Las Vegas. Started it up about once a month and took it for a spin around the block. Everything was fine until the most recent time that I tried this on the third month that it had been undriven. The car starts right up and seems to be running normally. BUT when I put it into ANY gear it does not move at all! So I turned the car off and re-started it and same problem. Finally on about the 4th or 5th start the car will go into gear and feels totally normal. What could be causing this? I have never checked the transmission fluid but I suspect that this may be the advice I am given. How do I do this and what other things may be causing this?

Thanks.

docprego
09-03-2005, 08:29 PM
Just checked the tranny fluid and the level seemed normal, it was well above the cross hatched area. After following the procedure to the letter in the book which took about 7-8 minutes with the car running, it went into gear fine after that. The car did NOT go into gear right when I started it for the tranny fluid check 7-8 minutes earlier.

docprego

docprego
09-18-2005, 04:00 PM
Follow up: today I started it and left it in gear. It happened to be reverse. After about 2-3 minutes the car just started to move, you could feel the gear take hold and then everything was normal after that.

What could this be?