LIM Gasket [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : LIM Gasket

StephenM
09-12-2005, 09:10 AM
Hey guys,

I've got a question that I didn't see explained very well on the boards. My low coolant light has been coming on for over a year now, I'll fill it up once a month or so. I've been keeping an eye on the engine oil, and it's not leaking into the oil as of now. This weekend I drove it about an hour up to my parents and the car overheated on me. Knowing that's not a good thing, I pulled over and stopped it before it got a chance to red-line. After waiting and re-filling, I drove it back home and to a mechanic friend. He looked at it, confirmed a intake leak, but it's visible on the outside of the intake, actually dripping on the floor. He told me if I plan on keeping the car a while to have it fixed, but that I could put stop leak in it and it will hold it for some time. He said it could hold anywher from a month to a couple years, just depends. So a couple questions:

1. Will the stop leak even be worth trying?

2. How likely is it to start leaking into my oil? It hasn't for over a year yet, so I'm not in a hurry to drop near 1k more on my car to fix it if I don't have to.

3. How hard is the install on the LIM gasket if I decide to do it myself? I've seen the How To and all, but I know only enough about engines to get me by with knowing if another mechanic is BSing me or not.

atc3434
09-12-2005, 09:22 AM
Ok, first stopleak is the devil. It might work, but the long term effects arn't worth the temporary releif. It'll probably give way again at some point, and I've had it cause clogging in a cooling system before. (Blew a softplug right out of a Chysler 318, the one back by the tranny of course!)

Second, how likely is it to leak into your oil is a question you won't know the answer to till you take it apart. When I had mine done (it wasn't leaking, I had a striped exhaust header bolt, head had to come off the car) it was horrible degraded, on the verge of leaking into the engine. It was good I got to it when I did. You don't want to take a chance on contaminating your oil.,

Third, if you have some decent mechanical knowledge, you should be able to pull it off yourself. I wanted to do my head repair myself, but didn't think I had the time or skill to deal with the valvetrain. If I had it to do over again, I definetly would have done it myself. To just do the LIM doesn't go as deep, it shouldn't be to bad. But only you can be the judge of your mechanical skill. Follow a good manuel, make sure you have torque specs, take your time, and you should be alright.

StephenM
09-12-2005, 10:47 AM
I searched around and couldn't find the how to I thought I had seen before. Anyone know where I can get information on replacing this? I'm pretty sure I can do it myself if I have instructions and pictures to help. Thanks for the reply Andrew!

atc3434
09-12-2005, 11:26 AM
I would spend the money on a chiltons or something that has a detailed instruction set, and hopefully the torque sequence and specs. You'll need those.

Panacea
09-12-2005, 11:26 AM
Haynes Manual can be had at any auto parts store.

StephenM
09-12-2005, 11:30 AM
Do both of these have actual instructions on how to do this, or are they just manuals with pictures and information? I would probably need a step-by-step detailed to even think about it, but it'd be better for me to learn than pay someone since I am interested in these kind of things.

Panacea
09-12-2005, 11:44 AM
They walk you through taking apart your engine. It's a must have if you're working on your car.