Noisy working AC Fix now for $200 or wait till it breaks?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Noisy working AC Fix now for $200 or wait till it breaks??

NorKoastal
09-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Its starting to make a nice little rattle when off... The clutch on the front seems to be dying... I sprayed with some lithium and it worked for about a week.. Im going to remove the wheel well to get a better dose of grease on there.

Should I

A: Pay my $200 deductable (If this is covered) to get fixed at the dealer...

B: Keep spraying Lithium if the AC still blows nice cool air...

Im going :crazy: keeping this puppy quiet..

:gagreen:

Mike Jung
09-13-2005, 04:22 PM
Its starting to make a nice little rattle when off... The clutch on the front seems to be dying... I sprayed with some lithium and it worked for about a week.. Im going to remove the wheel well to get a better dose of grease on there.

Should I

Well, this is a no-brainer lol

Read your warrenty contract.
If it is covered under that contract; get it fixed now.

digitalballz
09-13-2005, 04:56 PM
fix now so nothing else breaks

NorKoastal
09-14-2005, 10:03 AM
Well, this is a no-brainer lol

Read your warrenty contract.
If it is covered under that contract; get it fixed now.

*banana*

MantaGreen97
09-14-2005, 10:09 AM

Should I

Yeah I had the same problem a good few years back on my car. The A/C clutch wouldn't disengage properly so it was grinding away/rattling with the AC off.

To prevent any further possible damage to your compressor (and perhaps just to not be driving around with that awful noise) you should probably just leave your A/C on, until you get it fixed.

I had a $100 deductible on my extended warranty at the time, but I don't think the repair was even over $200 CDN, so while I did pay the warranty deductible because it saved me money, it wasn't that much.

I'd say see how much the repair costs first, because you may not have to pay as much as the $200 deductible for the repair anyway.

NorKoastal
09-14-2005, 07:34 PM
Its a mild rattle that seems to arrive after a short 5-15 minute drive.... The dealers around here charge around 75 just to inspect the car so 125 to get a fix is what Im really looking at... I havent really gotten a good coat of lithium on there yet so I might be able to still supress it.... What other pulleys besides the (tensioner/alternator both new) cause frequent rattle noises???

:gablackbu

MantaGreen97
09-16-2005, 11:09 AM
Its a mild rattle that seems to arrive after a short 5-15 minute drive.... The dealers around here charge around 75 just to inspect the car so 125 to get a fix is what Im really looking at... I havent really gotten a good coat of lithium on there yet so I might be able to still supress it.... What other pulleys besides the (tensioner/alternator both new) cause frequent rattle noises???

:gablackbu

Hmm I think the other pulleys would cause more squealing or whining noises rather than rattle/grind noises. I thought you already had it narrowed down to the A/C compressor clutch. It is a really good idea to just get it fixed or fix it yourself... What's happened is the clutch has failed so the air-gap is not correct between it and the compressor. So when it is disengaged (AC off) it is grinding against the AC compressor still. It isn't a good idea to just lubricate it to supress the noise because it will still be grinding it up. The clutch will need replacing and the air gap properly set, but if you let it grind away you'll probably eventually end up damaging the AC compressor as well which will be a much more expensive problem than a $100-$200 clutch replacement/repair.

Honestly I would just drive with the A/C on until you get it fixed. It will still grind away at engine start though as the clutch won't engage for a little while after engine start (and if the outside temperature gets low enough it won't engage at all ~-5C).

NorKoastal
09-17-2005, 06:16 PM
Turns out The culprit was the pulley above the AC.... The noise wasnt going away completely when the AC was on so I started tightening the pulley above it.. Silent for now..