Abs Traction Control Problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Abs Traction Control Problems

nascarnate326
09-09-2005, 07:53 PM
So now on my problem free GA SE the traction control lite comes on and the Abs lite comes on. I can spin tires from a stand still and abs dosent work on gravel. Could this be a front hub with a sensor, or has my abs system took a crap. I didnt see any other posts but I may be wrong. I had a mechanic quote me 1500 dollars to have it fixed because of contamated brake fluid. Isnt that a little much? Any help would be great.

pyro
09-09-2005, 08:24 PM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/search.php?searchid=456334
hmm, my search gave me 94 links in .37 seconds. :doh: and im sure you didnt look at every single one.

Mike Jung
09-09-2005, 08:26 PM
So now on my problem free GA SE the traction control lite comes on and the Abs lite comes on.
I can spin tires from a stand still and abs dosent work on gravel.
Could this be a front hub with a sensor, or has my abs system took a crap. I didnt see any other posts but I may be wrong.
I had a mechanic quote me 1500 dollars to have it fixed because of contamated brake fluid. Isnt that a little much?...
It could be a wheel speed sensor, which is part of the wheel hub & bearings assembly.
As to which wheel: you will have use a scantool it to find out.

$1500US seems ALOT!
(Hell, a LIM repair costs less usually.)

Why is your brake fluid contaminated ?
What are they replacing ?

There must more to this, for the estimate to be $1500US.

PS:
If the TRAC OFF light is on: Traction control (wheel spin) is dis-abled.
If the ABS light is on: ABS feature of the brakes is dis-abled.

freakydeaky
09-09-2005, 09:00 PM
i agree with mike, $1500 sounds like a rip off..... don't pay it

nascarnate326
09-10-2005, 05:05 AM
I only paid 4000 for the damn car. Its not a big deal but I dont have a 4x4 vehical anymore so in the snow abs would be nice. Thanks for actually trying to help me. That link dosent even work for me either. 1500 was to flush the brake fluid out and put more back in pressurized. I though 1500 was alot too, but lately who knows in our world.

Lab Rat
09-12-2005, 05:56 AM
You can buy the wheel bearings for 140 each at autozone. Timkins too. Break fluid will cost under ten bucks for a liter bottle. Now if you can do the work it's an afternoon job. BTW, if you have not checked the speed sensor wiring, do that. If it came unplugged that would be the cheapest repair yet. 0 dollars to plug it back in. lol. 1500 dollars is, IMO, way out of line.

brim
09-12-2005, 07:27 AM
You have Glutoniumite 5 in your brake fluid! It causes sever brake failure

hehe

DevilSlayer
09-12-2005, 05:41 PM
I have a similar problem, but the lights only come on when I make a sharp turn left or right. Before the trac off and ABS lights come on the Low Trac light comes on, even though my wheels aren't spinning, just turning the wheel lock to lock. Like pulling out of a parking space, I turn the wheel all the way to the left or right, Low Trac light comes on, the engine is choked until "traction is regained" then the ABS and trac off light come on.

atc3434
09-12-2005, 05:54 PM
First, find a new mechanic... thats an incredible rip... anybody that would even suggest that isn't worth talking to. Wheel speed sensor, cost me $200 to be replaced at a shop.

DevilSlayer
09-13-2005, 07:12 PM
At first I thought it was my transmission dying, but I thought about and knew that there would be much more problems if that was the case. Then I thought it may have been some kind of sensor problem, but I didn't know which one. Thanks for the info.

MantaGreen97
09-14-2005, 10:46 AM
It could be a wheel speed sensor, which is part of the wheel hub & bearings assembly.
As to which wheel: you will have use a scantool it to find out.

It could be anything, actually. There are probably like a good few dozen DTCs that are ABS and TC specific. Though it may be a wheel speed sensor it could also be a failure in one of the other dozens of parts involved in the ABS/ETS system. You could have a failed soleniod, failed motorpack, the EBCM may be faulty, wiring somewhere might be compromised--really it could be anything. It's just as likely that you have a problem somewhere else than it be a wheel speed sensor (unless these model GAs are known to have a problem with throwing wheel speed sensors).

The $1500 "estimate" is ludicrous as well, and using the "your brake fluid is contaminated" bit to try to justify the cost is also retarded. A brake fluid flush costs like what? $50-$100? Even if they had to flush it more than once to be sure all the "contamination" was out, that wouldn't justify adding anymore than $150 or so to the total repair (and even that is stretching it).

Since you got "estimate", did the mechanic actually run a scan diagnostic on the car? If he/she did, did they indicate what DTCs came up and what parts have to be replaced? Because simply saying $1500 and telling you you have contaminated brake fluid is total BS.

atc3434
09-14-2005, 12:00 PM
99% of GA's throw the ABS and TRAC OFF light due to a failed wheel bearing sensor. If it was strictly the ABS system, such as a motorpack or solenoid, the TRAC OFF light wouldn't have been thrown. Because both lights are on, it means that both systems are affected, they don't share much in common other than they need to know the speed of all the wheels. Its a pretty safe bet its a wheel speed sensor. Contaminated brake fluid is the sketchiest thing I've heard in a while!

MantaGreen97
09-14-2005, 04:20 PM
99% of GA's throw the ABS and TRAC OFF light due to a failed wheel bearing sensor. If it was strictly the ABS system, such as a motorpack or solenoid, the TRAC OFF light wouldn't have been thrown.

Oops, sorry. You're right, it pretty much has to be a wheel speed sensor or related wiring if both are on; unless of course there is another problem with the ABS in addition to the speed sensor, but that is unlikely.

nascarnate326
09-14-2005, 05:47 PM
I didnt let him touch my car. Im car stupid, though im trying to learn as much about them as possible. DevilSlayer, that is EXACTLY how mine started, to the tee. Ill find a new mechanic and have him change the wheel bearing sensor. He should be able to do a test to find out what one it is right? That way both arnt replaced if they dont need to be. This dosent sound as expensive as I orginaly thought. Thanks for everyones great information.

atc3434
09-14-2005, 10:49 PM
I didnt let him touch my car. Im car stupid, though im trying to learn as much about them as possible. DevilSlayer, that is EXACTLY how mine started, to the tee. Ill find a new mechanic and have him change the wheel bearing sensor. He should be able to do a test to find out what one it is right? That way both arnt replaced if they dont need to be. This dosent sound as expensive as I orginaly thought. Thanks for everyones great information.

Correct, a mechanic can use a scan tool to check the sensors to figure out which one is defective. Bearing plus labor shouldn't cost much more than $200.

nascarnate326
09-15-2005, 08:52 AM
Do you recommend a GM Goodwrench mechanic at a dealership, or a small shop mechanic?
Thanks alot Andrew

atc3434
09-15-2005, 10:06 AM
First, I never go with the dealer. The markup is insane. I have a really good small shop guy that'll do most of my work. Occasionally he'll tell me I'm better off going to x specialty shop (tranny, body, etc.) because they can do the same thing he would, at a better price. However, those small type shops that do major work are getting tough to find. I had expert tire change one of my wheel bearings because it was a weekend, I didn't have time, and my regular guy wasn't open. They did a good job, and the price was good as well. Like I said, you should be paying too much more than $200 with labor to get the work done. Part is like $140-$180 depending on brand, I go with the good stuff, might as well fix it once instead of over and over.

DevilSlayer
09-15-2005, 08:16 PM
I go to a this not small, but not very big shop in my area. Its a Gemini certified shop and they do really good work. If you don't bring your own fluids in, they use BG synthetic fluids anyway. They put on all my Powerslot rotors, all my Performance Friction brake pads, flushed my cooling system, changed wheel bearings, and they have all the best scanning and diagnostic tools. I whole heartedly recommened any Gemini shop, oh, their prices are quite good too (at least this shop).

nascarnate326
09-16-2005, 05:46 PM
A smaller shop I will find. Thanks alot everone, your all very smart when it comes to cars. Someday I will be in your leauge.

Mike Jung
09-16-2005, 05:53 PM
...Thanks alot everone, your all very smart when it comes to cars. Someday I will be in your leauge.
Either am/was I.

This is my first car.

Been hanging around here & reading since like '99 or '00.
You'll learn alot of stuff over time.

I have had my car since July '98.

nascarnate326
09-25-2005, 02:27 PM
So I was having a guy look at my abs breaks and he noticed so leaking oil. Looked into it further and I found out that I needed my intake gaskets changed. SO $800 dollars later I have new intake gaskets, fixed abs breaks, and a new power stearing pump. Hes gonna get rid of my day time running lites and install my angel's too. I felt like I got it all for a pretty good price.

97GT
09-27-2005, 10:52 AM
if i were you, i'll search as much as you can before deciding what to do. i had a problem with my other car, the dealer wanted 750 bucks so i had them do a test and check the car, they told me what was wrong and i went and got the parts and did it myself. thats only if you have any mechanical background. i dont but i can figure things out alone the way.

Lab Rat
09-27-2005, 11:32 AM
800 bucks these days does seem like a bargain sometimes. I have a 2.4 so no LIM/UIM problems for me but that waterpump cannot last forever. I am finding that most of the repairs can be done by a home mech and a little persistence. That 800 would go a long way towards a SC but that's another story.

Caputo777
03-27-2006, 08:12 AM
I just had my front wheel bearing assemblies replaced about 2 months ago and today my ABS and Traction Control lights triggered on...Luckily they gave me a one year warranty on the wheel bearing assemblies - you would think this would be covered then wouldn't you? It sounds like it's got to be a problem with the sensor on the assembly to me...

nascarnate326
03-27-2006, 08:16 AM
The sensor is what was wrong with mine. I had my tires/ breaks changed and the dumbass *forgot* there was a sensor. I was able to do without abs breaks for most of the summer but for winter, i wanted it fixed. Good luck, and thank you for searching.

Caputo777
03-27-2006, 10:40 AM
The sensor is what was wrong with mine. I had my tires/ breaks changed and the dumbass *forgot* there was a sensor. I was able to do without abs breaks for most of the summer but for winter, i wanted it fixed. Good luck, and thank you for searching.

Yeah I got my front brake pads and rotors replaced as well when I got the front wheel bearings done...maybe I have the same situation. Didn't kick in until now though for some reason...