Security Light [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Security Light

my02gt
09-07-2005, 03:57 PM
This came on about 2 months ago. I had it replaced along with a bad speed sensor. Now my security light has come on again. I am wondering if I have a viper system insalled, would it bypass my passlock sensor since I wouldn't be using passlock. I am just tired of dealing with this so i figured i would just rid myself of passlock.

freakydeaky
09-07-2005, 04:22 PM
this thread will help.... passlock bypass (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48307&highlight=disable+passlock)

my02gt
09-07-2005, 09:54 PM
if i did any of what is said, would i loose all of my keyless entry?

freakydeaky
09-08-2005, 07:43 AM
yes, i believe you will.... just upgrade the viper to the alarm/keyless entry system...

my02gt
09-08-2005, 08:33 AM
OK so why buy a bypass when i can just take it to an electronics store and have them intall the viper. Wouldnt the viper bypass it anyway?

Mike Jung
09-08-2005, 09:45 AM
this thread will help.... passlock bypass (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48307&highlight=disable+passlock)
if i did any of what is said, would i loose all of my keyless entry?
No, the Passlock II system is seperate from the keyless entry door locks.
It is used during the starting of the car.
...Wouldnt the viper bypass it anyway?
Why would a Viper alarm bypass the PassLock II system ?
Unless you get a model with a remote starter.

Lab Rat
09-08-2005, 10:13 AM
If they replaced it two months ago why not go back and have them fix it right? I also have that prob now. The security light comes on almost daily now for me. Always when I'm driving. I have had to do the passlock relearn one time this summer because it would not start. Anyway, I don't know what they replaced but I think the true fix is to replace the ignition key cylinder. As I understand that is about a 400 dollar repair at the dealer so unless you already paid 400 bucks then it was NOT replaced. And I also have a remote starter so I have bypassed the passlock system. But that is only for the remote start function and that works fine. But my security light still comes on so I need to replace the key cylinder. Hope I can do it for less than 400 bucks thou.

my02gt
09-08-2005, 11:21 AM
I live in So. Illinois. I had to drive to Indiana to get it fixed because my uncle knows the people at the dealership well and rhey covered it as if it were under warrant so I didnt pay anything. Basically what I want to know is what to do to bypass the security light and the having to wait 10 mins to start the car.

coupe
09-08-2005, 02:07 PM
Replace the ignition cylinder.....thats it.

my02gt
09-08-2005, 02:15 PM
and that is $400? So its cheaper to buy a new system right?

coupe
09-08-2005, 02:18 PM
You need a new ignition cylinder, period.
No it will not cost you $400. There is a thread on here with step by step instructions (with pics) on how to replace it yourself, its easy. You can do your own searching for that thread though.

Lab Rat
09-09-2005, 04:47 AM
I live in So. Illinois. I had to drive to Indiana to get it fixed because my uncle knows the people at the dealership well and rhey covered it as if it were under warrant so I didnt pay anything. Basically what I want to know is what to do to bypass the security light and the having to wait 10 mins to start the car.

OK, here we go. To get rid of the passlock, first go and buy a Haynes, Chiltons, or a shop manual cause I do not know all the wire colors. There is a wire connected to the ignition cylinder that talks to the PCM. With the motor cranking you can pull the Ohms reading with a VOM. Once you know that you can then go to radio shack and buy resisters of that same value. Some people have used variable resisters but I could not make those work. Anyway you can then disconnect the wire in question and reroute it through the resister at 12 volts and voila, the PCM thinks the ignition is giving the correct Ohms reading. BTW, I said "resisters" cause the PCM is very fussy about the correct reading and you may have to try more than one before the PCM is happy. You should also know that it took me two days to make the bypass work for the remote starter cause doing this is a real PITA. I just wanted to warn you. There may be other ways, (bypass module) but I have no experience with those. Good luck.

my02gt
09-09-2005, 06:56 AM
I think I will try the ignition cylinder because i still want the keyless entry. By the way, anyone know where I can find an ignition cylinder?

freakydeaky
09-09-2005, 07:36 AM
ignition cylinder (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php?carcode=1382509&parttype=10041)

my02gt
09-12-2005, 11:53 AM
So replacing the ignition cylinder will make my light shut off or do I have to reset it manually?

EDIT: Let me get this straight, if i buy the bypass module, and a new security system, would that take care of my security light issue as well instead of getting a new ignition cylinder?

Lab Rat
09-12-2005, 12:11 PM
So replacing the ignition cylinder will make my light shut off or do I have to reset it manually?

EDIT: Let me get this straight, if i buy the bypass module, and a new security system, would that take care of my security light issue as well instead of getting a new ignition cylinder?

Don't think so. If you want passlock and the security system you will need to replace the cylinder. Then put in the security system. (not sure you will need to bypass anything to put in security, only remote start.)