Definite Power Steering Problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Definite Power Steering Problem

CrucialTK
09-11-2005, 08:21 PM
So, over two days I put nearly 500 miles on my car driving to a concert on the other side of the state. I park the car and all was well.

Get into today, and start it up. Start to pull away, notice a burning smell. Cut the wheel to park and I heard the groaning. Got into the spot, pop the hood, and power steering fluid is ALL over the inside of the engine compartment. I poured an entire bottle of fluid into a bone dry reservoir, and cleaned some fluid and rubber build up around the serpentine belt.

Anyone know what could be going on? Clearly something is wrong, and i tried searching for answers, but couldn't come up with anything definitive. I'm 100 miles away from my mechanic, so I'm a little worried about driving home to have it fixed.

Ajaxus
09-11-2005, 08:50 PM
is there a mechanic or a gm dealer anywhere near your current location?

CrucialTK
09-12-2005, 11:38 AM
Yeah, there is, but I know I'll get ****ed over just having them look at it. Being a student sucks.

Ajaxus
09-12-2005, 11:42 AM
true, let me check some stuff for you first.

Panacea
09-12-2005, 11:43 AM
uhhh a bad power steering pump?

If you don't want to take it to a dealership, take it to a mechanic, duh.

Ajaxus
09-12-2005, 11:46 AM
thats why i mentioned mechanic to him as well. im not finding anything on this exact problem but from my own experiences of blowing my power steering pump, thats my first guess. but if you want to save the money in the long run, i would recommend taking it in to somebody near where you currently are rather than risking more damage from driving it back home.

Panacea
09-12-2005, 11:48 AM
Meh, if it's a bad power steering pump you won't be able to damage it anymore than it already is.

CrucialTK
09-15-2005, 09:46 AM
Well, I'm thinking it could be a leaky resevoir because I can put in the fluid, and I've driven it about 50 miles since then, and there's no problem.

What further damage could be done. Also, do the 2001 GT's come with Variable Steering? I priced the pumps and the guy asked me. I'd never heard about it.

action
09-16-2005, 08:22 AM
Get a remanafactured one from your GM dealer...surprisingly its cheaper then most alternatives. Even if you have variable assist, you can reuse the variable assist valve from your existing pump...in fact there is a detailed instruction from the GM remanafacturered pump to do just this.

If you cant find one used...this is your best option.

CrucialTK
09-16-2005, 08:39 AM
I'm saying though, how do I know if my car has variable assist, and how much would either pump refurbd (one with VA, one w/o) cost me?

Panacea
09-16-2005, 08:46 AM
I'm saying though, how do I know if my car has variable assist, and how much would either pump refurbd (one with VA, one w/o) cost me?

Call the dealership and ask them if you have variable assist.

Mike Jung
09-16-2005, 06:34 PM
IIRC, All GA's this generation that have a 3.4L V6 engine have the variabe power steering assist feature.

It helps you turn the steering wheel easily during low speed driving.

So any GASE with the 3.4L V6 engine or GAGT (same engine) has it.

CrucialTK
09-18-2005, 04:18 PM
dammit, that ****s gonna run me like $200

1/2dolla
10-15-2005, 12:47 PM
sorry I just read this thread.

I notice that when these leak, the leak can be from the pullyshaft so If you put a finger through the PS pully to the shaft on the other side going into the reservoir, you will find ps fluid there if that is indeed where the leak is. you wont notice it unless you put a finger back there

If you had it replaced how did it go?
thanks

H.O. Driver
11-24-2006, 10:46 PM
Back up to the top.

My PS pump was squelling, so I check the resivoir and was low on fluid, filled it up and its been at the same level for 2 weeks now and every now and again I get a burning rubber smell in the car on warm up, once it gets over 140* it goes away. The pump won't squell either, just wondering if its the PS pump thats making the smell or what would cause it. The belt doesn't have any teeth missing so its not spinning any slower or forcing it to spin, not sure what to make of it, but its not loosing fluid anywhere.

nympaix
12-08-2006, 12:40 PM
is it typical for the power steering pump to go bad on the 2000 gts? i replaced mine a few years ago and now i have to replace it again. i have 112,000 on it now and i believe i replaced it at 60k or 70k.

how much does it cost to replace these typically (at a mechanic)...i was told i needed a new pump and surpentine belt
;crap ;crap ;crap

stangdude
12-08-2006, 02:09 PM
My 02 had the PS pump start leaking at 35k miles, had them change it out before the warranty expired and screwed me with the bill.