Gatorback and Pulley squeak [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Gatorback and Pulley squeak

puckyou
09-05-2005, 03:22 PM
I changed my belt to a gatorback awhile ago due to the old belt squeaking. Not soon after I started to hear another squeak that was silent at idle but got louder with RPM's 1500 and above. So I searched and found that several tensioner pulleys and idle pulleys have went bad. So I have changed all my pulleys and the squeak went away for a day but now is back. I don't think it is the water pump or power steering pulleys.

I am lost and this is getting on my nerves.............any idea's??? :taz:

customcarsff
09-06-2005, 11:08 AM
i'm actually going through the same thing. cant figure it out ether.

NorKoastal
09-06-2005, 12:09 PM
AC clutch ???? Spra the front with white lithium grease.

puckyou
09-06-2005, 01:07 PM
sounds like it is coming from the back, but sounds can be deceiving when they echo around the engine bay.

H.O. Driver
09-06-2005, 01:14 PM
does it have a metalic sound to it? Like metal banging on metal gently?

puckyou
09-06-2005, 03:32 PM
does it have a metalic sound to it? Like metal banging on metal gently?

kind of, sounds like bad bearings. What idea do you have?

digitalballz
09-06-2005, 05:01 PM
do you have a mechanics stethoscope?? If you do, or know someone who does you can stick it on each pulley and listen for noises.

H.O. Driver
09-06-2005, 09:15 PM
My AC compressor has been making some weird noise like that, but once its on, it goes away, and I can't hear at idle, only when cruising 1500-2000rpms.

puckyou
09-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Mine makes no difference, ac on or off, still squeaks......

NorKoastal
09-30-2005, 01:19 PM
Just got this noise... Its a faint noise that only starts after a couple minutes of driving.. Its very faint but its louder in parking lots or any other barrier that reflects the noise. Definatly metal to metal... Almost right on the accessory belt...

Im about to take the car in thinking thats its most likely the AC Clutch only because when I start the car up on a cold day with the defroster I hear another new noise brewing up.. Since the AC is tied to the defroster system I think Ive pinpointed the source.

Any one else get this fixed??

MantaGreen97
09-30-2005, 06:57 PM
My AC compressor has been making some weird noise like that, but once its on, it goes away, and I can't hear at idle, only when cruising 1500-2000rpms.

^^That's likely an A/C clutch problem, the clutch isn't disengaging fully on your compressor. You should have the clutch replaced on it, should cost around $100 or so, including labour. It isn't really a common problem but it does happen sometimes. You shouldn't let it grind away like that though, because I can only see that more problems might occur, like compressor damage--which would be a much more expensive repair.

freeze12
09-30-2005, 08:56 PM
My 2.4 Alero started making noise from the Compressor as soon as I installed the Gatorback belt. Drive it a while so the belt stretchs some & the noise may go away like mine did.