Wrong Computer??? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Wrong Computer???

Carlitoboy
09-09-2005, 10:16 AM
Good day all!
I've been recently inquiring about not being able to start my car; I'm a GA GT1 2001. The starter will crank but the engine won't fire up.

Possible issues I've read about:
1)Passlock system "Security Light" --> Possible
2)Ingnition cylinder. --> Dunno what this is
3)Fuel Pump/Filter --> Not the problem

Anyway, my mechanic checked out the car yesterday. Spent the WHOLE day testing all kinds of stuff; tried a new ignition module, camshaft module, this and that. He could not find the cause. He did find that sometimes there is spark, and then no spark...??? Regardless, he never got the car to fire up at all. He could only concude that it was a computer problem. We were thinking of getting it tested so he removed the computer and called the dealer to ask some questions before we sent it in for testing. He gave the GM service guy the serial number of the computer and my VIN... Guess what he told us. That serial number of the computer belongs to 1990 Buick Cutlas! We called another dealer service center who told us the computer belongs to a 2000 Oldmobile!

Is that not dekcuf up or WHAT!!

Another dealer mentioned that the computer is covered by warrantly up to 150,000 KM. I qualify for coverage so I may have some luck. But what I want to know is, what the heck is this computer doing in my car? Does this computer track mileage history? Is this why my gas mileage has always been questionabley low? Is this why my check engine light goes on 4 or 5 times a year and the code is missfire? I'm going to sue some ass man!

Is there something I should know? Is this normal for these cars to have these computers? What should I do???

Regards,

botlfed
09-09-2005, 11:40 AM
Good day all!
I've been recently inquiring about not being able to start my car; I'm a GA GT1 2001. The starter will crank but the engine won't fire up.

Anyway, my mechanic checked out the car yesterday. Spent the WHOLE day testing all kinds of stuff; tried a new ignition module, camshaft module, this and that. He could not find the cause. He did find that sometimes there is spark, and then no spark...??? Regardless, he never got the car to fire up at all. He could only concude that it was a computer problem. We were thinking of getting it tested so he removed the computer and called the dealer to ask some questions before we sent it in for testing. He gave the GM service guy the serial number of the computer and my VIN... Guess what he told us. That serial number of the computer belongs to 1990 Buick Cutlas! We called another dealer service center who told us the computer belongs to a 2000 Oldmobile!

Is that not dekcuf up or WHAT!!

Another dealer mentioned that the computer is covered by warrantly up to 150,000 KM. I qualify for coverage so I may have some luck. But what I want to know is, what the heck is this computer doing in my car? Does this computer track mileage history? Is this why my gas mileage has always been questionabley low? Is this why my check engine light goes on 4 or 5 times a year and the code is missfire? I'm going to sue some ass man!

Is there something I should know? Is this normal for these cars to have these computers? What should I do???

Regards,

your not going to sue anyone......

are you taking it to a GM service center......???? my bet is it is a simple fix, but your mechanic is a shmuck

coupe
09-09-2005, 12:08 PM
Your mechanic.......not very good at his job. PCM's dont go bad anyway, its not a moving part. 1990 buick dosent even have a PCM.

freakydeaky
09-09-2005, 01:40 PM
pcm's can go bad, and there are faulty pcm's.... i suggest just shelling out the cash, and carry it to your dealer and have them look at it.... your mechanic seems to be smoking something

coupe
09-09-2005, 02:39 PM
I have never heard of a PCM going "bad". I dont see how it could.

iceman
09-09-2005, 02:49 PM
*iagree* your mechanic is a shmuck, try someone else.

I have never heard of a PCM going "bad". I dont see how it could.

It's electronic, it can absolutely fail.. just like any computer or electronic component

coupe
09-09-2005, 02:54 PM
I guess

Malaclypse
09-10-2005, 12:39 AM
Ive replaced about 6 or 7 PCMs in 3 years. Most because of internal malfunctions on sensor monitoring circuits or there's also a specific code that sets when the PCM doesn't think its acting right. The diag chart for that code tells you to replace the PCM.

Your mechanic doesn't know what he's doing. Take it to the dealer man. They usually have a better idea of what's going on. (Usually: Varies widely)

MantaGreen97
09-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Good day all!

If the PCM/BCM (or the IPC or the ignition lock cylinder) was replaced and the car cranks but does not run then it may be a PASSLOCK problem, the R-Code just has to be re-learned. However if you mean that the BCM wasn't replaced and you think the car somehow has a 1990 Buick ECM in there, I seriously doubt that. For one thing I'm pretty sure the OBD-II and OBD-I (what a 1990 Buick would have had) BCM/ECM connector harnesses would not even match up making such a cross-plug impossible. But even if it could be plugged in, there is no way that a 1990 computer would ever work in your car at all, meaning if the car was at some point running with the computer that is in there then it definitely does not have a 1990 Buick computer in there at all.

A 2000 Olds Alero BCM would probably work, provided it was for the same engine, but not one for a 1990 Buick. By the way there is no such thing as a Buick Cutlass I don't think--the Cutlass (Ciera, Supreme, or just plain Cutlass) has always been an Oldsmobile nameplate.

Whether the BCM is your problem or not is another story, it does sound like you should have your car diagnosed elsewhere instead of haphazardly replacing components in hopes that something will get it to work again :rolleyes:

As everyone else said, take it elsewhere.

Carlitoboy
09-14-2005, 08:50 AM
Sup guys!

Thanks for all your replies and input!

I took it to the dealer like some of you suggested and it turns out that the computer is fine and it belongs to the car. Also, they didn't have a problem starting it to drive it into the garage... Go figure... When I tried to relearn / reset the security, it didn't work. Plus, it wasn't a flashing security light, it was a solid light. Either way it's obviously related to passlock. The reading the dealership got was about the Passlock.

Off the work order:

Complaint: Check Cause engine cranks over but wont start

Cause: Unable to duplicate concern, battery was drain and security code P1626 and B2960 was stored in history. Possible cause could be ignition lock cylinder failure

Correction: Perform system diagnostics and charge and check battery

So we drove the car home and changed the battery and she fires up no problem now... $400 dollars later (including new battery).

That's a nice kick in the sack ain't it? I'm gonna have to end my golf season early this year it seems... :mad: :bleep:

Anyway, you guys are so helpful that I think I'm going to drop mechanics alltogether and just stick with this forum! :balla:

Carlito