Ever Hear of a Timing Chain Breaking [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Ever Hear of a Timing Chain Breaking

Mike Jung
09-07-2005, 12:50 PM
I was at my 'Tire Shop' getting my GA's front brakes done & Engine Coolant flushed & changed.

There was a '02 GA SE with a 2.2L Ecotec engine that broke it's timing chain while driving on the highway.
It only had like 120K km/74.5K miles on it.

It kinda makes me :nervous: hearing that; & my GA is older, but with less mileage & a 3.4L V6 engine.
My Dad's GM V6 engines have never broken a timing chain & he has run them 2-3x longer than that car that had one break.

Ever hear of a timing chain break ?
What would cause a timing chain break prematurely ?

coupe
09-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Ive never heard that happening to a 2.2L eco.

Malaclypse
09-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Timing chains do break... If its low mileage its probably a materials issue. However, with the ecotec the water pump is chain driven and that's quite a bit of load for the timing chain to be under when you consider both camshafts and a balance shaft IIRC.

Have I ever heard of a timing chain on a 60v6 breaking? No... not really.. I've heard of a stock camshaft twisting in half (see 60v6.com) but not a timing chain snapping.

Coop
09-07-2005, 01:24 PM
Sure it's not a timing belt? They're known to break.

Mike Jung
09-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Sure it's not a timing belt? They're known to break.
Yup, sure it is a Timing CHAIN.

digitalballz
09-07-2005, 05:05 PM
anything can break no matter what it is. A timing chain is much less likely to break than a timing belt (obviously).

Coop
09-07-2005, 05:45 PM
Yup, sure it is a Timing CHAIN.
Sheesh, you don't have to yell. I'm not familiar with the ecotech 4 bangers, I was merely asking a question since most 4-bangers I have worked on have BELTS.

SC/TGrandAm
09-07-2005, 05:59 PM
I have a friend that used to have a POS Ford Contour back in the day. The timing chain on that car broke twice, both breaks within a month of each other.... thats was just a very very small taste of the problems that car had...

mcgrady
09-07-2005, 06:06 PM
Sure timing chains break. The chain in my 96 Sunfire 2.4 LD9 broke on Xmas eve 1999. Ended up breaking almost all the valves. Needless to say, the engine was replaced not rebuilt.

I have seen a timing chain break in a 3100. Was a 98 GA with 420,000kms on it though. The 60 degree V6 is not an interference engine though. If the belt/chain breaks in just about any high revving dohc 4 cyl, it's game over.

Kappa06
09-07-2005, 06:27 PM
I've heard of timing chains breaking on the Corvette LS6. Happened to a friend while he was racing at Sebring.

Coop
09-07-2005, 06:33 PM
If the belt/chain breaks in just about any high revving dohc 4 cyl, it's game over.
The belt in my dad's eagle Talon TSi did that a couple years ago - pieces of the broken valves went through the turbo - did all kinds of damage. And he drove that car like an old man, literally.

freakydeaky
09-07-2005, 07:48 PM
I was at my 'Tire Shop' getting my GA's front brakes done & Engine Coolant flushed & changed.

There was a '02 GA SE with a 2.2L Ecotec engine that broke it's timing chain while driving on the highway.
It only had like 120K km/74.5K miles on it.

It kinda makes me :nervous: hearing that; & my GA is older, but with less mileage & a 3.4L V6 engine.
My Dad's GM V6 engines have never broken a timing chain & he has run them 2-3x longer than that car that had one break.

Ever hear of a timing chain break ?
What would cause a timing chain break prematurely ?

mike, timing chains break due to wear..... check this link, scroll done until you come across the timing chain section.... it will explain it better... http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/tech/0302hpp_buyerbeware/

MantaGreen97
09-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Is the Ecotec an interference engine?

D0M1N8R
09-10-2005, 04:40 AM
Sure timing chains break. The chain in my 96 Sunfire 2.4 LD9 broke on Xmas eve 1999. Ended up breaking almost all the valves. Needless to say, the engine was replaced not rebuilt.

I'm no pro but cant see any possible way for a timing chain to cause any sort of damage to valves..

tenspeed
09-10-2005, 06:53 AM
I'm no pro but cant see any possible way for a timing chain to cause any sort of damage to valves..

You are right, the timing chain can't damage the valves. The pistons going up and down damage the valves that are left in the open position because the timing chain isn't turning the cams.

D0M1N8R
09-10-2005, 06:55 AM
oh didnt think of that =\
I go climb under a rock and hide for a while.

MantaGreen97
09-10-2005, 05:10 PM
You are right, the timing chain can't damage the valves. The pistons going up and down damage the valves that are left in the open position because the timing chain isn't turning the cams.

Only in an "interference" engine though... In a non-interference engine the pistons would not hit the valves if they were open, but in an engine designed as an interference engine it would happen as above; that's why I asked if the Ecotec was or not.